Deutsch Drahthaar Owners

Meatballs

Deutsch Drahthaar Owners

Post by Meatballs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:55 pm

I am new to this forum.

Looking to find out who on this site owns a DD and hunts it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Deutsch Drahthaar Owners

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Greetings We have a few but the GWP is more popular I believe. Hope you enjoy your time here and we can be of somehelp if you have questions.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:12 pm

I have a 2 year old DD. She is a very good dog, and getting better every week. :D She has not lost one pheasant this year, and that number is around 150-200. Not all me, friends shooting as well. I'm sure she will lose one, but she hasn't yet. :wink: I love the biddability of a DD.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Madra Rua

Post by Madra Rua » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:31 pm

I own a 2 year old female I use to hunt grouse and woodcock, I love hunting with her,
use her also for waterfowl, from puddlers to seaducks, will allways own one as long as I hunt.

Madra Rua
Fetch it up

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:27 pm

I had GWP for over 30 years and breed/train/hunt DD for the past 9 years.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:13 pm

I've had DD's for the last 9 or 10 years. They suit me well.
Here's a website for you to do some reading on: http://www.vdd-gna.org/
You didn't say if you have a drahthaar or have one in your future.

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Greetings We have a few but the GWP is more popular I believe. Hope you enjoy your time here and we can be of somehelp if you have questions.

Ezzy
There's a difference between GWPs and DDs? I thought they were the same thing. Just kidding :) I've hunted behind a couple of DDs and they were good dogs. They seem very steady in the field...not high energy, but they get the job done.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:41 pm

jhorak wrote:They seem very steady in the field...not high energy, but they get the job done
After having owned a handful of DD's over the years I would not say that low energy would be an accurate generalization. I close friend once had one that was pretty low key but the ones I have owned were all pretty snappy in the field.

jhorak

Post by jhorak » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 pm

windswept wrote:
jhorak wrote:They seem very steady in the field...not high energy, but they get the job done
After having owned a handful of DD's over the years I would not say that low energy would be an accurate generalization. I close friend once had one that was pretty low key but the ones I have owned were all pretty snappy in the field.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that they are low energy. I probably mis-worded that. They aren't a high-strung, hyper dog. How's that? :)

Coldwater

Post by Coldwater » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:47 am

I to have DD's and love hunting them for whatever is in season and seems to fit my mood.
That is a great thing about them, whatever the game is they are ready and willing for it.
www.coldwatercanyon.weebly.com

Merle

Post by Merle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:30 pm

So far this year my DD has retrieved doves, pointed quail and pheasants, broke through skim ice to fetch mallards and tracked a bow kill I couldn't find. (not all in the same day!) :wink:

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:34 pm

I should have mentioned that I am getting my first bird dog...Deutsch Drahthaar from the Eisbarteich kennel the Klucks in Watertown South Dakota.

i have done a ton of research and i hunt waterfowl, upland, and love to bow hunt deer and all other game and turkey. I oscillate from the south to the west to alaska. I wanted the versatility of the DD and have planned this day for three years.

I am getting a male out of Droll III from Dr. Jack Wilsons stud dog from vom Wirehause in Watertown SD as well bred to Cache at Eisbarteich.

Been waiting for a long time...grown fond of the dog owner relationship i have seen in my brother and friends in the field and cabin.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Gene and Lona are good folks - I'm confident you will get a good dog and will have great resources in Klucks for any training or testing questions.
Enjoy!

Coldwater

Post by Coldwater » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:39 am

JakeDD wrote:Gene and Lona are good folks - I'm confident you will get a good dog and will have great resources in Klucks for any training or testing questions.
Enjoy!
I will second that.

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence in Lona and Gene and what they do there in Watertown. I am getting a male from their K litter that was sired by Droll out of vomWiredhause. Pretty excited.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Meatballs - just a technicality, but Droll is not actually out of Wiredhaus kennel. Jack imported him from Donaueck kennel in Germany a number of years ago.
Where are you located? Have you been to any training days, tests, breed shows, etc?

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:54 pm

You are correct. I am in Etown Kentucky. Not been to any events yet...looking forward to it.

Merle

Post by Merle » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:09 pm

Glad to see you are getting a DD, they are great dogs and companions. Glad you did your research first, I think you will be happy with your pup. I usually caution my friends to be careful about getting a pup from an imported German sire. Sometimes you don't know what you are getting if you don't know the dog well.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:13 pm

I have owned a few DD's over the past several years. As long as I am physically able to hunt the wide range of game that I do now I probably wont own any other breed. Except for the little Jagds.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

dfg-mo

Post by dfg-mo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:31 pm

I have a 5 year old female that was born in Germany. She is very friendly, smart, loyal & an outstanding hunter. I got her to mainly hunt pheasants, but she will hunt just about anything. After owning and/or hunting with other breeds in the past, I agree with Georgia Boy, that the DD is probably the last breed I will own. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
Dave

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:57 am

38 days and counting.

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Well i have him now for 6 weeks. Been good. Cant figure out how to make the pic smaller. U can view it by clicking on it and scrolling the pic to view it.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 am

Meatballs,

Typically, the smaller images that you see are hosted on sites like photobucket.com and then the images are linked via the URL. Those sites have code that you can copy and paste into your post which will allow you to insert smaller images or even clickable thumbnails that enlarge when click on them.

I copied your photo, uploaded into my photobucket account and then inserted it into your post using the code.

denmot

Post by denmot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:12 am

I have a 16 week old DD. First hunting dog for me and I am really enjoying working with him.

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 am

Az Draht wrote:Meatballs,

Typically, the smaller images that you see are hosted on sites like photobucket.com and then the images are linked via the URL. Those sites have code that you can copy and paste into your post which will allow you to insert smaller images or even clickable thumbnails that enlarge when click on them.

I copied your photo, uploaded into my photobucket account and then inserted it into your post using the code.
thanks brother...appreciate it...for some reason i am unable to view those pics that are posted that way.

buDDget hunter

Post by buDDget hunter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Another happy DD owner here. 3 year old female. Fantastic dog from house to field.
If a man is reasonably intelligent there is practically nothing a good dog can't teach him. ~Robert Ruark

Onnja Vom Elderbach
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

GreenwoodDD

Post by GreenwoodDD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:01 pm

I am new here but I to have a DD Female she is amazing she comes from Vom Rex kennels out of livermoore CO and has been a joy to train and her natural abilities make me look like I know what I am doing. Aubi Vom Rex is a year old and has hunt and pointed pheasant, quail, black earred jack rabbit and works the water well loves to retrieve those ducks, not sure about geese she seems to not like them But as a fellow owner and first time owner I can say this be patient be constitant and be loving and they will do the same, and o yeah birds, birds, birds they cant get enough. Josh

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Mine will be six April 26th. She's a sweetheart and one of the finest hunting dog's I've ever owner. Not bad with grand kids either!!Image
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Im a new pointing dog guy, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what, exactly, is the difference between a DD and GWP? Im NOT trying to start an arguement, its a real question, if it offends someone, sorry, not the intent.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Bailydog, I believe the only difference is that the DD is out of German lines and the Wirehair is American lines. DD translated is German Wirehair

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Charlie is correct. Genetically, they are the same animal.

Difference is in the breeding of the dogs. All DD's have to be tested and pass standards for ability, disposition, gunsensitivity, water, and cooperation before a breeding can be made. In my opinion, the chances of getting a good DD are better than getting a GWP, simply because any two GWP's can be bred, regardless of temperament or ability.

There are a lot of good GWP's out there though too.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:26 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Mine will be six April 26th. She's a sweetheart and one of the finest hunting dog's I've ever owner. Not bad with grand kids either!!Image
The look of "I'll give you giddy up"
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nldd

Post by nldd » Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 am

Meatballs, i have a three year old male dd out of kens vom willow rock kennel here in newfoundland ,he is a good upland,water dog ,,,,his pic is on kens site front page,under young male. .....lorne