At it again

texscala

At it again

Post by texscala » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Went out today hoping to get some pictures of Arrow on point and just hunting in general. I made up my mind that I would take the camera and before shooting the gun would get a few pics of every time she pointed.

45 minutes in she set up

I took a few shots with the camera and then moved in for the flush, After getting 60 yards in front of her without getting anything up I started walking back towards her and 2 birds got up a few feet from Arrow's nose. I swung on the first and was luck to take him after an initial miss. Never saw the second bird again but Arrow brought the first one back.

After a few more hours with zero contacts or sign I decided to climb to another ridge. A bit after getting to the spot I found this and knew they would be somewhere nearby.

No surprise when the beeper started going off,

The birds were quite a bit below in some Maples. I was surprised to see where they came up from and wasted the first shot, blew the next one, but managed to fold one with the third. I never saw where the covey escaped to as I was blinded by the trees so no chasing the singles.

It was a bit of a search to find the downed bird and I was afraid it may have been lost but Arrow came through

We had one more find on the way out and I took my time and made a good first shot.

It has been a pretty good year for us so far. It is amazing what a difference a little shooting practice in the off season can do.

Shadow

Re: At it again

Post by Shadow » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:14 pm

I'd say you've got a good little girl there

awesome country- keep taking your camera

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Ya know this really aint fair. I have to wait another 7 days (6 days 12hrs, and 15 minutes) till phez and quail open here in KS.

Irregardless of that, OUTSTANDING!!!

Looks like you have a good dog, good grounds, and are enjoying yourself. Thanks for the pics!

texscala

Post by texscala » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:35 am

We are lucky to have a lot of public ground available to us in the west. Birds can be few and far between, but every now and again you get lucky. My feet are in really bad shape after this weeks hunts. I will probably have to take it easy and try some birds that like a little more level ground this week. I might try pheasant or huns......

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:51 am

how are your dogs feet-

texscala

Post by texscala » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Over the last couple of seasons I have learned to monitor my pups feet. She goes for a few hour with just her own paws and when I feel that we have been in the rocks for a while I call her back and do a paw check, if there are any signs of irritation I put some inner tubes over her paws and she is good to go all day. On this outing I put the tubes on after about 4 miles and she was fine.

She is ready to go again but I need a few more days.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:21 pm

chuckling- thought I saw bike boots on her

that sure is a beautiful bird- ever thought of mounting one- or do you have

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Tex,

Could we prevail upon you to show us some details of how you do the inner tube / bootie thing for your pup?
What type of inner tubes?
How cut to size?
Materials used?

Pictures...............................?

Thanks

texscala

Post by texscala » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:07 pm

Shadow wrote:chuckling- thought I saw bike boots on her

that sure is a beautiful bird- ever thought of mounting one- or do you have
They are very pretty birds to look at, they are a pain to hunt as they like to run and live in some nasty places. One day I will get one mounted but probably not until after I graduate and make a little $. I took a big ole male last year that tempted me but I know what the wife would say.

fourtrax wrote: show us some details of how you do the inner tube / bootie thing for your pup?
What type of inner tubes?
How cut to size?
Materials used?

Pictures...............................?
Thanks
The inner tube thing is pretty simple, go to a bike shop and look at wide inner tubes. I like to make a slit on opposite sides that make them easier to get on. Cut them so the go to just before the first joint and still hang over the paw a bit. From there I use electrical tape to secure them to the leg, make sure to not go too tight. You can also double the bottom of the tube back up over the pay and tape it again.

One major word of advise is use them on your dog a few times before you go hunting. It takes the dog a couple of times to get use to.

Here are a few pics.

snowicreek

Post by snowicreek » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:10 pm

those are nice lookin birds there pal!
2 Westinghouse's Amos and Andy
Dog Training collars

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Great looking dogs!!! I love the pic of the brit with attitude!!!!! I really like Brittanies, they have so much hunt in such a little package!

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Is that a French or American Brit?
God looking girl anyway.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Tex,
Thanks for the tube / booties info. & pics.

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Seems you can shoot with a gun and a camera, great job and great looking country.

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:26 am

fourtrax wrote:Is that a French or American Brit?
God looking girl anyway.
She is a French Britt. The Black in her nose seems to wear off a bit during the season.

We have had a great season so far and have put more birds in the bag than I thought were possible for us. Last week wile out I passed up on a few shots hoping to get some camera work and had the camera die :( . Anyway Arrow and I ran into a cougar up close and personal. I think a chukar had lit in a little valley and Arrow was on point when the cougar came out, think we caught it sleeping. Pretty crazy stuff.