New dog

knowlzy1824

New dog

Post by knowlzy1824 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Looking to get a new dog but a little timid about the idea. I'd like to invest in a GSP but with my inexperience I am not sure I want to mis-train a good dog. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: New dog

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:01 pm

knowlzy1824 wrote:Looking to get a new dog but a little timid about the idea. I'd like to invest in a GSP but with my inexperience I am not sure I want to mis-train a good dog. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Read some books and/or watch some dvd's. Have a plan ahead of time and you won't be so nervous about getting the puppy.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Try finding a trainer or breeder in your area. Talk with them, maybe buy a started dog off of them, make it clear you are new to dog training and they might get alot of phone calls from you.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:41 am

NAVHDA is a great place to learn and participate for all ages and abilities. They have birds, trainers, other dogs, grounds and plenty of help.

Also get George hickox series of DVD from puppy development to a finished gun dog. Then just let your puppy be a puppy to learn about its surroundings, turn him loose in the fields and woods (as long as it is safe). Have quail to plant in the fields for the pup to find on it own. Let this pup learn confidence and independence. Don't talk too much in the field, you will confuse the pup.

Delmar Smith DVD and books are great too.

I Hear the perfection series is good to.

Just pick one system and stick too it. If you choose bits and pieces of different information you will get confused and so will your dog. (Voice of experience hear).

Good luck, enjoy the puppy. Let him enjoy being a puppy.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:09 pm

GSP is a good choice for a first time pointer.
alot are natural at most things and training is easy.research your bloodlines and go from there.I reccomend getting your dog from a well known kennel.
A brittany would be a good choice also.

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:28 pm

Queen (4 mos. old now) is our first GSP. She is our first hunting dog. We did the research way before we got her. We had everything ready for her when we got her home. She was whelped in Missouri and we drove to North Alabama to pick her up. I am doing all the training, and it is really fun. This forum helps alot, as does our vet. Queen is very alive in the field, comes to the whistle, has a very soft mouth, knows the basic commands and so far the blank pistol has had no effect on her. She is already beloved by us and our dog crazy neighbors. Good luck, and move forward.