Going to Kansas again what time of year

luke0927

Going to Kansas again what time of year

Post by luke0927 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:16 am

Wanted to get some opinions I went last year left GA on Thanksgiving and stayed for a week, had a good time but the wet fall and winter had a good amount of crops still on, had some friends go a week or two later and there was some snow and they had better luck. I'm kind of leary of going later just in case a big storm rolls in or just to much snow etc...when I put in my vacation time i have to stick with it. If you were traveling from out of state to the area would you go more early/middle november or chance it and go in early december or what?

Thanks I'll probably be looking at going back to north central KS.

fordman

Re: Going to Kansas again what time of year

Post by fordman » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:17 am

December should be better, cooler less crops.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Around Thanks giving and right after are really good times to go, I would not expect crops to be in so late again this year. But you never know, I would wait as long as I could to make plans and watch the weather.

elvisclark54

Post by elvisclark54 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Sir,

I agree with the others. The later the better. Crops continue to come off later and later. Farmers are much more accommodating when the feed is in the bin. I don't know if you are planning to hunt private or public walk-in ground, but there should be plenty available. The areas around Larned, etc. continue to be popular. In the old days Northwest Kansas around Stockton, etc. was very good, but has fallen off over the years. I hope you have good luck as the people of Kansas are the best and they do appreciate the outside hunter. It is good for the economy. Not that many things are.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:50 pm

If you can get some snow, you will do very well. Later is best.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

tailcracken

Post by tailcracken » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:17 am

luke0927 wrote:Wanted to get some opinions I went last year left GA on Thanksgiving and stayed for a week, had a good time but the wet fall and winter had a good amount of crops still on, had some friends go a week or two later and there was some snow and they had better luck. I'm kind of leary of going later just in case a big storm rolls in or just to much snow etc...when I put in my vacation time i have to stick with it. If you were traveling from out of state to the area would you go more early/middle november or chance it and go in early december or what?

Thanks I'll probably be looking at going back to north central KS.
go the last week of season heres the deal its COLD birds are grouped togeather more prdictable hunt crops and they will be there! heres a trick you come the last week of season and knock on a few doors your more likely to grt permission some reason they just let you go when season is almost over make sure you kind of remind them of it lol. i have hunted around thksgiving it can really suck HOT birds scattered nothing to think about here latre as you can do my man take it from a guy who knows and goes all the time ENJOY!

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:38 am

are the roads still easily traveled with a little snow? I was just worried about being trapped or getting a blizzard in and then ruining the whole trip.

tailcracken

Post by tailcracken » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am

luke0927 wrote:are the roads still easily traveled with a little snow? I was just worried about being trapped or getting a blizzard in and then ruining the whole trip.
just go it takes a ton of snow to not get around! When there is drifts in the road people just cut into the fieldsand go around the drifts you got a whole week what are you sweating just get out and do it

Vin

Post by Vin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 pm

remember 1st wed. of december is gun opener for deer. 10 days

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:12 am

i have been the last 4 years the week after thanksgiving and the weather has been fine. we have seen some snow but nothing that will keep you held up inside.

i usually run my dogs real hard the first half of the week and then do some scouting on wed... the opening day of rifle. there are a lot of people out doing drives that day and lets just say its not the safest place to be. being there the first half of the week helps too, you see people scouting and kind of get an idea about where they will be hunting. i try to talk with them if possible to find out if they will be hunting that area, be respectful of them and it will likely be returned. i have been directed to some pretty good bird hunts that way, people who scout a lot cover ground and most of the time know areas that hold birds. i have never had problems with deer hunters.... and there are a lot of them, just be smart and respectful and i doubt you will either.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:03 am

Make sure you wear lots of orange (hat and vest) and you'll not have a problem with the deer hunters. The best time? There's not a bad time IMO! :D