Preserve Hunt Photo Slideshow

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Preserve Hunt Photo Slideshow

Post by wems2371 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:34 pm

This is a photo slideshow from a preserve hunt we were graciously invited to this weekend. While we have scratch hunted wily pheasant, that survived the season at a friends preserve, we had never hunted on newly released birds before. Not knowing what to expect, we figured it would be at least some nice bird exposure for Roxi. It turned out to be a blast.

We arrived at 8 am, on a foggy cold morning, as the preserve owner was putting out the first round of birds. They were mostly placed in multiple food plots, as our heavy winter snows have flattened and filled any other type of cover. So 5 of us, with 4 dogs headed out. The action started immediately, with solid points and some fine shooting. It did take Clint a second to pull the trigger on his first hen shot, as he remembered all was fair game here. As usual, I stuck to my camera and left my 20 gauge at home. Midway through the morning, we put Roxi up, as she and her littermate Dakota are bigger running and were monopolizing the field to some degree. But before we did that, it was comical as owners, to not recognize our littermate dogs at times—with us calling for Dakota and Dakota’s owner calling for Roxi. Dakota is a terrific dog, and could teach Roxi a thing or two about backing and making quicker retrieves. GWP Clyde’s owner says Clyde IS an ugly dog, but that sure didn’t stop the furry beast from putting birds in the bag. Jack is a beautiful GSP working on his talent with his new owner, after having 4 owners in 3 years. He started the morning being very close working and timid, but opened up a little and nailed a couple good points later on. None of the dogs are steady to wing, so you’ll see a few chasing birds in the pics. I believe 24 birds were put out, and we ended up with 20 on the tailgate. There was a missed shot, an unsafe shot, and a couple birds that were never found.

When all was done, I turned Brandi loose to burn off some steam. We chose not to hunt her, at her age, due to the multiple dogs and shooters afield. Wish I hadn’t taken my pack vest off, with my camcorder in it, because she was tearing up the field. She was galloping across the open ground full bore and leaping through the food plots, to discover snow up to her sides. I also wish, that us numbskull owners had thought to buy a pheasant for her or at least bring a pigeon, but she was having fun in her element regardless.

So although it was different than hunting wild, it was still a terrific time afield—resulting in some nice dog work, meat in the freezer, and new found friends.

(Roxi is in the full vest w/orange top and Dakota in the orange skid plate)
http://www.vimeo.com/9649470

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Preserve Hunt Photo Slideshow

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Nice wems

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Looked like fun! :)
Very Nice

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Great stuff..Thanks for sharing!!

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 am

Very nice you sure have some talent with that camera. Great way to catch and keep some good memories.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 pm

You certainly got some awesome photos....Sounds like you had a really great time!!
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Kuel vid...........can you shoot tat 20ga. as good as you shoot pics?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Noooope. :D

1doogie

Post by 1doogie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:15 pm

I wish I could take pic like that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ....THANKS for sharing!! Wish I coulda seen Brandi though!!! :D

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 am

Fun stuff! Nicely done!

Sniper John

Post by Sniper John » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Nice! Thanks for sharing

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 pm

I think you should charge folks to take hunting pics of thier dogs. Would be the same as doing it in studio, but more fun for everyone. I think you take great pics!
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:47 am

PRETTY COOL!!!! I LIKE:}