1st WI Trip of the Year

M1Tanker

1st WI Trip of the Year

Post by M1Tanker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:06 pm

My dad and I moved 56 birds, mostly grouse, during 4 days of hunting northeast WI. I managed to scratch down a grouse and woodcock each over the boys (Baron and Gunner) and my dad scratched down a woody over Gretchen. Panzer (5 month old pup) pointed a few grouse and a few woodies but I wasn't able to get any shots.

Baron and I:

Gunner with a woodcock:

My dad and Gretchen with a woodcock:

The adult dogs worked well. Baron and Gretchen went on a tear on separate days. The first day Baron set 10 grouse in an hour and the third day Gretchen set 8 grouse and 5 woodies in an hour and a half at a spot to remain nameless.

Gunner is still getting into hunting shape after his tumor removal and relying on his experience more than his wheels and worked into a beautiful point on a group of three birds near Iron River, MI. Two flushed ahead and a big hen sat tight enough for me to harvest her on a right to left crosser in the open...you don't get many like that with the birds running like they have been but G-man won this battle:

Heading to Lincoln County Wisconsin tomorrow for a three day tent hunt...hopefully we will have some good hunting!

midwestfisherman

Re: 1st WI Trip of the Year

Post by midwestfisherman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Looks like a great 4 days. Good luck with the weather on your next hunt.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Dave C

Re: 1st WI Trip of the Year

Post by Dave C » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Sounds like you guys had a great trip and those look fine GSP's.

Dave.