A few Training pics on the Fell

Dave C

A few Training pics on the Fell

Post by Dave C » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:36 am

Had Fern up the Fell for some training this morning, she hunted very hard for 2 hours which i think is enough for a 9 month old pup, even so she stuck to task and i was really proud of the plucky little bitch.

Hope you enjoy the pics

She is in the bracken pushing out a rabbit

Nice retrieve, pushing through the thick bracken

She is a little camera shy and lies down every time she See's it.
The weather was terrible and not much about, but she hunted her heart out, what more can you ask for.

Dave.

brookzee

Re: A few Training pics on the Fell

Post by brookzee » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:28 pm

i love the pics.cute dog. thats a heck of a rock wall. are there wild birds out there. congrats on a successful hunt.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:17 pm

beautiful country Dave !!!
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 am

I love it! Thanks for sharing.

I see your from the UK. I hope this question doesn't sound stupid. I would presume that she is what we call an English lab, but she looks so athletic that she looks more like my American field labs. What English labs I see tend to be chunky. Maybe this is because they have been "bleep" over here by "beauty" contestants in the show dog circles. Anyhow can you clue me in. She is a beautiful athletic looking dog.

Bones302

Post by Bones302 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm pretty sure she is smiling in the first pic! Awesome country by the way.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks for all the kind replies.
Brookzee - All the walls are old stone like that up the Dale and i can only hunt Vermin on this land as it is Keeperd for Grouse.

And LEGLIFTER, thats not a stupid question about Labs, we are destroying them here in the UK with there heavy Rotti heads, the English Labs you know are our Show dogs, but even most working dogs are to heavy and big and only good for a few hours sitting on a Peg.
But there is still strains of hard hunting Labs out there and they are becoming more popular, both Sire and Dam of my pup are Athletic and fast thats why i got her, as if i didnt find them i would of gone for another breed.
My pup hunts more like as keenly as a spaniel but not as crazy and with as much control as i want over her.

Thats my kind of Lab

Cheers
Dave.

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:37 pm

YES!!! Those are beautiful dogs. They look like they could be litter mates to mine.

It really is sad whats happening to these show dogs. I don't think they look good and they don't look healthy to me. This thread isn't about that but thanks for the encouraging news. Congratulations on some fine looking hard working dogs. I hope I see more pics of the country side in the future.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:30 am

I like the looks of that lab of yours. Very athletic looking. Looks like she's turning out to be quite the hunter as well. I was admiring that "fence" as well. Don't think I'd of wanted to be the guy that built that. :lol:

hrchunter

Post by hrchunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:24 pm

hey dave c, how did you go about getting your lab to flush rabbits. that looks like it would be alot of fun. I know a few guys that have rabbit hounds but i've never seen anybody hunt them with a lab. I might like to try it with mine.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Beautiful pics Dave, good looking dogs, and I sure miss the countryside over there, it always had a calming effect on me.....I know sounds corny but it did....
:D
Chip

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, the countryside isnt very calming at the minuet, its either flooding or snowed up, but i know what you mean Chip.

Its easy to get the lab to hunt up, go from retrieves to blind retrieves, by then the dog is hunting where you send it, then just take it on land that holds game and use the same whistle control and hand signal as if you were hunting blind retrieves, when the dog finds live game just blow the stop whistle, shoot the game, then send the dog for the retrieve.
This is how i have hunted all my dogs, Labs, Spaniel and GWP.

Dave.

labman21

Post by labman21 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Beautiful pictures. Looks like a great time. :)
A dog is only as good as his trainer.