Can you really even the odds?

crittercontrol

Can you really even the odds?

Post by crittercontrol » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:33 pm

All you boys had me in such a dither to go Chuckar hunting I finally broke down and went. Up rugged hills and steep canyons. Funny thing was though...the birds weren’t there. Rather we found them milling around the grassy and sagebrush chocked foothill bases! And after all that hill climbing...

What a truly enjoyable bird. Beautiful plumage, awesome (albeit deadly) scenery, and good numbers of birds. Was able to get some great points out of Gir as well as some nice retrieves. All were young of the year, and while nearly mature, the birds still had some feathers coming in (and it’s the end of Oct.)

Always,

CJ

sdgord

odds

Post by sdgord » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:44 pm

Critter, as always nice pics nice dog nice scenery.SDGORD

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:16 pm

Nice job man :thumbup:

Even though the cliffs are where most people find them they can be found almost anywhere. Once they get pressured hard they will move to those rugged places untill snow drives them back down.

But since you found them in a easy spot dont tell anyone they will think you are lying :wink: Its also nice to keep a little honey hole to your self.

If you could try and get a pic of that little dog on point. I sure like the looks of your dog. Just want to see more of him

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:29 am

If you could try and get a pic of that little dog on point
I dont get that many pics of her on point on wild birds, most dont hold well around here so I am always ready for the flush, gun ready!

But here she be on our last chuckar hunt....

always,

cj

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:03 pm

Thanks man I sure like her color but mostly I like her size.

Thanks for sharing

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:48 pm

but mostly I like her size
Dont let anybody fool ya, size does matter!

The smaller the better. (wink! wink!)

Seriously, I was somewhat disheartened and scared about her small size (25-30 lbs or so.) Both her parents are field-bred gordons weighing about 45-55lbs, and at one year I dont think she'll be getting any bigger.

Spoken about this in some depth with both my vet and the breeders. She seems to be healthy, no worms,etc. just a small dog.

'Course this is a great thing when it comes to vitality, longevity, and prolonged action in the field! On a four day-40 mile, ptarmigan hunt at 13,000 feet she didn't tire. However she sure doesn't buck the cold very well, and it makes it hella hard to retieve goose sized birds!

Always,

CJ

sdgord

huns

Post by sdgord » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:51 am

Critter, dont worry about the size of the dog in the hunt, its the size of hunt in the dog. She looks perfect to me. My field bred bitch is 21 inches tall and weighs 31 pounds soaking wet at three years. Heat is the only thing that stops them. My dual bred bitch is 24 inches and weighs 50 pounds both have plenty of drive and desire. SDGORD