Hunting with a Versatile Dog!

QCBirddogs

Hunting with a Versatile Dog!

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:29 am

A run down of the last 4 or five days....

Friday.....Continental hunt 240 birds released....2 of our dogs had over 100 retrieves.

Sat...Work.

Sun, Wild Quai, hunting with Fine and some young dogs in for training.

Mon, Duck blind by 6 am....first wild ducks shot over Fine! Quail hunting again in the afternoon. Then we were asked to blood track a wounded deer that evening.

Tues, ANother morning in the duck blind, again take Fine for Quail. Home in time to deer hunt ourselves.

Last evening another deer hunter needed our help!

True Versatility......Duck, Quail & Deer Tracking all in one day....TWICE....WITH ONE DOG!

Fine tracked this Buck through some of the roughest terrain & water. We found him at 11:00 last night!

Phil & Gayla
REO

Jon

Re: Hunting with a Versatile Dog!

Post by Jon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:38 am

QCBirddogs wrote:True Versatility......Duck, Quail & Deer Tracking all in one day....TWICE....WITH ONE DOG! Phil & Gayla
REO
Great job, that's why I got my GSP. To do it all... :)

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:58 am

I have a pup coming in February that I hope can do everything you mentioned. That is truely awesome. I know you train your own dogs but can you recommend any type of training books or material to follow?

pear

Post by pear » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:02 am

Great job Phil and Gayla..........I just love the versatility of the GSP....."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:24 am

......Duck, Quail & Deer Tracking all in one day
Yep, my FT bred dogs do it all and pheasants too! :)

Nice buck, how many this year for you two?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:42 am

Phil and Gayla,
Avery tracked a wounded hot dog this week! :lol: How did Fine like the ducks? Avery is looking forward to getting his "ear ink" this weekend and really has his heart set on a sexy mermaid.
Good Job Fine!
We'll see you Sunday,
Steve

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:29 pm

Actually Fine is a DK, and can trial with the best of them too! :lol:

There are some aged training books available to help with the Versatile dogs but, like I mentioned it is very out fo date.

We will be producing several training videos for the Versatile breeds shortly. Done in several segments. Starting with puppy, bird work, blood tracking, fur & feather retrieving to name a few. ALso one on the abilities of, or an introduction to the Versatile dog as well.

This Buck wasn't ours, just a service we offer from our trainnig Kennel.
We are still waiting for our deer, being kind of picky I guess you can say!

Phil
REO

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:32 am

Having use to be a beagle dog owner and hunter I would never allow a hunting dog to track a deer. I had a beagle that did that and it was when the electronic hearing aids (shock collars) were still way too expensive for me.

Versatility in regards to my Brittany Rocket:
-he goes fishing and guards the front of the boat while we are scootign across the lake, then provides security for the rear while we're fishing. Neve lets a fish get away once inside the boat.
-when I shoot a dove he goes and gets it, tries to hunt and point them but they don't hold too well to a dog sniffing them out of a corn field.
-Quail don't stand a chance in hiding from his nose, unless it's sp ungodly dry and windy that he is sneezng hs head off after 10 minutes afield. Then they have a partial chance but the odds ain't good!
-rabbits, if he smells one he'll point it, if it runs he'll watch it he'll make a lightning fast lunge for it and most times he'll grab it and bring it back to me with such excitement! Sometimes I'll ring it's neck and have a rabbit in the freezer later but often I'll place it back on the ground (still stunned) and send it on it's way. And then Rocket will come back and catch it again. (he's the only dog I will allow to do this). Oh yeah if I shoot one he'll bring it right to my feet!
-haven't tried him in a duck or goose blind yet. If I ever do someone come and shoot me for duck or goose hunting instead of chasing quail.
-He pointed/treed a squirrel once and I had to shoot it for him. With the look he gave me when I tried to call him away from it kinda broke my heart too!

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:08 am

personaly I cant wait for the day that I can see a dog of that caliber do all that even if it takes a week. knowing a dog can be that versitale asstounds me.

hows the thumb

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:21 am

Casper,

Your time will come. The fun is starting here again.....we have several pups that will be introduced to training soon too.

THe thumb still has no feeling, and the pains in the gut from the poisions are still there........BUT it's bird season!

Phil
REO

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:13 pm

Versitility is one of the things that led me to a GSP.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:20 pm

kygrousehunter wrote:Versitility is one of the things that led me to a GSP.
Fine is a DK i believe. but GSP's are just as versatile

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:24 pm

DK litterally translated is "german shorthair" :) in english, I asked my mom in law, she is east berliner and full blood german :) so is my wife.

Some belive the german dogs are better than american bred. I have owned both and am happy with either.

I may bring in one from Europe this spring, cost isnt to bad and I have the cash...... but there are some very good GSPs here so I am not sure which way I will go. I want a Dual Champion type this go round.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:50 pm

markj wrote:
DK litterally translated is "german shorthair" :) in english, I asked my mom in law, she is east berliner and full blood german :) so is my wife.

Some belive the german dogs are better than american bred. I have owned both and am happy with either.

I may bring in one from Europe this spring, cost isnt to bad and I have the cash...... but there are some very good GSPs here so I am not sure which way I will go. I want a Dual Champion type this go round.

Totally agree but they are still 2 different dogs. Like saying a Conformation Irish is the same as a feild Irish. Same breed but 2 different dogs.

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:28 pm

O.K., here goes. As you should tell from my few previous post, I'm new here and fairly new to bird doggin'. First off, I assumed the photo with the origanal post had a GSP in it. Second, I'll show my lack of knowledge and ask what a FC is? Feild Champion?
One of those times I need help here. :oops:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:29 pm

Photo is a DK. A good role is that is the dog is black is is most likley a DK. there aint very many black GSP's because they are not accepted by the CKC. Yes FC is feild Champion.

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:35 pm

Thanks Ryan,
I went back and reread thread. I thought someone referred as FC but it was DK.
Looks like GSP though. What exactly does DK stand for?
Sorry for seemingly simple questions.
I think I know but not sure.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:37 pm

Deutch Kazaar (sp?) or GSP in english

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Thanks again Ryan.
Was way off, take your word or guess for spelling, never heard of them. I will do a little research and be more informed.

pear

Post by pear » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Deutsch Kurzhaars (German)
German Shorthair (English)
.... "pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

pear

Post by pear » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:06 pm

Differences can be from, hardly any, to off the scale... From the German import to the American version. Phil and Galya (QCBirddog), or Cindy at Honey Run can explain it best. May be others but I know I can rely on them..."pear"

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:45 am

And there certainly are black GSPs here in the states. I train with a solid black female Master Hunter. (Admittedly, there are german dogs back in the pedigree).

Solid black isn't accepted by the AKC, but there has been discussion for awhile now about whether or not to modify the breed standard to accept it.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

cumberland

Post by cumberland » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:56 am

Gayla wrote an excellent article describing the DK and it can be found at the link below.

http://www.kurzhaar.us/Articles/tabid/5 ... zhaar.aspx

The primary difference between the two remains the testing standard that a DK is held to in regards to both form and function. Before a litter can be registered with the DKV, both parents must pass two hunting ability tests and receive a conformation rating of at least good. These testing requirements help to ensure that the breed maintains it's ability to perform the tasks for which it was developed, and helps to provide some consistency for puppy purchasers to know what they are getting.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:47 am

Just to clarify a few things here....

Black is allowed in the AKC, just not in the show ring. The GSPCA changing standards that have been around 100 plus more years than the GSPCA!

No where in the name DK does the word "pointer" come up in the translation of Deutsch Kurzhaar.

The breeding rules are far superior to the AKC....well cause there are none!

There ar efew GSP breeders in the US that breed for Versatility. But those that do, can have dogs thst compare....But there are many that just breed for certain traits. Just like amny show dogs have had the hunt bred out of them.....Many trial breeds have the Versatility bred out as well.

If you want more information on the breed, or breeding records, let us know.

P & G

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:47 am

Totally agree but they are still 2 different dogs.
I gotta disagree, in my exp with the breed I find great dogs on both sides of the ocean :) the akc dogs originated in Germany, brought here as early as 1900 by some Danish immigrants, then after ww2 by US soldiers and a guy in Montana (he was most recognised). Here tho some tend to breed for one or two traits rather than the whole package. Some feel german dogs are better due to breeding rules, but why would anyone belive american breeders are not up to par with germany? :)

I once fell into this way back in the 80s and up to my last 3 dogs which are out of ft lines. Guess what? they show the very same ability to scent, track, point etc. So I will say to each his own and happy hunting to you. My dogs do what I want them to do as every single GSP has done I have had the pleasure of hunting with.

My first was pure hege-haus, a friend of my Dads had an accident broke his back, could nt hunt so he gave me the dog, my first. He wasnt cheap to bring over according to dad but he wanted the dog to go to a hunter and at the time I was hunting 5 or 6 times a week and working nites at my dads bar.

So now I am looking at dual champion type dogs for my next male. Or I may just import another, havent made up my mind yet. Look around at the actual dogs here in the USA, you may be surprised at what you find.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:23 pm

QCBirddogs wrote:Black is allowed in the AKC, just not in the show ring.
:oops: That's what I meant to say when I said "accepted by the AKC" (as mentioned, the solid black dogs I train with are AKC hunt test titled).
QCBirddgos wrote:The GSPCA changing standards that have been around 100 plus more years than the GSPCA!
Huh? I don't understand what you're saying here.

I think allowing solid black would be a good thing, and should have been done by now by the AKC. If I'm not mistaken, solid black DK's are allowed in Germany, right?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:49 pm

Steven,

I knew what you meant, just wanted to clarify what was allowed and where for others. Many folks dont know.

When I said the GSPCA changed the rules....I meant...they made up new standards for a breed that already had standards for the past 100 hundred years, prior to the GSPCA even organizing. The size regulations are even different for some reason....go figure!

Black, solid, patched and or ticked is allowed in Germany. At one time there were three different registry books.....The Liver and White book, Black book and GREY book! Now they are all in one barring the Grey....The Weims have their own registry now.

You are not allowed to breed for color in Germany, or here for that matter, though.

Mark,

I didnt say the German breeders were better.....The German standards are by far SUPERIOR to ours....Thats fact. The Germans have them.....WE....well dont have any!

I do agree there are some great dogs in this country....I own both GSP's and DK's...Many of them in fact. American bred DK as well as German bred DK's plus American GSP's too. There is a distinct difference betwen the two breeds. GSP and DK.

Phil