Latest Hunt-Pup really coming around!

muddycreek

Latest Hunt-Pup really coming around!

Post by muddycreek » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:27 am

Got out for a bit yesterday. There was still 3-4 inches of snow on the ground from the storm that rolled thru earlier last week. Unfortunately we had to hit some of our secondary spots as we got beat to a couple of the best spots. As we pulled up to the first field we were going to hunt off in the distance the birds started to fly out of the grass into the milo across the road, darn mid sesason birds. I decided to put the pup, Gunner, down first. We get about 200 yrds into the field and he locks up and I move in and a hen gets up. We move forward a bit and he is still hot, relocating about 50 yrds out front. I get about 20 yrds from him and the rooster decides to make a break. I got lucky and drop him about 40 yrds. Later in the field the pup and my buddy's Brit were having a bit too much fun with some rabbits. Gunner goes on point right where he had just ran a rabbit and I walk in real non-chalantly and crap rooster! I did regain my composure and drop him. Two down and it's only 8am! A good day already, two harvested over points and two other great points on hard hunted phez by a pup!

After we hit another field, where we drew a blank with my older girl its Gunner's turn again. This field is a couple grass strips and a grassy old pasture in a harvested milo field. We are halfway up the first draw and pup goes on point. The 2 buddies move in and 4 roosters and a hen boil up and they drop 2. I was busy trying to get a pic, but managed to drop the camera to get one sneaking behind the gunners. I was darn suprised those birds sat as well as they did as it took up a bit to get the point. Moving into the pasture Gunner nails a hen and a rooster. The rooster was only winged and required a long search. while we are looking Gunner had looped around behind us about 150 yrds and gone on point. I'm ot sure how long he was pointing as we were concentrating on where we thought the bird landed. I sent one guy over to check it out and lo and behold its our bird, Good Dog!

Quite a few birds boiled out ahead of us back towards the first draw so back we go. As we are walking thru the milo Gunner locks up real nice. Image My buddy drops two.

To sum up the day we harvested 11 roosters and 2 quail in a half day hunt. The pup really did well as we harvested 8 out of our 13 birds over his points and he made a good find on a cripple. Image

bossman

Re: Latest Hunt-Pup really coming around!

Post by bossman » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Great pictures and thanks for sharing!..Gunner only about 18 months?. Well built dog to say the least. Did you train him or get any help?

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:00 am

Thanks for the compliment! I did have him with a trainer for a couple months this past summer, and since then I've tried to hunt him every chance I get. He probably didn't need to go, but things got really busy this summer and I wanted to make sure he got the work and attention he needed.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:50 am

nice- birds are arround

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 am

Well it looks like it sure paid off!!.

brookzee

Post by brookzee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:00 pm

ole gunner. gotta love it. thats a great day.he stacks too. i like it.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:27 pm

Very nice! Great pictures also. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks alot guys! Hopefully I can get some more pics soon. I'm getting ready to head out on a 4 day B-Day present from my wife. Four days of solid hunting wherever in KS I please. I think I'll start in central and work west from there.

Brookzee thought you might like em. Lets see some of his Bro's.