Arizona quail hunting

Dirtysteve

Arizona quail hunting

Post by Dirtysteve » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:00 pm

I am heading down on January 13 and having never hunted these before wondered if there are any tips to help us be more successful?
Thanks in advance

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:55 pm

I always just hit the dry creek beds. they like to run so your dog might need a few to learn to handle them. good luck.

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:36 pm

hawk call, after that first covey flushes lay on your hawk call and hopefully you can work the singles and get some points that way. I find it better if you can get your dogs to work in close.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:23 am

Thanks for the info
Do any of you use boots on your dogs, if so what kind? I was told the cactus will tear a dog up?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:12 pm

carry a fine tooth comb and needlenose pliers with you..genrally a dog will have one major altercation with the thorny plants and learn quickly after that again generally...the comb gets out the major chunks and the needlenose for the spines...

as for boots...you can get some lewis boots or carry gauze vet wrap and duct tape and a set of kids sissors..wrap the paws with a good layer of gauze then cover with vet wrap and then seal that with duct tape be sure not to make any of the wrapping tight..check every little while and apply more duct tape as needed..it is easier to cut and peel away the dut tape set up then a lewis boot if they get the thorns embedded in the boot...I have seen this happen and if the catus does get embedded in the duct tape set up when you cut that away and pull stright out more often then not you'll pull the thorns along with it and use new..once you have to cut the boots then you are SOL with nothing if your needing paw protection and in the middle of a hunt.

also if it does get warm where your needing only a T shirt to walk around...be alert for rattlers...they will come out during the warm part of the day to sun them selves on rocks...not that it is a hugh issue during the winter but if there is a few days of 70 + degrees they will do this.

If your coming in January we are in coolidge we are in Texas till then and offer Snake avoidance training if your dog hasn't had that..this will help assure that your dog will not go in and check out the snake.allowing him to get bit in the face or neck area..won't help the accidental run over if a dog doesn't see or smell the snake but we snake train all our dogs and they ahve a vaccine out now which is great added insurance...I call Snake avoidance training Insurance and the Vaccine Uninsured motorist

as for the birds they are runners when you see them fly work that area out for the young ones which will hold a bit...sandy washes
Cold mornings are the best they do hold better then

Have fun..gambles do take a bit for a dog to learn but once they figure it out......
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.