chukars

Dirtysteve

chukars

Post by Dirtysteve » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Took of few pics of my dogs while out chukar hunting the other day.
My Tuck dog was on fire! found 4 coveys and several singles. It was his day to shine :mrgreen:

A covey find for Tuck

Tuck pointing, Crash backing. This covery held around 40 birds in it. Only killed 1 out of all of them :oops:

One more of Tuck standing a small covey

Shot quite a few birds and missed alot more but dang it was fun.
Last edited by Dirtysteve on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gittrdonebritts

Re: chukars

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Good picks and good looking dogs, thanks for sharing :D
I've always wanted to hunt wild chuckar, the pen raised ones are fun, but I'd sure love to try the wild ones someday !

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Great pics and love the country!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:40 am

Attaboy Tuck.......man I gotta make it out there one day, beautiful country........plus your chukar season is what, like 6 months long..... :D

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:49 am

Beautiful pics, great lookin' dogs! Looks like a blast! I don't know anything about Chukar really, what's their natural range? Western US (Utah, Idaho, etc..)
Last edited by rkappes on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:56 am

rkappes wrote:I don't know anything about Chukar really, what's their natural range? Western US (Utah, Idaho, etc..)
The chukars natural range is the middle east(Turkey) into south Asia(India). If you count the red-legged as a subspecies, they are found in the northern Med. They were brought here in the late 1800's and early 1900's and I think the first introduction was in Nevada. Now the best hunting is in California, Nevada, Idaho, Washington and Utah. Some hunting one natural populations in Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. Dry and steep is the type of habitat they like.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 am

There aren't any Chukars in Idaho. Nevada is the best place to go!
Tom

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 am

Gordon Guy wrote:There aren't any Chukars in Idaho. Nevada is the best place to go!
No Chukars in Utah either but Gordon guy is lying!!!
Idaho is loaded with chukars :wink:

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:51 am

rkappes wrote:Beatiful pics, great lookin' dogs! Looks like a blast! I don't know anything about Chukar really, what's their natural range? Western US (Utah, Idaho, etc..)
This is what to look for when hunting chukars in Utah....er I mean Idaho :wink:
Steep mountains with cheat grass and cliffs/rimrock. The steeper the better. They don't need water as much when the temp cools down. In fact one place I hunt I have never found any water at all, so where they get it I have no clue.
Strap on your boots and cover some country, eventually you'll find them little SOB's
Here a few more pics of the country we hunt and the dogs standing birds
Crash

My buddy Mark and his son going in for a flush. His little liver dogs is standing to the left.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:There aren't any Chukars in Idaho. Nevada is the best place to go!

There you go again Nevada has no chukars... Idaho and California have the highest populations :roll:

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Actually I am pretty sure that there are no more wild chukar in the Northwest..Go to California, that's where the action is :D

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Pretty nice, but do you have any flat land chukars for us Utah folks who relocated to Kansas? I don't know if I could run up those hills anymore!

Rut

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 am

California sucks for Chucker Hunting the last fours years have been terrible because of the drought. Weiser Idaho lots of Chucker.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 am

RuttCrazed wrote:Pretty nice, but do you have any flat land chukars for us Utah folks who relocated to Kansas? I don't know if I could run up those hills anymore!

Rut
Idaho and Ore chukar country. Brownlee Resivour on the Snake River. Pretty unforgiving country! I can't get up the hills with my knee's anymore but the birds are up there. There is no driving into that back country.

Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:20 pm

RuttCrazed wrote:Pretty nice, but do you have any flat land chukars for us Utah folks who relocated to Kansas? I don't know if I could run up those hills anymore!
Some chukar hunting wisdom

You hunt chukars the first time for fun and from then on for revenge.

The ideal chukar hunting gear includes:
-An semi-auto shotgun with a banana clip.(Although a grenade launcher might be handier)
-A gsp X mountain goat cross
and a chairlift.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:23 am

Don wrote:

Rut
Idaho and Ore chukar country. Brownlee Resivour on the Snake River. Pretty unforgiving country! I can't get up the hills with my knee's anymore but the birds are up there. There is no driving into that back country.

WOW!! What a photo!!!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:24 am

Do you guys have any public hunting land out there?

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:32 am

rkappes wrote:Do you guys have any public hunting land out there?

Most chukar hunting is on land administered by the BLM and Forest Service.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:47 am

Blm land because no one in their right mind would go there willingly. I would only do it for my dog. Also I have never seen a chukar in ca.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 pm

ultracarry wrote:Blm land because no one in their right mind would go there willingly. I would only do it for my dog. Also I have never seen a chukar in ca.

Funny, because I am almost positive that Nevada transplanted all the the birds that they had there. :lol:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:38 am

There are lots of chukars in California, they are just in a tight geographic area. Mostly the eastern Sierra slope deemed "high desert" and the greater concentrations are to the north. SORRY I had to edit this...I meant that this area of California is best because this is where the Nevada pointer guys send all of their wild flushes. Chukar hunting is not for everyone...but it is addicting to those who appreciate the wide open spaces and limited human contact.
Last edited by Chukar12 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:06 pm

ImageImageImage

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:02 pm

You know, I've been looking for the escalators in them thar hills but they must hide them pretty good! Those rotten chukars are addictive- I used to be a hard core waterfowler and then I shot my first chukar and got a pointer and have burned a whole lot of gas since but it is heart stopping to watch my girls lock up and to walk in for the flush.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Chukar12 wrote:There are lots of chukars in California, they are just in a tight geographic area. Mostly the eastern Sierra slope deemed "high desert" and the greater concentrations are to the north. SORRY I had to edit this...I meant that this area of California is best because this is where the Nevada pointer guys send all of their wild flushes. Chukar hunting is not for everyone...but it is addicting to those who appreciate the wide open spaces and limited human contact.
So when are we going?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:14 am

Ultracarry...you were too late Friday, I had already left. The weather was brutal up high...I was relegated to shooting valley quail.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:51 pm

That's cool. I shot some quail Saturday after we went duck hunting. Let me know if you are going to go around the victorville area out to red mtn.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:09 am

ultracarry wrote:
Chukar12 wrote:There are lots of chukars in California, they are just in a tight geographic area. Mostly the eastern Sierra slope deemed "high desert" and the greater concentrations are to the north. SORRY I had to edit this...I meant that this area of California is best because this is where the Nevada pointer guys send all of their wild flushes. Chukar hunting is not for everyone...but it is addicting to those who appreciate the wide open spaces and limited human contact.
So when are we going?
Don't waste your time I already shot the last Chukar in California :mrgreen:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks! And to think I was going to have to hike up one of those hills on Sunday looking for the last one in California.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:49 am

Awesome photos!!!!

bhulisa

Post by bhulisa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:20 am

Awesome pics and dogs!

But fishvik made my day with his reply:
"Some chukar hunting wisdom

-An semi-auto shotgun with a banana clip.(Although a grenade launcher might be handier)
and a chairlift. "
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Priceless :lol:
Trudi

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:26 am

Gentlemen,
Great pictures, no doubt about it!
RGD/Dave

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:26 pm

bhulisa wrote:But fishvik made my day with his reply:
"Some chukar hunting wisdom

and a chairlift. "

Priceless
bhulisa, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was told that when I started school at the Univ. of Idaho back in the early 1970's by a seasoned chukar hunter. I returned to the Clearwater River breaks south of U of I this fall and I was amazed at the geological upheaval that has occured in the areas I used to hunt. When I was in my late teens and early 20's none of that country seemed that steep. :D

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:58 pm

I can't wait for the day i finally get to chase some wild chuckars with my dogs.

RdHawg

Post by RdHawg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 pm

ultracarry wrote:
So when are we going?
ME TOO!! ME TOO!!!

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Just read through this post...those are some awesome pictures. I really want to end up in the west some day, and those pictures just made me want it all the more. Does anyone ever use flushers for Chukar, or will they just keep running and never flush if they're not pinned down by a pointer?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 pm

I have a friend that does well with a lab...however, it is the ultimate team effort. He is in great condition, a guide that knows the land well and a dog that whoas and handles like a dream. Frankly, one of the biggets issues especially when it is warm is the radiator on the lab...

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:14 pm

That's encouraging...I'd at least have a fightin' chance then! Not saying I'm in excellent shape or that my dogs handle like a dream, but I think I'm alright on both accounts, so maybe I'd at least do alright on Chukars. The logic follows, right? :)

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:18 pm

your attitude is right...you are guaranteed a good time

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Does anyone ever use flushers for Chukar
I have seen guys hunt chukars with labs. They kill a few birds and every once in while do very good. You can be successful with any hunting dog but chukar country is best suited for bigger running pointing breeds. They can cover alot of country that will wear you out if you had to walk it just to see if there were chukars there.
I like the biggest running dogs I can get. The more ground they cover the less I have to walk.
The last covey I shot all I had to do was follow this and it led me and the dogs right to them :wink:

jason1040

Post by jason1040 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 am

All of this talk of chukars is getting me excited. Hopefully you all leave some breeding stock for me next year. :wink:

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:04 am

Dirtysteve wrote:
No Chukars in Utah either but Gordon guy is lying!!!
Idaho is loaded with chukars :wink:
I love the Dirty Steve call sign...one of my favorite screen names / characters of all time.