Kansas hunting questions

bpainter

Kansas hunting questions

Post by bpainter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I know there are a lot of posts about hunting Kansas and I think I have read them all several times. But I still have a few questions.

I am in the process of planning a hunting trip to Kansas this year and have a few questions for the people that have been there before. From what I have been reading I am thinking about using Hays, Kansas as a base unless I get better suggestions to base out of.

I would like to hunt both pheasants and bobwhites. Would it be better to hunt for quail in one area a few days and then move to different area to hunt pheasants a few days? Or is there a good place to hunt both at the same time?

Do the hotels allow dogs?

What kind of weather can I expect in late November early December?

What gear is a must for dogs and hunters that might be forgotten by someone that has never been hunting in Kansas before?

If I stay in Hays how far are the typical drives to the walk in areas?

jayhawkj

Re: Kansas hunting questions

Post by jayhawkj » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:13 pm

bpainter wrote:I know there are a lot of posts about hunting Kansas and I think I have read them all several times. But I still have a few questions.

I am in the process of planning a hunting trip to Kansas this year and have a few questions for the people that have been there before. From what I have been reading I am thinking about using Hays, Kansas as a base unless I get better suggestions to base out of.

I would like to hunt both pheasants and bobwhites. Would it be better to hunt for quail in one area a few days and then move to different area to hunt pheasants a few days? Or is there a good place to hunt both at the same time?

Do the hotels allow dogs?

What kind of weather can I expect in late November early December?

What gear is a must for dogs and hunters that might be forgotten by someone that has never been hunting in Kansas before?

If I stay in Hays how far are the typical drives to the walk in areas?
1. I find both Pheasants and Quail in that area.
2. some hotels do allow pets in a crate for a fee.
3. Prepare for anything from 70 degrees to snow and 20 degrees, you just never know what the weather will be like even from day to day in Kansas.
4. For the dogs, a way to keep them warm if kenneled in the truck and water even in cold conditions many people forget the importance of that in the winter. You may run in to burrs (usually futher North) and they are rough on dogs feet.
5. You'll find walk in land within 10-15 minutes of your hotel in Hays.

setterbud

Post by setterbud » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:30 am

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:10 am

the weather is unpredictable during that time. i have been to KS during that time for the past three years and the only thing that is a given is the wind..... it will be there, you can count on that.

most lodging in that area will allow dogs, that part of KS makes a lot of $ on out of town hunters, where i have been hunters and dogs are usually welcomed visitors.

remember it is opening rifle at the beginning of dec....... don't forget your orange. i have never had any problems with deer hunters, but i make sure they can see me from a distance.

Chocolate Head

Post by Chocolate Head » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 am

In my experience you are going to a good area. There is plenty of WIHA nearby, but be willing to drive and cover ground. As stated in other posts, most hotels are accomidate dogs. I have never set out to target bobs, although it was a goal to get them. I've easliy moved a covey a day without trying. I find they are much different than a scarce, southern quail. They seem to remain more in coveys, so singles are much less of an issue. Each year I go, I get closer to harvesting a Prairie Chicken. Don't be afraid to ask locals to hunt their land, but if you don't get the opportunity, you will find plenty of action on WHIA. Warmer days suck. If you get snow it's better hunting, but when it melts it's a slippery mess on the mud roads.