Missouri Quail Hunting

Mr. Crappie

Missouri Quail Hunting

Post by Mr. Crappie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:34 pm

To refresh an earlier post regarding Missouri Quail season, I have hunted four times since the season opened and have located nine coveys. So far I have never had an outing without bird contact. With the warm weather conditions I have noticed overall poor scenting conditions and the birds are anywhere!! Today we found two coveys. One was in some grass that wasn't more than two inches high. The second covey was in the middle of some warm season grass, instead of being in the grass draws and ditches near crops. My analysis is "warm weather does strange things to quail". I'm keeping my fingers crossed for moisture and lower temperature !!

straightup1

Re: Missouri Quail Hunting

Post by straightup1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:32 pm

How was the dog work with today's weather conditions?

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:53 am

How many birds to the covey, I've been finding birds but only about 12 to the covey; not enough to kill but a couple if thier going to surive the winter. :)

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:37 pm

You could tell a noticeable difference in scenting conditions since the rain. The dogs seemed to point the birds at much longer distances yesterday compared to being right on top of them before the rain. As far as covey size, the coveys we found yesterday contained at least a dozen birds each. The coveys I found prior to this with the exception of one was very small with fewer than 10 birds in them. I know I will leave them alone, but my big concern is that others might go in there and take a few, then there us a good chance the entire covey will be eliminated if/when we receive cold temperatures.

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:38 pm

By the way straightup1, were saving a few birds for you !!

straightup1

Post by straightup1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 pm

You best save a few for me to take a poke at. That Snowatch girl is going to make one nice little dog.