duck hunt with GSP

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

duck hunt with GSP

Post by ultracarry » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 am

took my GSP out duck hunting for the second time. she is starting to get the point o staying still in the blind and likes to wait at the door. started the day off with a shovler behind the blind that fell 90-100 yds in a over grown field. i sent her out there and in 4 min she met me outside the blind with a bird. second duck was a redhead who fell about 70 yds off into the water. ill just say she needs help with blind retrieves in the water the duck was also diving and she would run over the top of it so i had to finish it off and she took it back for me. after the season ill be getting her FF done. until then its all about hunting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: duck hunt with GSP

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:14 am

Congrats on a good hunt and great work with your pooch. Fun aint it?

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 am

its too much fun. i think she is done duck hunting until her hunt tests are over. she was marking every thing that was flying hoping i would shoot it when i put her on quail yesterday...

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:14 am

I am heading out this afternoon with either Buster or Mercy. Supposed to get some showers and clouds.ImageImage

Rick

Mollyontherun

Please share some insights

Post by Mollyontherun » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 pm

This will be our 1st year Duck hunting- for us and the GSP. We will be taking out our 2 year old GSP (she is not forced fetched). Please share any insights that you think will help us. We have a Neoprene Vest she will wear and will bring a polypad for her to sit on- LOL... can we keep her in the blind?

Our biggest concern:

WHINNING!!!! She will want to go out and run. How do we keep her still and silent w/o using the e-collar?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:51 am

Whinning, GSP kind of go hand in hand. But, Try to take her to a hot spot. WHere you know ducks will be flying and coming into decoys or jump shooting. You will find if ducks are flying and you are shooting there will be no whinning, probably :wink: . Also don't make the hunts to long, in other words when the hunting is slow leave. I also bring dog bones jsut to help occupy the dog for short periods. I also let them roam on occasion when it is slow.

Another thing I bring a kennel pad to put in the blind or bottom of the canoe so it is comfortable.

Otherwise, no rewards for whinning. Give the pup bones, patting etc. only when she is quiet. This is what I do but GSP is a GSP. The more they understand the situation, the better is should get. Just some of what I did and do.

It would be good if a lab trainer like Evan Gram or GH would chime in here.

Rick

Rick

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:25 am

My dog isn't force fetched but if she sees the duck fall she will go for it. The less decoy you have out the better so it doesn't check them all before going to the real duck. She will wine a lot but I ignore her and when she is quiet ill pet her and give attention. If you can I would make a platform where they can sit or stand or a kennel to keep them in one place until you need them.
Mine will be FF at the end of the season.
Last edited by ultracarry on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anb

Post by anb » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:31 am

Not sure how good of advice this is, but it is what I do with my GSP. She loves loves loves water retrievals. When she doesn't see where the duck fell (sun in the eyes or whatever). I just toss out a small rock to the general area of the down bird. The splash gives her a direction to go in, when she gets close she can usually see it. She does respond to hand/voice directional signals, but this method hasn't failed me yet.
Andrea