Iowa Phez Numbers Vs SD

Iowa

Iowa Phez Numbers Vs SD

Post by Iowa » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Just got done reading my August Roadside Survey then checked out SD's....Every year it seems to be getting worse. Both states are losing crp at the same rate. I know Iowa got dumped on with snow last year but didnt SD get the same or at least close? How are they increasing their population every year?

Then Iowa has the nerve to increase the price for out of state upland hunting a few years ago. I'm getting to the point that I might just drive right by Iowa and head to SD...

windswept

Re: Iowa Phez Numbers Vs SD

Post by windswept » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Actually SD is down in many of the key areas. The out of state licensing is pretty steep as well. I think it is something like $129 for 10 days. SD has for many years been number one but I think Iowa is generally a close 2nd. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Either state is going to have plenty of birds this fall.

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:33 pm

There is an article in the most recent Pointing Dog Journal about this topic. The writer thinks that SD's different start time (10 am) and stop time for hunting each day plays a role in the pheasant numbers. It is an interesting read if you get the magazine.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 pm

Iowa is not #2 anymore! I live in Iowa EC and birds are hard to find. In fact, I saw a contest to hit the top 5 pheasant states and Iowa wasn't even listed. Sad really.... we are 49th in state land only ahead of Rhode Island. Most of my hunting is preserve hunts.
Doyle

Mahamari

Post by Mahamari » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45 am

Road side count showed an expect harvest 150,000-200,000 birds. Compare that to (correct me if I'm wrong) SD was about 1.7 million last year. If you look at the small game map for pheasant I's say 95% of the state is rated as poor and there is NO excellent rankings in the state. Even read Iowa game & Fish mag and they suggested preserves this year! Iowa isn't what it was 15-20 years ago. heck it isn't even what it was 5 years ago. last winter was a monster though (2nd worst in like 160 years). Loss of habitat and mother nature cutting no breaks for the last several years has the IA pheasant on the endangered species list. I'm actually in one of the stronger sections of the state and we suffered a 60% drop from numbers last year!! Overall not much good to report from Iowa!

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 am

I grew up in SD and have always wondered how the heck the population can go up every year. In the papers you will always read "Record Number of Pheasants This Year!". I think they put that in there so they can keep there record number of out of state hunters, it is a huge income boost for the state. The 10am start does make a difference on the population IMO.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 am

Without breaking it down section by section for each state the rough numbers. Iowa down 30% and SD up 3% statewide. Look at the 10 year trends, SD is going up hill and we are going down (Although. Even without the harsh winters Iowa is still declining.

On the starting times, I didnt catch that article but I will check it out. Dont they always say hunting pressure has nothing to do with pheasant numbers since we only shoot roosters? I'd be all for starting later in the day if that helped the numbers.

As far as the price for out of state, I dont mind paying the money IF they have the birds. But how the heck are they going to raise the price at this point in time. Thats like me having a terrible product and asking my customers to pay more for it. Iowa politics have been on a downhill slide as well but I will not get into that here. As long as I'm ranting here, I own the farms I hunt in Iowa but live out of state, shouldnt I be able to hunt as at the instate rate?

We are one of the few that put more back into CRP this year than we took out. With the new rates it just made sense rather than keeping it cash rent. We have resorted to a surragator next year. I hope it works.

I remember back in the 90's in west central iowa I would see more out of state guys than instate. In the last 8 years I've been hard pressed to see ANYONE hunting pheasants opening weekend or once the crops are out (My opening weekend).

If I was all about limiting out I would drive right by Iowa. I just like to get out on the farm, see my father, talk about old times, and maybe see some birds. I just hate it for my dogs...

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:55 am

Whether SD numbers are down slightly or not, it will still be far superior to Iowa as far as that goes. The other thing is that SD has far more public land to hunt on. You'll find more hunters as well, especially in the first half of the season. Your best bet may be to find an area in SD with a decent amount of public land, but not in the HOT zones, as that will be crowded. Plan a trip around or just after Thanksgiving and the crowds should be much less.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:13 am

Chaingang wrote:Whether SD numbers are down slightly or not, it will still be far superior to Iowa as far as that goes. The other thing is that SD has far more public land to hunt on. You'll find more hunters as well, especially in the first half of the season. Your best bet may be to find an area in SD with a decent amount of public land, but not in the HOT zones, as that will be crowded. Plan a trip around or just after Thanksgiving and the crowds should be much less.
I got off subject there...the question is why are they doing so well and other states are not?

live4point

Post by live4point » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 pm

On my way from Mo. to the Knoxville Nationals in Iowa,I happened to see a big ole rooster get up and sail across the top of a corn field.Really made me start thinking about bird season.

bwire

Post by bwire » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:08 pm

I think the main point of the article was that because of the finish time birds are not pushed of roosting areas before night and by the time hunters hit the fields in the morning the birds leave roosting areas and are spread out more. It was a different thought on why the numbers are up in SD.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Iowa wrote: I got off subject there...the question is why are they doing so well and other states are not?
Simple.... the Dakota's have more grassland/CRP acreage than any other state I believe. More habitat, more birds.

What many people don't realize about SD is that there are alot of outfitter's/landowners in SD that supplement the wild population with released birds. If they have a Preserve license it's mandatory that they do so. This is to allow their clients to shoot more birds than the state limits and extend their seasons till spring essentially.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 am

Chaingang wrote:
Iowa wrote: I got off subject there...the question is why are they doing so well and other states are not?
Simple.... the Dakota's have more grassland/CRP acreage than any other state I believe. More habitat, more birds.

What many people don't realize about SD is that there are alot of outfitter's/landowners in SD that supplement the wild population with released birds. If they have a Preserve license it's mandatory that they do so. This is to allow their clients to shoot more birds than the state limits and extend their seasons till spring essentially.
I understand the more habitat= more birds but they are losing crp at a good rate but somehow they are producing more birds every year. I always thought pen raised birds will not increase the breeding population just gain more shooting opportunities.

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:18 am

You also have to take a look at farming practices from one state to the next. It has been my observation that most farmers in Iowa will try to farm everything they can from hill tops to bottoms, and fence row to fence row if they have a low spot they generally try to drain it with drain tile. This has been happening more and more since the price of corn has gone up and remained a fair price. If you look at places in SD generally if they have a hill top that doesn't produce they put it into grass or if they have a low spot they will do the same. You also have to look at the variety of crops grown in Iowa compared to SD. How many fields of Wheat, Oats, Milo, Sunflowers,ect. do you see grown in Iowa? I believe this variety of crops helps boost the population too. I'm not saying one state has better farmers than another, but things are just different from one state to the next as a whole.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm

double post deleted.
Last edited by Chaingang on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Iowa wrote: I understand the more habitat= more birds but they are losing crp at a good rate but somehow they are producing more birds every year. I always thought pen raised birds will not increase the breeding population just gain more shooting opportunities.
We'll that is true that the Dakota's are now losing some of their CRP, but when you take into account the total number of acres originally enrolled as compared to Iowa, it pales in comparison. So even though they have lost some, they still have an enormous amount.That and now that the green light has been given for new sign ups, they may be able to re-coop some of the lost acreage.

Pheasant hunting in SD is BIG BUSINESS and a major source of income for the state. Farmers know this and will manage their property for Pheasants to capitalize on it, even if it means resorting to releasing pen birds to mix in with the wild population.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:09 pm

I know that Iowa pheasant numbers are down but does anybody have any information on the Marshalltown area?

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:18 am

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Chaingang wrote:
Iowa wrote: I understand the more habitat= more birds but they are losing crp at a good rate but somehow they are producing more birds every year. I always thought pen raised birds will not increase the breeding population just gain more shooting opportunities.
We'll that is true that the Dakota's are now losing some of their CRP, but when you take into account the total number of acres originally enrolled as compared to Iowa, it pales in comparison. So even though they have lost some, they still have an enormous amount.That and now that the green light has been given for new sign ups, they may be able to re-coop some of the lost acreage.

Pheasant hunting in SD is BIG BUSINESS and a major source of income for the state. Farmers know this and will manage their property for Pheasants to capitalize on it, even if it means resorting to releasing pen birds to mix in with the wild population.
So is it that the farms not in crp are better managed than Iowa? I know a few SD farmers who are not worried about pheasants. I just have a hard time understanding how they keep loosing land and still increase their numbers. I have farm land and understand how to take care of the land which in turn helps my bird population but i have a hard time believe the folks in SD are so different than most in iowa. My small farm town in iowa used to make big money on pheasants but most are short sighted and only see the short term gains. In the whole scheme of things pheasant leases etc arnt great profit makers.

I know the new crp numbers will be nice but its still a net loss.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Many of those CRP contracts have yet to come due. As they do, the available habitat will shrink and so to will the Pheasant population. It remains to be seen what new enrollments if any or current contracts will be allowed to be re-enrolled. While not all farmers manage their land for wildlife, many of them do in Pheasant country and charge a fee to hunt. They do not have to be a licensed game preserve or outfitter to do so. Many will just charge a daily trespass fee.

AS I stated before, currently there is still an abundant amount of CRP in the Dakotas and the bird numbers are holding their own barring any severe winter kill's or unsuccessful hatches. But as these contracts come due and new contracts are not put back in you will see the Pheasant population start to dwindle in the Dakota's just as it is happening in Iowa.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 pm

It would be interesting if they also included a "roadside trend" to count the number of natural predators. I for one have noticed a huge increase over the years of red tailed hawks with the exception of this year.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:20 am

ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIVE CRP ACRES EXPIRE ACRES EXPIRE ACRES EXPIRE ACRES EXPIRE ACRES EXPIRE
STATE NAME ACRES 09/30/2010 09/30/2011 09/30/2012 09/30/2013 09/30/2014
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IOWA 1,613,482.5 170,747.5 72,148.1 231,995.9 185,763.4 93,117.2

SOUTH DAKOTA 1,066,409.5 151,534.1 125,429.2 227,329.9 107,311.3 71,877.4

NATIONAL TOTAL 31,078,744.2 4,734,822.9 4,417,029.9 6,551,528.0 3,332,802.9 2,003,966.5

CRP totals for each state. This does not include new sign ups. But as I stated before the new signs this year were a net loss for each state.

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:23 am

twofeathers wrote:It would be interesting if they also included a "roadside trend" to count the number of natural predators. I for one have noticed a huge increase over the years of red tailed hawks with the exception of this year.
Now I like this idea. When I drive to the farm I see a hawk of some type at least every mile if not more. I never saw this years ago. And with less and less people trapping...

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:17 am

they keep loosing land and still increase their numbers
Pheas is a cash crop there and the farmers farm with this in mind. Grass strips along waterways and around the crops help, certain plants in the CRP are also needed to support the wildlife. Older CRP fields may have had these good plants get wiped out by other grasses. So additional seeding is needed for this. I know some farms very close to me that have huge phes populations, farmer puts out grain during the heavy snows and has areas that the wildlife use for protection during these bad times. Join up with phes forever, ask them about what you can do to help the wildlife population go up on your farms.

Trapping will also help with the varmints that rob nests. Still get a few bucks for the pelts.

Here is some good reading on this:

Winter food is mostly in abundant supply and is generally not considered a limiting factor in the traditional pheasant range. Indeed, starvation of wild pheasants is practically unheard of. Why, then, do most biologists consider food plots an essential part of good pheasant management? The answer is simple—winter cover is much more effective with a high-energy food source nearby. Food plots are critical for pheasant management because of the relationship between food, winter cover, movement and mortality. This brochure will help you better understand this relationship and provide guidance on what, where, and how to establish proper food/cover plots.

Winter Pheasant Biology & Food
The protective nature of cover on the landscape changes remarkably during winter. Grain stubble and weed patches that concealed feeding birds during fall are soon buried in winter's blowing snow. Unlike fall when birds are widely scattered, pheasants concentrate in limited heavy roosting cover during winter, venturing only as far as needed. They hesitate to feed beyond a half mile from cover, even if abundant food exists beyond that range. Thus, food near these islands of habitat is quickly reduced. Pheasants feeding on waste grain buried in the snow are forced to forage further from cover each day, exposed to predation and harsh winter weather in the open.

It's even trickier for hen pheasants, however. It's not merely staying alive--they must actively gain weight through mid-winter in order to replenish that lost during the previous nesting season. Hens that undergo a great deal of stress during the winter months suffer their highest mortality rate the following spring during nesting, and there is a strong correlation between spring body weight and successful chick production. Well-placed food patches establish safe foraging patterns, restrict unnecessary movements, and provide dependable food to carry female birds through harsh winters in good condition. Even in a mild winter, the closer secure winter cover and food are positioned, the more pheasants will benefit.

http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page/1/foodandcover.jsp

Lots of good information here.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Iowa

Post by Iowa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:28 pm

My land is setup for farms and for bird hunting. We worry about both. Thats not the question I'm asking. I know pheasants are big business but I ALSO grew up on the farm and understand that side. I just dont believe farming practice has a lot to do with it. Our grass waterways and buffer strips are in CRP you would be stupid not to.

I finally read my Pointing Dog article. Now they bring up an interesting point. The early hunting times (since late hunting time dont effect me in Iowa closing at 4:30) get the birds out of roost which exposes them to a poor roosting area and being exposed to predation...I know a lot has to do with habitat but I think more has to do with predation than the DNR would like us to believe. What keeps the hawks numbers in check???? Who keeps the coyotes in check???

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 pm

One crop you see planted in the SD Pheasant belt more so than many other Midwestern states is Cane Sorghum. Cane Sorghum not only provides food, but also one of the best crops for winter cover you're likely to find for pheasants. The birds can eat and and get out of the harsh weather.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Iowa wrote:Who keeps the coyotes in check???
Coyotes are generally thought to be more beneficial to birds than harmful.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:08 pm

ACooper wrote:
Iowa wrote:Who keeps the coyotes in check???
Coyotes are generally thought to be more beneficial to birds than harmful.
Agreed. Nest robbing varmints such as skunks and raccoons do far more damage than coyotes or hawks.

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 am

I would also go as far as the insectisides used to controll bugs. Young birds need the protien from bugs to develope. There are several factors not just one that are effecting the loss of the pheasant in Iowa. Crp contracts early out, alowing haying on crp contracts. Mono culture brohmgrass in CRP .
Coyotes don't bother the nest like a skunk, racoon and opposum.
Red tail hawks have not yet come to there winter migration yet this time of year. Hawks do migrate just like bald eagles migrate.
The crp we have mostly enrolled in Iowa is 60 feet next to the creek. And then we have these hugh rain events in the spring and the creek floods. The nest is distroyed and the hen if still alive, will not nest back in the area she was forced out of with the flood.
We have in my area some quail habitat "CP-22 I believe" that is good untill the farmer decides to not have end rows and uses the habitat as turn area for the combine and as a lane for hauling grain out of the field which smashes any cover in the fall . This smashed cover doesn't grow back for winter cover. Also when birds are nesting in the spring this ground can not be used as turn around for planting that is occuring the same time as the seeds are planted for the crop growing season.
It sounds as thow I am placing blame on the farmers and I don't mean it that way . They the farmer ,have to make a living and make some calls to keep food on his own table. No margin for error any more in the farm business. The little wet spot in the corner of the back forty has been tiled and trees removed to produce a crop that needs to yield 200 buschel to the acre to maintaine. The interior fences have been removed as no livestock on the ground. All livestock are in confinements. Small farms are bought up by investors and ground is being cleared for the most return they can get, trees removed from creek beds, fences taken out and less farm steads to provide even shelter belts. they now just have to steel bins out in the prairie.
Just some of the things going on

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:22 pm

I just dont believe farming practice has a lot to do with it. Our grass waterways and buffer strips are in CRP you would be stupid not to.
It does matter, what is planted makes the difference. Also most farmers are cutting corn stalks and baling them up, fields clean to the dirt, no protection there no food there. I can show you first hand here in several places I hunt. Food plots in the CRP of milo and cane make the diff there, sorhgum too. Not so much pesticides used around here, hawks usually go after rabbits and ground animals, coons and skunks are key, trap the heck out of them. Burn in the early spring before they start laying and late fall after they know enough to get out. Have you been to any farm in S.D. and saw firsthand how they do things? Most put out grain in winter to help em get thru the hard part, leave debris in fields for cover, overplant waterways with tall reeds and canes, they also charge a hundred bucks a gun a day to hunt. They farm for pheasants, it is a cash crop. Read the links I posted, it isnt DNR at all.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935