Great basin Chukar hunt

crittercontrol

Great basin Chukar hunt

Post by crittercontrol » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:33 pm

After the last few attempts had failed (I was getting dangerously close to becoming an alcoholic) we finally got into some birds today.

A friend was gracious enough to take us to an area he knew held birds and it certainly didn’t fail to please this time out.

We got some fine points from all the dogs, and some great retrieves as well (one several hundred yards.) The weather had the birds holding nicely and there wasn’t much running involved. As such the expletives were down to a manageable level, for a chukar hunt anyway.

Here's one of our hosts holding a freshly downed bird. What a pastel!

A nice pic of 12-volt with his Beautiful pointers

And naturally one must include a pic of Gur with a foolish single. Not quite quick enough...

Hopefully the weather will be bad enough I won’t have to work this weekend, and we can head up north for some end-of-the-year action. Hope your weekend is off to a great start, and you work the dogs and stretch the legs out over the weekend (awe heck, maybe even work your liver a little come Saturday night! :wink: ).

Always,

Caleb

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:02 pm

Caleb, I take it 12 volt must be one of the host's the way you are kissin up to him. :shock: :P :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:56 pm

Heck no, we got treated to the location of a honey hole by some friends. Caleb just knows that Pointers are the best looking breed ;)

It was a nice day. I can't believe it is the end of December and we were out hunting in this kind of weather.

Addict, Critter Control, Myself, and a two others headed out early this morning with 7 dogs and all day to chase the mighty chukar.

I think we ended up with 12 or so between everyone. We hiked over some wicked terrain and that was just the stuff I did. I took it easy on the ole knee. All the other guys were climbing straight over the mountian. There was a former Marine leading the way and he showed 'em no mercy.

Here are some of my pictures from the day.

Sorry for the repeat. That one just deserved to be framed.

:D

This one is hard to see just how scary it was. I walked up to a ledge to look over it. Cooper joined me and as he looked over I thought it was a nice photo opportunity. As I snapped the picture he decided to go over the ledge. It was about a 10 foot drop. He landed on his feet and went on his way.

This shows a little bit of the kind of terrain we found the chukars in. Cowboy is off in the distance.

Here is Addict and one of his dogs "Lady"

Chukars.

Addict

Post by Addict » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:10 pm

It was an awesome trip! Finally got into some birds and my dogs did well. Both my gsp and gwp had some great points, retrieves and backs!

Thanks CC for setting this trip up. It was great to meet up with 12volt and CC again. Had a great time and look forward to the next trip.

I am hooked on the elusive chukar and hope to get out and chase them soon again. I definately will sleep good tonight!

Addict

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm

I am hurt you guys! I have two cell phones a home phone and a computer at work and at home and I never seen one invite!

Glad you guys had fun while I have been fighting off this nasty ars flu that is going around! Wed I was sure I was going to die, Thursday I did die and today I went to work and hopped I could pass it on to all the bad boys and girls!
Ya I am a statistic here in Utah with this bad bug going around!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:18 pm

Sorry TAK. I wish you were there. We didn't nail the trip down till late last night.

I have been down with the flu too. I did't get out of bed yesterday. I felt ok today, but I am feeling like I probably shouldn't have been out in the cold all day. I might be regreting it tomorrow.

Two of my kids are sick too.

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:24 pm

I get sick once a year but let me tell you it is a good one when I do!
I hope some time this weekend I can get out after some Chukars I heard a few while Coyote hunting last week. I have been hunting the yotes pretty hard from my house to Lake Powell, Richfield, Loa, the Henrey Mtn's, Moab, and the La Sal Mtns many miles in the o'l truck! and Orson can't shoot straight!

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:02 pm

Great pics guys thanks
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

surf n' turf

Im hurt!!

Post by surf n' turf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:34 pm

12 Volt, what, no picture of Miss belle Im hurt :lol: :lol:

here, this will make the post complete!!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:41 pm

Sweet. Glad you made it to the forum. Everyone extend a warm welcome to surf 'n turf, our host for today's adventure.

surf n' turf

thanks

Post by surf n' turf » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:52 pm

12 Volt, had a good time today, look forward to doing it again!!

joe

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:29 am

Now when you guys are ready to see some birds You know where to find me :wink: :wink:

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:16 pm

Decided to use the old license one more time before it expires this year. Was windier than heck out there, and boy are they fast when the fly with the wind.

Didn’t get any points, and only saw one covey. They were already airborne when I saw them and flying swiftly over our heads. Shooting was futile. However, we caught 2 birds on the reflush. One was dropped immediately, but the other performed the old “sail into eternity then fall dead from the sky,” routine. Thankfully Gur found him; a nice mature bird.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:09 pm

Did you guys hunt south or east of Payson.

Welcome Surf&Turf always nice to see someone from the town I was born in. ( many years ago)
Billy

surf n' turf

payson

Post by surf n' turf » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:35 pm

we hunt west of payson, in the west desert.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:08 pm

Sorry I meant west, some of those hills & valley in the background look familiar. East would have put you into to many people. I have family in Santaquin & Goshen. Anyway thanks for the pics its always nice to see Utah and that the birds are being chase.
Billy

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:27 pm

We are getting a nice crew from Utah on this forum. You might as well pack it up and move back. We are having a major invasion of Californians moving here. Might as well have another bird dogger.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:36 pm

It has cross my mind many times 12 voltman, but I have grandkids here so I'll stay. Besides I don't think I could kept up with you young guys, but I really enjoy reading your posts and love the photos of the old homeland. :lol:
Billy

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:06 am

Those pics looked like the West Desert, CC threw me off when he said you were in the "baisin".

Great pics, looks like you and the dogs had a great time.

Rut

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:31 pm

Rutt
Can you believe they drove right by our houses without so much as a howdy :x I won't even get into the no invite part :evil:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks like it was a good hunt.
Only 28 more days left, anybody want to go out this friday?

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:08 pm

I might want to go! I have to make sure if I can swing it this Friday? I will let you know by Thursday! I know I can make it forsure on Sunday? But it has to be down hill and the truck has to be at the bottom every time!

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:16 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:Rutt
Can you believe they drove right by our houses without so much as a howdy :x I won't even get into the no invite part :evil:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks like it was a good hunt.
Only 28 more days left, anybody want to go out this friday?
I know how you feel It's not like I did not take him to some of the finest Pheasant and Quail hunting areas where I only found him taking a nap in the water! It burns, but the hurt will go away and one day you too can be calest as he!
Wait you are! When was you going to Arizona hunting! :twisted:

surf n' turf

friday

Post by surf n' turf » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:13 am

if you guys want to go out friday i have a spot that i have only hunted once this year and i want to hit again. i moved five coveys on it last time. problem is my pup is laid up for at least another week, so if you dont mind providing the dogs............. let me know

surf

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:18 am

What time and where do we meet?

Addict

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:34 am

Surf
Let's plan it !
Where and what time.

TAK
I know who you work for so I know you can swing a friday off :D

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:48 am

Did you guys intentionally plan this on the one Friday I can't make it? You can still go, but you have to promise not to shoot all the birds!

Rut