Hunting Journal NW Iowa

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Hunting Journal NW Iowa

Post by wems2371 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 pm

We were gone to NW Iowa from 11/17-11/22, and had 4 days of hunting. While it wasn't raining roosters, the numbers were far better than in my part of the state. I kept a detailed journal of bird contacts and moments afield with my two GSPs, if anyone cares to read it. While the bird bag came home nearly empty--due to a lot of hens, nervous birds, inexperienced dogs, and a few bad shots--the experience was well worth the trip for man and dog alike.

http://myhuntingadventures.blogspot.com/
...has the Photobucket link at the end of the journal

...or if you'd like to skip the journal and just look at photos, click on this Photobucket link.

jakemaster

Re: Hunting Journal NW Iowa

Post by jakemaster » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Way cool! Great pics in the bucket. :D

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:59 am

Wems.
Very cool story and slide show

Dennis

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Sounds like a good trip! Great photos thanks for sharing! My I ask what your camera is ? looking for a new one to carry in the field.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 am

great photos...how did the pup do?

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Wems,
What a great collection of photos- a great way to never forget your trip........

Really nice.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks for the replys. Having pointing dogs for only 2.5 years now, and never having left our local area to hunt, this was a lot of fun. I'm already thinking about KS or SD next year, and sure had a bad case of the Monday morning blues the day after the trip. :(

Brandi pup did excellent. She had several finds just about every day, but just needs to learn to stop and point at first scent. She does it with launcher birds, but with the phez, she wants to go into a tight little 10' search pattern. And then when the bird flushes, the lesson is sometimes lost, as she's still obcessed with her head down in the scent. Funny enough, the birds hold pretty well for her, as I think she confuses the heck out of them. She had a beautiful rooster point on the last day, and Clint shot too early and then too late on the bird, and in messing with my camera--I totally missed taking a photo too. :evil:

The camera is a Canon EOS XTI, with an 80-200mm lens. It's a little cumbersome in the field, but with my husband usually being the gunner, it's all I have to carry. I've had it about a year, and like it so far. I missed a LOT of bird photos, as I'm just not use to seeing so many birds, and it wasn't until the last day that I actually remembered to put the viewfinder to my eye and push the button. :oops:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Your journal and your pics made we want to tag along with you with my Brits. You recorded the type of hunt I enjoy with the dogs being the focal point and the birds a bonus. And it is alway great to have a photographer to record the memories for years to come. You did a great job and you and your hubby experienced the real joy of having the dogs, enjoying them and the outdoors together.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:30 pm

Very nice. Hope you can find some local exitment this year also. Enjoyed the photos and the story. Good Luck.

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:07 am

I just now read your post! I have been very disapointed in Eastern Iowa bird hunting. I myself am looking at windshield time to get my dogs on birds. Thanks for taking me along on your hunt, threw your blog. I don't carry a camera in the field but might as well because I don't need a shotgun! I am heading out thursday morning for four days of quail hunting in Mo. I am getting out of the deer hunters way. Deer season opens this Sat. Be safe and remember to remove the lense cover!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:19 am

Very nice Denise...I'd say your pretty good with that camera, you ended up with some really cool pictures...I enjoyed reading the Blog as well...Sounds like it was a good time ands the dogs got into some birds, thats always a good thing..

Chip

SamnTuck

Post by SamnTuck » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:07 am

Wems--I absolutely love looking at pictures of your pups. The heavily ticked Shorthairs with a pretty sharp contrast between white and liver is definitely my favorite markings and yours have to be some of the best looking dogs that I've come by. My young pup is shaping up to look pretty similar to Brandi and Roxi, and I'm thrilled. Looks like you guys had a great time out there. I can only hope that my pup progresses like Brandi. Keep up the good work!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks again!

Randy, let me know how you net out in MO. I hope it's good. I've been out a few times locally, and it's the same old story. 10-4 on deer season. I'll be hiding in a duck blind or at a friend's preserve. :roll:

Samntuck--The check is in the mail for the flattery. :D I was looking for more pics of your pretty pup, besides your avatar one, and didn't come across any (hint...hint). :mrgreen:

SamnTuck

Post by SamnTuck » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:31 am

Having only the cameras from an iphone and blackberry cellphone makes it really difficult to get a quality picture of a 14 week wild pup. The only time to get a good picture of him is after a long exercise session when he's passed out. I'll probably have access to a Nikon D-80 after the holiday--I should be able to get some great pictures of him right as I can start getting him on some wild grouse and pheasants. I've been exposing him to lots of types of cover and conditions and he seems like a natural at retrieving to hand.