Grouse Hunting in Virginia?

RH_Setters

Grouse Hunting in Virginia?

Post by RH_Setters » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:10 pm

Hello Everyone I am new to this forum so this will be my first post 8)
I was wanting to see if any one is having any luck with grouse hunting in Virginia? I have been hunting grouse for about 14years here in Southwest Virginia and years past the number of grouse has really dropped and it has been very poor hunting. But in the past 3 years I have been getting up a lot of birds for this area. On quite a few days I have got up between 15-20 + flushes in a 2-3 hour hunt and the lowest number of flushes I've got has been 2 in one hunt, and thats only happened about 2-3 times in the past 3 years. I went out the other day 12-27-05 it had just snowed the night before about 2inch. Myself and my hunting buddy took our 2 ryman/hemlock setters and went to some of our favorite grouse cover and hunted for about 2hrs and got 10 flushes. 2 flushes was probably the same bird, but the rest I am pretty sure was not the same bird. So to say I'm happy is an understatement . Once again hello to all and God Bless.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:33 am

RH_Setters

Post by RH_Setters » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:44 pm

Thanks Grant...I have read the article before, and it is a good article. I live approximately 35 to 40 min away from the Town of Grundy that is mentioned in the article and have been there many times. Alot of the grouse cover I hunt is close to that town.

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Hunting south east Ky. Birds are few and far between. Guess they relocated to virginia. :)