Silver Springs State Park, IL...first hunt on Wed.

outdrguyjr

Silver Springs State Park, IL...first hunt on Wed.

Post by outdrguyjr » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:19 am

Has anyone hunted here before? This will be our first trip...we have our reservation and are all set...but any advice on which field to try and pick would be appreciated. I know you have to stay in your draw for the first hour...but after that I understand you are able to hunt anywhere. Thanks everyone....

naperdog

Re: Silver Springs State Park, IL...first hunt on Wed.

Post by naperdog » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:27 pm

do you have a morning or afternoon permit?

outdrguyjr

Post by outdrguyjr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 am

Morning...

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 am

i just ask because if it was afternoon they would force you into their office lot.

I was there this past friday and hunted the OFFICE lot, the cover was still VERY thick and I kind of regretted going there. If you have a pointing dog with any kind of range, chances are you won't see him go on point in much of that field.

I used to hunt Lot 1 quite a bit and enjoyed that field. There are a few corn rows and some decent cover next to them. The walking is a lot easeir and should give the dogs an easier time finding birds. This was the most popular place to go when i was there Friday and i really wish i had been there as well.

Lot 2 is similar to Lot 1 and would be a good 2nd choice if lot 1 is full already.

There are some other places to go out there but i have never been to them. My Uncle tried them out several times and didn't care too much for them and that is why i never tried them out, though I know of guys that won't go anywhere but there.

You should enjoy it there, there fields are pretty sizeable and while i haven't been to many other places to hunt, i beilieve the quality of their birds is pretty good. Don't let the drill sergeant that checks you in intimidate you too much! :D

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:41 pm

Sorry i can't help, but have to say. It is topics like this that make me feel extremely lucky to be able to walk out my door, and hunt in more places that i can imagine. I have never been to a place like you are describing.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:03 pm

I am jealous of you, hunting/training around here is a serous pain in the you know where. the private clubs are a little better but the cheaper public grounds are annoying. Have to show up around 7 am to get a good # and have your choice of fields. Check in at 8, sit around until 8:45, get a run down of the rules/regulations. Then get your gun and dog out to start hunting at 9. Then don't forget to turn in your back patch when you are done so your hunting rights don't get suspended for the rest of the season. All this with 100 other guys around. making matters worse is that i applied for most of my permits in july, so you have to apply in july and really hope nothing comes up to ruin your weekend.

once you get into the field it's not too bad, but it is an annoying production to get there.

outdrguyjr

Post by outdrguyjr » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:44 pm

I agree Naper...it is tough around here to find a decent place to hunt. I have a small farm in western Illinois that holds a ton of birds...but with it being 2.5 hours away...kinda makes it hard to just slip away for the day. Anyways thanks for the information and I will update everyone on how the morning goes.

outdrguyjr

Post by outdrguyjr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:10 am

Limited out in the morning...really plenty of birds and yesterday only 47 hunters. You had to keep an eye on everyone, but I never felt "crowded". Going back in two weeks...