Limit

texscala

Limit

Post by texscala » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:01 pm

It is not often that you take you limit on an upland species in Utah and after 2 years of hunting chukar Sat I was able to take my first limit. First find was on the way up and my pup was on point for close to 10 minutes.

The next 2 hours we climbed and never saw another bird. On the way down we hit 6 more coveys in a 45 minute span. We never chased a single after the flush (not for any reason other than they flew across a canyon I was not willing to work through) and my pup did not bump one covey.

Here are the pics

This was the third covey, I had two in the bag and figured I would get a pic, should have tried a better angle but I wanted to take a few shots.

I ended up shooting 2 of the thirty or so birds that flushed

Here she is bringing back bird #2, I was not sure I had hit it as I shot through a low bush as it crossed to my left. It was shot about 50 yards from where the first one landed and I was admiring the first bird Arrow retrieved thinking about where to start looking for the second when she took off down the hill and I saw her 60 yards down hill coming right back to me. The Force Fetching is sure paying off. She is not perfect yet but she finds them and brings them back.

The days take: Seemed I took three mature birds, one good size juvenile and one smaller juvenile.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Limit

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:19 am

That is great, I bet your pup was happy to be part of the team. Good rewards come with good dog work and good shooting. Looks like that ground is a good place to turn an ankle.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:36 am

congrats- nice pictures-

texscala

Post by texscala » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 am

Ruffshooter wrote:That is great, I bet your pup was happy to be part of the team. Good rewards come with good dog work and good shooting. Looks like that ground is a good place to turn an ankle.

Rick

Arrow had a blast and it was by far her best day in the field. My shooting was better than normal but still not where I would like it to be. I went 5 for 9 on 4 coveys. The area I hunted is one I had always suspected held birds and last spring I took 2 scouting trips that confirmed my suspicions. On the hunt the birds were not where I thought they would be but in the end Arrow sniffed them out and I put them down.

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Great photos thanks for taking us along! She sure looks purdy