Owner Dog Relationship

Meatballs

Owner Dog Relationship

Post by Meatballs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:39 pm

I have been hunting over gun dogs now for three years and shot a bunch of birds and seen Brits, DDs, GSP, and mostly my brothers labs Cheyenne and Rocky.

I have developed a fondness for the love i have seen between the owners and dogs. A friend of mine sent me the Ten Commandments of being a dog owner since he found out i am getting my first gun dog in late January. While reading it...all the great times over all my friends and brothers dogs came flooding by. Most notably, the time in camp when the dogs were tired and eating and snuggled up while we all rehashed the days events and the stories their best friends help create....I am looking forward to joining the fraternity of gun dog owners.... :mrgreen: Matt

Brittguy

Re: Owner Dog Relationship

Post by Brittguy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:57 pm

You just cannot imagine the treat you are in for. Sounds like you have the right outlook to appreciate the wonderful times that are going to be in your future.

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:47 am

Each day afield with your dog is like a gift.

Great to hear and happy for you. What breed will you be getting?

Cary

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 am

I am getting a Deutsch Drahthaar out of South Dakota. From Droll III line.

windswept

Post by windswept » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:39 pm

I've had a lot of dogs over the years. I've had some that cover ground like a rocket with prey drive coming out of their ears that have only hunting in mind the entire time they are awake. Sometimes a dog like that can be a blast to hunt with but a pain to live with. Those dogs tend to be the envy of my friends but my best memories are being made with dogs that do a good job in the field and can sit on the ground with me while I recline against the pick up and share a sandwich at lunch time with them. For me, that's what it's all about.
Include that pup in your non-hunting life and you are in for a great time.

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:05 am

Meatballs wrote:I am getting a Deutsch Drahthaar out of South Dakota. From Droll III line.
I'm getting a Deutsch Drahthaar too. I've been following your posts on here because we're in the same boat with it being our first gun dog and all. I have trained cow dogs and love that working relationship with a dog. Love all the stories we tell about working them and love the look of satisfaction on a dog's face when they know they've done a good job. Good luck when you get your dog. I'm really looking forward to mine.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:47 am

Congrats on the new hunting partner! I am getting a new dog, the excitement and wait, even at the age of 46, make me feel like a young kid at Christmas! Enjoy!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

BrittGSP818

Post by BrittGSP818 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Nothing really beats the time you two spend looking for game. You will soon want to go hunting not to get birds but to see your pup work and develop. One of the greatest moments is their first point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:52 pm

My wife and I have had hunting dogs since we were married 15 years ago, and I cannot imagine not having one around! You will find yourself doing things (like driving to North Dakota twice a year) you would not do without dogs, just to get out and play with them...

Here she is at 10 weeks, hard to beleive she just finished her 8th hunting season.
As a note don't use the wing on a string thing once you see your dog can point!!! (You don't want them to learn to sight point).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.