Successful Opener

pllahntr

Successful Opener

Post by pllahntr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:22 am

Bird numbers were supposed to be down this year in Iowa to the extent of over 40%. However, the opener this past Saturday was a success. We hunted with 8 guys and 5 dogs and finished around 2:00 with 10 birds. Everyone got some shooting in and the dogs got good work. I was happy with my 1 yr old GSP as he found a few downed birds and even pointed a couple hens. Needless to say it was a successful Saturday!!

Hopefully get pics soon.

How did the rest of you do?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Successful Opener

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Sounds like fun... we don't have birds in so cal....

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:16 am

Went out bow hunting Friday and got two does so Friday and Saturday were spent processing deer as it was too warm still to hang for long. Sunday was trick or treating with the kids then back to work. Plan on going out in the morning though hope to get into some as I've been hearing them cackling from my tree stand. Where about you hunting? Here in eastern Iowa it was pretty windy Saturday.

pllahntr

Post by pllahntr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 am

We hunt primarily around the Grinnell area. We didn't see many birds, which was kind of dis-heartening, but we shot just about all the roosters we saw. Kind of wishing we would have seen more hens. However, we did see a brood of young chicks...not much bigger than quail. Good to see a young hatch that made it so far!

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Wonder if that's a second or third brood seems fairly late in the year but I could be wrong. Got out this morning and saw a rooster two hens and some partridge. I know they say the bird numbers are down from last year here but I have been seeing partridge and quail that I have not seen here in years.

Good Luck.