Bird Hunting South Central MT

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Bird Hunting South Central MT

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Anyone have input into sharptail and hun hunting in south-central Montana? Specifically, near the Red Lodge, Nye, Columbus triangle.

Greg J.

Rich Heaton

Re: Bird Hunting South Central MT

Post by Rich Heaton » Thu May 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Greg,,,, why do ya want to go that far south and that far west? IMO the better bird hunting is in the east?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri May 28, 2010 6:11 am

My hunting partner has friends in that area that he'd like to visit.

Thanks for answering, Rich. I appreciate it.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Fri May 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Greg,,,, I do know there is some good hunting in those parts. The person that could be of most help would be Austin Turley he lives in Laurel. If your interested I can make the introduction and you can pick his brain.

lucky guy

Post by lucky guy » Mon May 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Good timing, I was just logging on to ask about it too. A buddy and I are thinking about going back to eastern Montana this fall. We're wondering about some spots along the way where we could pull off the road for a day and hunt huns or pheasant or anything with feathers for that matter! We hunted around Miles City and east of there last season. We had really good luck on sharptails. I could give you a rancher's name if somebody needed a reference.

Thanks.

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 am

Greg I have access to 3 ranches in that area, Hardin area, Red Lodge and right across the border into Wyo. Hardin is the best area I've scouted of the 3. I also hunted N of there on some of the block management areas and had good success.

Gunner1214

Post by Gunner1214 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:04 pm

I am looking to head to eastern Montana for the opener to hunt sharpies and Huns. This will be my first trip to the big country with my two shorthairs. We hunt pheasants for the opener in South Dakota but want to try Montana out for a different hunt. Anyone got any input or starting points? It will be myself and two dogs. I am not looking for anyone to give away the honey hole just a place to start and prefer not going the big lodge/outfitter way.

Jack
Tarheel55@att.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Look into the block management program... It's like the PLOTS program in North Dakota.

mm

Post by mm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 am

Gunner
I went to eastern MT last year and hunted the block managment property using the guide book from the state and some local help. I thought it was great saw lots of birds I dont think you can go wrong. It is big though and it was hot, tough on the dog.
mm