2010 Kansas Bird Hunt

njp158

2010 Kansas Bird Hunt

Post by njp158 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:23 pm

My father and I are planning a bird hunt this year to Kansas the week of thanksgiving. I"m in the initial stages of doing my research, but at this point I think we are headed to the N.W. part of the state, probably like the areas surrounding Hayes. We are looking to get a mixed bag of birds, but probably hit pheasants the hardest. Thats where I came up with the N.W. part of the state, however, if anyone out there has other thoughts I'm open to suggestions. I'm just looking for some advice on anyone thats been there already. Where to hunt, a cool bar or restaurant, nice hotel, helpful websites, whatever.

SuperHank

Re: 2010 Kansas Bird Hunt

Post by SuperHank » Thu May 13, 2010 2:34 pm

NW is great for quail and pheasant. Lots of good walkin places. Try around Phillipsburg and Norton get the state walkin guide. After you are there a couple days start to meet people at dinner ask around and you will be surprised that they welcome out of state hunters. If you need another place move south to the Flint hills lots of quail at time not as many pheasant in south but there are huntable numbers. Opening weekend will be crowded but drops way off after.

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 pm

I went out to nw kansas last year totally blind, other than the internet research that I had done. Had a phenomenal trip. Get the walk in area map before you do anything else. We hunted these areas exclusively for 4 days in a local area and never returned back to the same area twice, and still did not hunt even half of the area's available there locally. Great program there in Kansas. You will find that some areas are more productive than others, so my advice would be to move to the next area if you are not seeing the birds in the first 20 minutes or so of your hunt. We were able to see plenty of phez, got into some nice quail coveys, and also had a few shooting opportunities at prarie chickens. We went the first week of december so the chickens were real jumpy by then, but the phez and quail were still abundant and cooperative for the dogs. Good luck to you, hope your trip is as great as mine was!
You live by the river, you die by the river

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Sun May 16, 2010 4:44 am

same time i went last year and around the same area. Because of the wet weather a lot of crops were left...and I did so so....my friends went about a week or so later at that first good snow and wore them out....If all goes well I want to head out there around 1st week of Dec.

boberosagundogs

Post by boberosagundogs » Thu May 27, 2010 1:00 pm

We are heading out there the same week. Been there several times always a great hunt. 4 bird limits and quail equals all day hunting fun. Shifting from SD and ND for the past 5 seasons, and heading back to KS :D The Last trip there was snow, our springers were pulling quail from snow banks. A great memory.
Bobeosa Gun Dogs-Professional Gun Dog Training
http://www.boberosagundogs.com

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 pm

There might be some helpful info here - http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I live inthe N.W. corner of the state, I am a professional guide.If I can be of any help please private messages me and we can go from there, I have conections in other parts of the state to help your hunt out too.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy