What do you do with birds

mm

What do you do with birds

Post by mm » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Last ear I went out west with a camper and we ate or froze our birds. This year I am going by car and staying in hotels. What do you guys do with birds you shoot when you are away form home? I dont want to waste them.
mm

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: What do you do with birds

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Bag them up and put them in a cooler.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Breast 'em, vacuum seal and many motels have a small fridg to freeze...then on to a cooler/ice as necessary, froze or not.
Birds react to aging well if kept cool.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Breast 'em, vacuum seal and many motels have a small fridg to freeze...then on to a cooler/ice as necessary, froze or not.

Depending on where and what birds you are hunting, most states require to leave a leg on pheasants, but I skin and gut them, but leave them whole and bag them and keep the ice fresh. This year I will be vacuum sealing them.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Take one of those little weber gas grills that are like 18x8 and folds up......cook em as you harvest em.
http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_deta ... d=5&mid=29

I ate duck and upland birds almost exclusively last year for 6 weeks while I was out there.
Some nights I ate the choice pieces and the dogs got the scraps.

BTW I lost 23 lbs in that time 8)
Last edited by birddog1968 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:51 pm

ACooper wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Breast 'em, vacuum seal and many motels have a small fridg to freeze...then on to a cooler/ice as necessary, froze or not.

Depending on where and what birds you are hunting, most states require to leave a leg on pheasants, but I skin and gut them, but leave them whole and bag them and keep the ice fresh. This year I will be vacuum sealing them.

Right, for pheasant we leave a cutdown wing on to better fit in a bag...by breast 'em I did not mean to fillet the meat off.
I would guess the cutdown wing in not quite kosher but so far so good.

I have found it easiest to vacuum seal if the birds are totally dry, FWIW.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:50 pm

i take the breast and the two legs/thighs. I just can't bring myself to waste them as I was taught if you kill it you use it. Still think it is good advice.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Yep to all of the above. Also, if you can freeze them on the road, buy dry ice and seal them in a cooler - duct tape all around the lid and the ice will last a number of days. Exposure to oxygen is what causes most of the dry ice to "evaporate."
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:32 pm

when on a two or more day hunt, and sometimes hunting two states- make sure to date and label each package- you can completely package game as long as it's labeled- so as not to exceed your daily or possession limit

think transport- but when at your motel you are processing- same as in your freezer at home

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Take one of those little weber gas grills that are like 18x8 and folds up......cook em as you harvest em.
http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_deta ... d=5&mid=29

I ate duck and upland birds almost exclusively last year for 6 weeks while I was out there.

BTW I lost 23 lbs in that time 8)
Were you that bad of a shot?? :lol: :lol: That is why I would have lost that much weight. :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:09 pm

LOL.... :oops:

Na I think it was the chasing 2 pointers for 6 weeks+ duck hunting for 14 days....plus I didn't drink a soda in that time and I was kinda on an Atkins diet :mrgreen:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mm

Post by mm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:49 am

I am planning to be gone a week to 10 days. I think I will bring the small grill and eat some. I would like to bring some home what vacum packers do you guys use on the road. I have never had one of these I think I will get one. How long can you keep the birds vacum packed and just cold. If I can freeze at hotels or buy dry ice I will, I will have to see when I get there. Plan on hunting eastern Mt.
mm

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:34 pm

If your going to be in the same area hunting for a week fined the local meat locker, we have had very good luck with useing them to keep your birds frozen tell we leave. Some motel, Hotels have freezers also just ask. I have also used die ice when I can fine it out of town. Good luck hunting!!

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:40 am

"I ate duck and upland birds almost exclusively last year for 6 weeks while I was out there.

BTW I lost 23 lbs in that time 8)"

birddog1968... That's a great idea!!! now all I gotta do is talk my wife into letting me go on this "new" diet...
"it's out west honey, and it's works great"... :idea:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Depend's on what time of year your going; Ive alway's went the end of Nov., so I just cleaned and put on Ice in a cooler, then at night just left the cooler out side in a secure place and just cracked open a little and they froze with the night air, next day just kept them in the cooler; never had a problem.
It allways got below freezing every night.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:35 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:

birddog1968... That's a great idea!!! now all I gotta do is talk my wife into letting me go on this "new" diet...
"it's out west honey, and it's works great"... :idea:
:lol: Good Luck with that :wink:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Many hotels in bird country have cleaning facilities and freezers- then put them in cooler when leaving and into next one when you arrive- be careful of possesion limits and labeling regs. For a qucik trip we just use a cooler- I also eat some by having a crock pot in room.

allaboutourdogs

Post by allaboutourdogs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:03 pm

Whenever we(my friends and our dogs) hunt, we make it sure that we bring a big cooler full of ice. After hunting, we place the birds in a vacuum sealed container and put them in the cooler. In that way, it would still be close to fresh when cooked.
I love Alex, the best German Shepherd dog I've ever had... :)