Sundays best

crittercontrol

Sundays best

Post by crittercontrol » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:19 pm

After moping around the house all morning, and getting awful depressed, Gur and I decided to head out for Chukar.

We were trying a new area today, and were lucky enough to meet a cheery fellow already parked at my destination. He was suiting up and getting his dog, an English Cocker Spaniel, prepped and ready for launch. After conversing for a bit, he offered to let me tag along with him. The desert is a dreadful, lonely place, so of course I accepted. :wink:

Must have walked a good five miles with out so much as a flush. We did however see lots of sign, and even found a couple of old chukar nests.

After that, I shot off to another spot. The area was mostly grass, with very little “cliffage” (it’s a chukar hunters term, honest!) merging into Juniper higher up. We found tons of sign, some very recent, but then it started....

So back to the truck we raced. Amidst the blowing sleet and howling wind I managed to witness a covey of chukar bolt off the other side of the ravine we were working. They sailed off in the opposite direction right into the storm. Gur looked up at me, looked at the birds, then looked in the direction of the truck and started running!

Was able to get this pic before the white stuff started falling...