This mornings hunt

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

This mornings hunt

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 pm

Just thought I would post some pics from a couple hours out this morning. I hit one field and got my 3 bird limit in about an hour and a half. The hen I did not shoot it was found in the field by one of my dogs injured so I dispatched it and included it as one of my bag, the 2 roosters I shot myself. I would have had my limit sooner but a couple of the dogs wanted to steal points and bump birds from each other and I missed on a couple of shots so it took me a bit longer to limit out. :D

Charlie and Ron if you read this, this was the field we walked near the cemetery and I probably saw 20 birds come off this field today in a short period of time both hens and roosters. They held good for points when the dogs settled down and didn't fly wild at all. I think it was just the intensely cold weather that affected the birds when you guys were here. It was in the 50's today and they did well even in the dry conditions with no wind we had today. Jeff actually got out and hunted well today and even had a point from about 30 or 40 yards back that my setter messed up by trying to steal point or she just did not smell the bird and tried to push it I am not sure which but it bumped the bird anyway. :roll:

The little hunter in these pics are my pup out of my male Elhew and female Fiddler/Miller dogs. She is the only pup I have ever had that never gets car sick, rides quiet like a lady, already unloads on her own and attempts to load on her own, knows and responds to the "Come" command and is bird crazy so I thought I would throw her in the pics. She went along for the ride but stayed in the dog box while I ran the other 3 dogs. A few more months and she might be able to get out and run with the older dogs. She just doesn't have the lungs or legs to do it yet but she does have the drive. :mrgreen:

dualsetter

Re: This mornings hunt

Post by dualsetter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Nice hunt and great looking pup!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for sharing Tom and thanks again for a good time out there. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Looks like fun! It was a great day to be out chasing birds!

P.S. Good lookin pup.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:47 am

Nice job Tom! I wish out work schedules worked out a little better so we could get out together.

Sorry I missed your call last weekend. I was at a field trial Friday through Sunday.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:59 am

Nice pics Tommy and the pup is looking real nice :D

Dave.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks I appreciate the compliments and Dave I really wish we could get together as well. Annie has been running really well this season and I am anxious for you to hunt over her. Maybe one Wed. or Thur. morning we can get together. Give me a call when you get time.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:24 am

Great looking pup you have there. Looks like she has some fire in her already. Bagged out in short time. Doesn't get much better. Your dogs were probably just looking out for you by bumping those birds. They didn't want your hunt to be cut too short.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Sadie__Marie wrote: Bagged out in short time. Doesn't get much better. Your dogs were probably just looking out for you by bumping those birds. They didn't want your hunt to be cut too short.
Tommy doesn't have to worry about his hunt getting cut short because he bags his pheasant limit. He can just drive down the road and start chasing quail. Lucky SOB.....I wish I lived closer.

Thanks again for all the hospitality you showed us and we will see you again next year.

Ron Rawlings
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Tommyboy, Nice looking pup and birds. I have a question though. What are the regs in OK for including hens in your bag or were you hunting on a preserve? Here in Idaho you can't have a hen in your bag no matter whether your dog grabbed it as a cripple or not.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:58 pm

fishvik wrote:Tommyboy, Nice looking pup and birds. I have a question though. What are the regs in OK for including hens in your bag or were you hunting on a preserve? Here in Idaho you can't have a hen in your bag no matter whether your dog grabbed it as a cripple or not.
fishvik, I can answer the first part, no those are wild pheasants. Not that there is anything wrong with preserves. I'm sure it's legal or he would'nt do it. Tommy is an ethical sportsman like myself and those who I surround myself with.

I'm not trying to butt in but I'm bored at work right now.

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:42 pm

The only unethical part would be either shooting the hen myself or taking the hen and then taking a 3rd rooster and not including the hen in my bag limit. Neither of which I did or would do. In Oklahoma that is a many part answer. In Oklahoma we have a game waste law that is I believe about a $250 fine and the fine for having the hen is around $100 fine but since I know my game warden and wildlife biologist personally I could have explained what happened and that would have been good enough to be released with a pat on the back for doing the ethical thing. On the other hand I could have left the injured hen in the field to suffer and eventually die due to her wounds as well. We also have a law against having game in our possession that was illegally taken. My question to you is what is the right decision in your opinion? I chose to dispatch the injured animal and include it in my bag. Did I break the law or do something unethical in your opinion? In my opinion I acted in accordance with what I thought was the right thing to do.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:48 am

I think Good on you Tommy, and looks like you have a young birddog in the making.....good looking pup to boot..
:)

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Thanks I appreciate it. I just don't like to see an animal suffer unnecessarily if I can do something about it especially one that is going to die anyway. Guess I could have left her for the coyotes.