Phez in Kansas....?

jimbo&rooster

Phez in Kansas....?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Alright guys, its getting to be about time for me to head to Kansas with my dogs. Im down to setting a date either Dec. 19-21st or 29-31st. How have the birds been so far? im headed to the Larned, or Hays area. Ill be hunting all walk -in, and maybe knocking on a few doors. Im just curiouse what people have been seeing.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Birddogz

Re: Phez in Kansas....?

Post by Birddogz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Most birds in 20 years. Get excited! :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:08 am

Most birds in 20 years. Get excited!
Have you actually hunted here this year? Don't get too excited about what you read on the KDWP site. THey are more of a tourism department that an actual wildlife department. There are birds, but the pressure has been unbelieveable, especially the areas you mention J&R. Kansas is becoming SD south... You will see birds, but you will work hard. Don't be afraid to head to the "marginal areas" or areas with little WIHA as they have received less pressure.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but definately not a fish in the barrel type hunt. Good luck, be safe, and enjoy your hunt.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:55 am

I didnt expect to kick a bird up under every clump of grass, but theres gota be more birds in Kansas than there are in southern Indiana. I have been planning this trip by the seat of my pants. It will just be me and my 2 dogs so I can move around a little bit if I have to. I guess i had planned on heading to the area I intend to go because thats where every one says to go (probly explains all the pressure). All i really need is a place to lay down between hunts so im pretty well open to suggestions...... where might be another area to give a try?
Jim

ky birdhunter

Post by ky birdhunter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:40 am

A friend of mine just got back two days ago. They were out a total five days. They told me they didn't see many roosters at all.
They were into quail everyday. I think they bagged a total of five roosters.
I am leaving on the 17th, just me and my Son and two dogs. Probably hunt the North Central areas.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Yeah my plan was to leave here on the 18th since school lets out for christmas on the 17th, but im gona leave the 28th instead and come home on the 1st. My wife wont let me take a chance of getting snowed in out there and her be here alone when my mother comes to town. :D
Jim

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Jimbo your plans changing may actually help you a bit. Now that Thanksgiving is past and deer season is open it should give the birds a chance to settle down a bit. I rarely see many others out in the field now until the end of the season. Both Larned and Hays will offer you places tostay, with Hays giving you more amenities. Basing from these towns I'd personally then drive an hour out of town to start hunting. I won't mention what way on here :) .

You sound like my kind of guy, travel light, hunt hard, and enjoy the trip. I'm going to do a little exploring myself this weekend, hope it works out.

ky birdhunter

Post by ky birdhunter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 pm

My Son's last day is the 17th as well. He is going to miss that day as long as he doesn't have any tests.
I will let you know what we find when I get back. Where in Southern Indiana do you live???

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:51 pm

ky birdhunter wrote:My Son's last day is the 17th as well. He is going to miss that day as long as he doesn't have any tests.
I will let you know what we find when I get back. Where in Southern Indiana do you live???
I live In Terre Haute for the moment, hopefully be moving about 20 mile south in the next 90days or so. Good luck with your hunt man, let us know how it goes.

Jim

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 pm

muddycreek wrote:Jimbo your plans changing may actually help you a bit. Now that Thanksgiving is past and deer season is open it should give the birds a chance to settle down a bit. I rarely see many others out in the field now until the end of the season. Both Larned and Hays will offer you places tostay, with Hays giving you more amenities. Basing from these towns I'd personally then drive an hour out of town to start hunting. I won't mention what way on here :) .

You sound like my kind of guy, travel light, hunt hard, and enjoy the trip. I'm going to do a little exploring myself this weekend, hope it works out.
thats the only way to do it man. I've duck hunted in Arkansas over christmas break for the last few years with a couple of guys and I'm over the headachs of it. I decided I'm gona go west and chase birds this year and do it at my own pace. ive got a young GSP, and my lab and I figure if I go alone I got no one to impress but me.
Thanks for the additional info too.
JIm

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:06 pm

I have a very good friend that I talk to 2 times per week that lives in western KS. He has destroyed the pheasants this year. I don't know about it being tourism.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:10 pm

I haven't heard of anybody doing real well in WIHA across the state. Went around Greensburg this morning and saw 3 birds. The ground looked as good as any private ground in the area. Planning on going up north in the next week or so. A lot of the deer hunters hunting on private ground up north and out west have been seeing a ton of birds so that is a good sign. Good luck.

Steve

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:45 pm

hunted opening week north above hayes Phesant and quail numbers were good, I hunted all WIHA, I hit the thinner CRP next to cut crops, plum thickets and edges around cut fileds and dit pretty well...didn't kill a limit each day but killed birds and seen birds and missed a few.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 pm

went last week, based in western region 2. great year for quail in that area, more than i have seen in the past 5 years. pheasants were ok, a lot more hens than i ever remember, i think the areas i hunted were out of the dumb roosters and caught onto my game real quick.... i ended up with 3 for the week that i found in trusty old honey holes. after hearing the local talk i turned my attention to the quail and averaged a covey about every 2hrs....... which is excellent for me. i think it could have been better had it not been opening week of deer season, a couple of my holes were invaded by deer hunters the last half of the week.

headed out west for a day, south of hayes, got into a lot of hens but didn't see a rooster. the area looked good, i think if i had more time out there i would have been more successful.

TMcphail

Post by TMcphail » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Anybody been to the Hill City or Morland area in Kansas? I am Going hunting up ther for the first time this week.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:55 pm

I have been out near Hays twice this year, once earlier this week and once in the middle of November. I had a great time and saw plenty of birds both times. The last trip however, the birds were much wilder flushing as we entered the fields or 200 yards out from the dogs. We hunted mainly walk in areas.

Good luck and let us know how you did when you get back!

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Plenty of birds in the area, but they dont always come easy.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:38 am

Heading to La Crosse, KS Monday the 20th for 4 days with my 13 yr old son and a truck of young dogs. All have seen pen raised birds, but never wild quail or pheasants.
Any idea on what to expect and what type of area should I get better dog work in? Will I get into more quail or pheasants in the area?
More into getting the good experience for son and having a good time. Lots of pictures and watching the dogs. Don't know if I will carry a gun or not.
Want to get first pheasant for my son and the young dogs.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:01 pm

hi-tailyn wrote:Heading to La Crosse, KS Monday the 20th for 4 days with my 13 yr old son and a truck of young dogs. All have seen pen raised birds, but never wild quail or pheasants.
Any idea on what to expect and what type of area should I get better dog work in? Will I get into more quail or pheasants in the area?
More into getting the good experience for son and having a good time. Lots of pictures and watching the dogs. Don't know if I will carry a gun or not.
Want to get first pheasant for my son and the young dogs.
Good luck! We want to see pictures when your done!