1st hunt

bigbyrd97

1st hunt

Post by bigbyrd97 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:45 pm

I took my brother and his friend on their first pheasant hunt over Christmas. Had a great time. I warned them that sometimes they flush when you least exepct it, well my brother found out the hard way when one flushed right under his feet. Spooked him bad enough to miss his next couple of shots. An embarassing moment for me--My brothers friend said his back started hurting, in the few seconds my attention wasn't on the dogs they both locked up on point. When I turned back I was like what the heck is this and the pheasant flushed. I missed the shot and a chance at a great picture. :oops: The dogs were only about 10 feet away and my brother had a good laugh. On a positive note I turned my brother on to pheasant hunting and we will go again next year :D

A couple of pics

sdgord

Post by sdgord » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:01 am

Nice pics, where in SD are you located? We have gordons and one weim. Sounds like our weather is about to turn to crud again. SDGORD

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:12 am

Love the pics! Good to see more Weims..............even the blue one. :wink: Great story too, glad to have another pheasant chaser out there.

surf n' turf

?

Post by surf n' turf » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:17 pm

Are those hens in the picture? I am guessing you were on a preserve?

Ryan

Re: ?

Post by Ryan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:35 pm

surf n' turf wrote:Are those hens in the picture? I am guessing you were on a preserve?
The one on the far right looks to be a hen. The other looks to be like a young rooster. Probally a late hatch.

bigbyrd97

Post by bigbyrd97 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:31 pm

sdgord Thanks, I live in Belle Fourche west of Rapid City, where are you located? We've missed most of the bad weather over here. Do you ever hunt test or field trial your dogs?

Surf n' turf Yes we hunted on a preserve, there are five roosters and two hens in the picture. Where I live in western SD there are 4 counties that have only a 15 day season on pheasants. My brother was suprised when our guide said we could shoot hens. The place also had grouse, huns, and quail.

bird dog 67 thanks, I was glad to see there are more weim guys on this forum. The blue one(Shadow) I got her from the animal shelter and she is a pretty good hunting dog. Unfortunatly, my brother lives in Oklahoma, so we won't be able to go again until this winter. He and I are looking forward to it. Maybe I can go there and hunt quail.

sdgord

first hunt

Post by sdgord » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:42 pm

bigbryd97, we are in Mitchell. We do field trial and hunt test our dogs. One of my Gordon girls has done quite a few horseback field trials, the other female gordon is more suited to walking trials and is going to be a good hunt test dog. The weim has a JH but is master broke if the mood and the moon align correctly.She sustained a shoulder injury that limits the amount of work I can put her out for. But I hunt her at least an hour every time I load them into the trailer. We wind up running out of state most of the time to do hunt tests etc the GSP club of SD has a hunt test and field trial at Beresford so thats the closest one we get to do. SDGORD

bigbyrd97

Post by bigbyrd97 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Sdgord, being east river I bet there are lots of places to hunt. And the mood and moon is so true. Do you know of any other hunt test/walking field trials in SD or close to SD? I am trying to get started in hunt test/field trials, but really haven't been able to find a whole lot of information. Does the GSP club have a web site. I am going to a gun dog challenge in two weeks, maybe I'll find out more there.

sdgord

hunt tests

Post by sdgord » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:58 am

bigbryd, if you go to the AKC website and go to the events tab, go to the drop down boxes for and click on hunt test go to the state drop down box and pick the state you want. You will find that Mn and Neb have lots of hunt test and walking field trials. If your dogs are young enough for derby stakes they do not have to be steady to wing and shot. In gun dog stakes am or open they do need to be steady. In hunt tests JH is pretty basic, show that they are hunting and hold a point for a minimum of a three count. Senior the dogs need to be steady to wing, retrieve honor and look like they are hunting. Master hunter dog needs to be steady wing shot fall and steady through the other dogs retrieve. All the rules and etc are listed in the AKC website. Just not enough pointing dog clubs in SD. SDGORD

bigbyrd97

Post by bigbyrd97 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:11 pm

sdgord, thanks for the info. Your're right about the lack of clubs in SD. You would think there would be a few more. I might try some of the places in COLO. I'm going to try and make it to the trials/test in Beresford, hopefully I will see you there.

sdgord

1st hunt

Post by sdgord » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Bigbryd, we will be there for the hunt tests for sure, it depends when the GSP club of SD has their field trial if I will be able to make that or not. If I do run a dog or dogs in their field trial I will be walking since I do not own any ponies. It can be done but seems to make some of the handlers uncomfortable. We are planning to go to Neb in Feb for their walking field trial. Some of the best grounds we have ever been on at Branched Oak. If you do make it to Beresford you cant miss us we will be the only Gordons there.SDGORD