Opinions on Chipping your Gun Dog

Meatballs

Opinions on Chipping your Gun Dog

Post by Meatballs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:00 am

What are the positions out there on microchipping your dog? I have never done it...only had one dog and technology did not exist then.

proudag08

Re: Opinions on Chipping your Gun Dog

Post by proudag08 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:11 am

Do it.

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 am

proudag08 wrote:Do it.
Copy and thanks. Anyone out there against it for any reason? I have never done it.

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I concur -- do it. It's relatively cheap and I've personally never heard of any side effects. My last dog was an escape artist and the chip paid for itself many times over.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:53 pm

These microchips only work if someone finds your dog and the vet or shelter scan the dog right? I mean you can't locate a dog with one can you? I'm in leave it to beaver land here and don't know anything about these chips!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:04 pm

I know of people who had dogs picked up while training to get them back months later because the dog got picked up and scanned by the pound and returned to the rightful owner

My pups get chipped before they head to their new homes.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Meatballs,
If you are planning to Penn Hip test your dog for HD, the Vet is required to Chip your dog as part of the Penn Hip Identification process. My dogs are Chipped
as part of the HD testing record. You might consider doing the same thing.
RGD/Dave

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Onk wrote:These microchips only work if someone finds your dog and the vet or shelter scan the dog right? I mean you can't locate a dog with one can you? I'm in leave it to beaver land here and don't know anything about these chips!
No you can't locate a dog that has been chipped.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 pm

no the only way they work is unless the person who finds the dog takes them some were that can scan them and i might be wrong but i don't think all scanners and all chips are compatible again i could be wrong.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:16 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:no the only way they work is unless the person who finds the dog takes them some were that can scan them and i might be wrong but i don't think all scanners and all chips are compatible again i could be wrong.

Most chips are readable by universal scanners ..A friend of mine got talked into some odd brand which his requires a special reader. My universal scanner couldn't read that chip and mine has picked up many different chips including ones from Europe and Canada, I told him he should get a name brand chip for his dog

I used the AVID euro style chips which are readable by more scanners
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:20 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:no the only way they work is unless the person who finds the dog takes them some were that can scan them and i might be wrong but i don't think all scanners and all chips are compatible again i could be wrong.

Most chips are readable by universal scanners ..A friend of mine got talked into some odd brand which his requires a special reader. My universal scanner couldn't read that chip and mine has picked up many different chips including ones from Europe and Canada, I told him he should get a name brand chip for his dog

Thanks Knine I wasn't sure if i had my info right, I must still be stuck in the old days of chip technology :D

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:

Thanks Knine I wasn't sure if i had my info right, I must still be stuck in the old days of chip technology :D

Well let just say the SMARTER chip companies learned in order to be competitive in the market you need to make yourself readable. :lol:

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:58 pm

We just sold a puppy to a family that their last dog was stolen early in the hunting season. If your dog is lost or stolen and it has a chip, eventually a vet or someone will scan the dog and the dog could be returned to you.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

RBraddy

Post by RBraddy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:31 pm

i did it to all my dogs
it might be long shot if you lose a dog but it might be your only chance to get them back

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:36 am

Looked up some of these chips on the net and it looks like you buy them yourself, do you take it to the vet and have them inject the chip or is this a do it yourself deal? http://www.microchipidsystems.com/customers.htm this is the sight I was mostly looking at.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 am

Since I microchip quite a few pups and dogs through out the year I purchase batches of chips at a time

Now not everyone can handle chipping their dog or pup it is a rather large needle the Microchip it self is about the size of a grain of rice and you have to get it deep under the skin to lay it on top of the shoulder blade area. and also it is a good idea to have a scanner handy to make sure the chip is inserted after you have inserted it. I have seen a few people try and they kinda freaked when their dog squallered and jerked around and the chip fell to the ground as they pushed the plunger and pulled back at the same time.

The two biggest names are home again and AVID I like the AVID ones as they do not charge a yearly fee to up keep info when your dog gets lost they are a one time in a life time fee unless of course some information has changed then they charge a small fee to update your records

mik

Post by mik » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:42 am

Absolutely will be getting our 9 Month old pup chipped when he's in getting neutered in the next few weeks....I don't see a downside to having it done and plenty of positive

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:20 pm

mik wrote:Absolutely will be getting our 9 Month old pup chipped when he's in getting neutered in the next few weeks....I don't see a downside to having it done and plenty of positive
I agree but there is a definite downside to having a nine month old neutered. That is asking for big trouble and expensive in the future.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BlueRiverSpringer

Post by BlueRiverSpringer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:34 pm

I always tattooed my dogs, I chipped one the first time a few years ago. It migrated along ways from the back of the neck to down the side of the rib cage behind the leg. That pisses me off. I tattooed the next dog and just had one chipped 2 days ago. I have Home Again chips. They now say this new one is supposed to not go any where. There is problems with many brand of chips migrating. So if they don't do a real good job and scan the whole dog, good luck. Time will tell if this one stays put.
When you think you are smarter then your bird dog, ask yourself, "Who cleans up who's poo"?
http://www.bluerivergundogs.com/Home_Page.html

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Yes some will migrate. Most everyone I know including me does scan the whole body if on is not found near the shoulder area. Plus the newer chips have a coating on them which is supposed to help them stay put. even those occasionally slip down the side or to the chest

But I have seen tats that when a dog was 4 years old were impossible to make out. Plus if someone is going to steal your dog and they see the tattoo they will scar it up so it becomes unreadable and I have also seen tats on dogs that were about 5 also become hard to read.

So nothing is totally perfect but I do know of some people personally getting dogs back literally months later because of a microchip.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 am

I have always chipped any dogs that I have. I could be the last hope of getting them back and it is not expensive.
My DK is tatooed and I still chipped her. The tatoo is very hard to read.

Meatballs

Post by Meatballs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm

I went ahead and had Diesel chipped couple weeks ago with a universal chip. Big needle...was not painless.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 pm

BigShooter wrote:
Onk wrote:These microchips only work if someone finds your dog and the vet or shelter scan the dog right? I mean you can't locate a dog with one can you? I'm in leave it to beaver land here and don't know anything about these chips!

not yet, anyway. the AVID rep was here today, and was telling me they are talking to a GPS company about making the chips GPS trackable. not only that, but you could track the dog anywhere in the continental US with your personal cell phone! i thought that was pretty cool.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

dog dr wrote:
BigShooter wrote:

not yet, anyway. the AVID rep was here today, and was telling me they are talking to a GPS company about making the chips GPS trackable. not only that, but you could track the dog anywhere in the continental US with your personal cell phone! i thought that was pretty cool.
Cool and scary at the same time

They already have a device for those with beginning Alzheimers where if the person goes out side of a certain area the spouses phone will alert the spouse. Just saw a deal for that literally the other day

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:48 pm

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:57 pm

A chip is a very good idea, but it is not a replacement for an ID tag.
If your dog runs off, a tag enables whoever finds them to call you to get your dog back as soon as it's found. If all it has is a chip, it will take at least a day or two before it gets scanned and you're tracked down.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:08 pm

doc, that is some very interesting information. It was only a matter of time before they came up with something like that, but I am wondering how expensive it will be, at least when it first becomes available.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:28 pm

I was at the animal shelter a couple of weeks ago. While I was standing there, someone brought in a stray Newfoundland. The dog didn't have a collar and the first thing the shelter workers did was pull out their scanner to see if the big fella was chipped. They didn't find a chip while I was there. Presumably, the owners eventually called looking for him. But I personally had an occasion where the shelter called me while I was at work to tell me that they had my dog -- and I didn't even know she had escaped.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 pm

We have dogs with Avid chips, and one with a Home Again chip - none of the chips have moved, and whenever we have a dog at the vet with a chip we have them scan the dog to make sure it's working. The Avid chips are a one-time payment deal, but the Home Again chip has an annual fee attached to it.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 pm

birddogger wrote:doc, that is some very interesting information. It was only a matter of time before they came up with something like that, but I am wondering how expensive it will be, at least when it first becomes available.

Charlie

i think he said something about $200, but i dnt know if that was te cost to the retailer or the cost to the end user.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:01 am

Sounds like some info is missing here. The minute one starts talking about location across any kind of distance presently it requires transmitting a signal. As I understand it chips don't do that at the present time, which is why they are safe. It seems like a miniture power source would need to be incorporated with the chip for implantation. For the energy source to last by maintaining low power, it would appear it would need to be capable of being remotely switched to high power for location transmission, at which point energy stores would presumably be used up fairly quickly. Think about the current lifespan of the Garmin Astro collar technology, the size of the battery and the recharging process.

Furthermore frequent or constant energy transmissions adjacent to biological tissue have been reported as a suspected cause of carcinogenic changes, e.g. cellular phone warnings.

It's been interesting for some time because if the technology issues were resolved and implanted devices worked as described, presumably there would be much broader application than just the location of missing dogs.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Here's a device that's been around awhile (couple of years?) that provides a location service, and it will notify you if your pet goes outside certain boundaries (for a service fee).

http://www.zoombak.com/products/pet/

Don't have any experience with them....

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:54 pm

nj gsp wrote:We have dogs with Avid chips, and one with a Home Again chip - none of the chips have moved, and whenever we have a dog at the vet with a chip we have them scan the dog to make sure it's working. The Avid chips are a one-time payment deal, but the Home Again chip has an annual fee attached to it.
Actually, thats not 100% correct. We have both of our dogs chipped with Home Again. The basic service doesn't cost a thing once the chip is installed. You still get the chip with all the contact information. However, they do have a program that gives you a bunch of extra stuff that does cost about $16 per year. But the basic service is free. I don't know how Avid chips work.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 pm

dog dr wrote:
birddogger wrote:doc, that is some very interesting information. It was only a matter of time before they came up with something like that, but I am wondering how expensive it will be, at least when it first becomes available.

i think he said something about $200, but i dnt know if that was te cost to the retailer or the cost to the end user.
That would be very reasonable IMO. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 am

We have dogs with Avid chips, and one with a Home Again chip - none of the chips have moved, and whenever we have a dog at the vet with a chip we have them scan the dog to make sure it's working. The Avid chips are a one-time payment deal, but the Home Again chip has an annual fee attached to it.
My understanding is several manufactures try to get you to pay an annual fee, however it is not necessary because your original data will always be in the chip. The only reason one would pay the fee is if you move. If you read the chips contract it should say that the info will always be there, but they usually bury that at the bottom in hopes that you will send in the annual fee.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:22 am

AVID is a one time fee with a charge for update

HOME AGAIN has on their newer brochures that they are an Annual fee..My vet just changed to them :| Or I should say the vets sons who are slowly taking over made the transition over. Thankfully I purchase my own chips but lots of 25 as I prefer the Euro style AVID chips and the one time fee

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:21 am

I had my pup chipped as soon as I got him at 8 weeks old. He yipped when it was inserted but it was only slightly more than when he got his shot. I guess some dogs react differently than others. I am much more comfortable knowing he has both a tattoo and a chip.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 am

HOME AGAIN has on their newer brochures that they are an Annual fee..My vet just changed to them :| Or I should say the vets sons who are slowly taking over made the transition over. Thankfully I purchase my own chips but lots of 25 as I prefer the Euro style AVID chips and the one time fee
I called HOME AGAIN and asked them, You pay once and the information is ALWAYS stored in the chip there is NO NEED TO PAY THE ANNUAL FEE. The annual fee is for extra coverage. It is a gimmick to keep you paying, they will send you emails telling you to renew and there is no need to renew except to get EXTRA services. I read this on another forum and confirmed this by calling them.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:01 am

nikegundog wrote:

I called HOME AGAIN and asked them, You pay once and the information is ALWAYS stored in the chip there is NO NEED TO PAY THE ANNUAL FEE. The annual fee is for extra coverage. It is a gimmick to keep you paying, they will send you emails telling you to renew and there is no need to renew except to get EXTRA services. I read this on another forum and confirmed this by calling them.
Then Home Again should make that also Noted on their Wall posters and brochures they send to the vets offices as all we could see was Annual Fee and this was very notable on both the Posters and Brochures . So how is anyone to think any different when that is the information they pass out to potential clients

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:13 am

I completely agree, I went to their website today to confirm what I had read and it looked to fee like the annual fee had to be payed. I then call the 800 number and the operator told me its for the Premium service. 1-888-466-3242 is the number.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 am

nikegundog wrote:I completely agree, I went to their website today to confirm what I had read and it looked to fee like the annual fee had to be payed. I then call the 800 number and the operator told me its for the Premium service. 1-888-466-3242 is the number.
That is poor marketing at its finest...If it was me or should I say my company I would make note of a one time fee and then play up the premium service that the chip can offer to those that want to pay the annual fee.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:47 pm

We had our pup chipped 2 weeks ago because we want her to get CKC registered and they wont accept her registration from AKC unless she was chipped..oh ya and it had to be a certain chip or they dont accept it so if you happen to chip a pup from the u.s and want to CKCreg it or visa versa make sure its the right chip or you will have to double chip the dog which is what happened to our friends weim..now ive noticed a little "ball" on her back that moves around if i touch it..could this be her chip that moved from her shoulder blade area to her lower back?..i will be taking her to the vet monday to have them look at it but just wondering if this has happened to anyone?.....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:11 pm

I had my pup chipped with an AVID chip today, quick and easy. I saw on EBAY that you can buy a single use chip kit for $10. Worth a thought for future dogs. Anyone have any experience doing it yourself?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:30 pm

On the migrating chip..it happens quite a bit this is why people with scanners are told to scan the dogs entire body but you start at the shoulders.. I have found chips in back legs down by the elbow in the front leg under the chest area...Never seen a migrating chip bother a dog or ever heard of any complications from one.

as for DIY chips we d our own pups and stuff..if you are faint hearted or can't take a dog yelping and will freak out..have someone else do it as it is a BIG needle and you need to get it DEEP through the skin to deposit the chip between the shoulder blades

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 pm

kninebirddog wrote:as for DIY chips we d our own pups and stuff..if you are faint hearted or can't take a dog yelping and will freak out..have someone else do it as it is a BIG needle and you need to get it DEEP through the skin to deposit the chip between the shoulder blades
Shouldn't be a problem, I do my all my own tails and dew claws. Sounds like I will look into it next time. Vet charged $45 which I thought was reasonable, but if I can do it myself for $10.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:29 pm

kninebirddog wrote:On the migrating chip..it happens quite a bit this is why people with scanners are told to scan the dogs entire body but you start at the shoulders.. I have found chips in back legs down by the elbow in the front leg under the chest area...Never seen a migrating chip bother a dog or ever heard of any complications from one.

as for DIY chips we d our own pups and stuff..if you are faint hearted or can't take a dog yelping and will freak out..have someone else do it as it is a BIG needle and you need to get it DEEP through the skin to deposit the chip between the shoulder blades
So if this is the chip thats now moved on her back would it continue to move or most likely stay put..i hope its not the chip because its right on her back and i can see it not just feel it..that will not be good for confirmation shows im sure..now i have to wait until monday to see the vet, either way im nervous chip or not..thanks....ruth

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:55 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:On the migrating chip..it happens quite a bit this is why people with scanners are told to scan the dogs entire body but you start at the shoulders.. I have found chips in back legs down by the elbow in the front leg under the chest area...Never seen a migrating chip bother a dog or ever heard of any complications from one.

So if this is the chip thats now moved on her back would it continue to move or most likely stay put..i hope its not the chip because its right on her back and i can see it not just feel it..that will not be good for confirmation shows im sure..now i have to wait until monday to see the vet, either way im nervous chip or not..thanks....ruth

I would doubt seriously that is the chip not that it couldn't be but the chip is about the size of a grain of rice..So if you are seeing something yes I would have it checked out that doesn't sound right

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:40 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:

Has she had any vaccinations recently? Sometimes these will leave a lump under the skin that can be fairly obvious. One of my dogs is sporting a fairly good lump from his rattlesnake vacc.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Prairiegoat, yes she had her vaccines a few weeks ago the same day she was chipped but this just showed up now, i run my hands on her every day especially cause we walk alot and i check her for any injuries from the bush area we go threw and didnt feel it before..i thought maybe it could be a thorn injury or something but there no entry wound or scrape or anything on the outside..its squishy and i can move it around so i know its not a bite but i do know it is where she had her bordetella vaccine.. ive seen bumps show up on dogs within a day or two of vaccines but not almost 3 weeks later, have you? i hope thats what it is, i wanted her to see the vet today but when i called they said hed be back from vaca wednesday..its not bothering her in any way and she still is as bouncy as ever so im not to worried to wait until wednesday to see him first thing in the am...thanks for the suggestion i do hope it is the vaccine....ruth

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:30 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:Prairiegoat, yes she had her vaccines a few weeks ago the same day she was chipped but this just showed up now, i run my hands on her every day especially cause we walk alot and i check her for any injuries from the bush area we go threw and didnt feel it before..i thought maybe it could be a thorn injury or something but there no entry wound or scrape or anything on the outside..its squishy and i can move it around so i know its not a bite but i do know it is where she had her bordetella vaccine.. ive seen bumps show up on dogs within a day or two of vaccines but not almost 3 weeks later, have you? i hope thats what it is, i wanted her to see the vet today but when i called they said hed be back from vaca wednesday..its not bothering her in any way and she still is as bouncy as ever so im not to worried to wait until wednesday to see him first thing in the am...thanks for the suggestion i do hope it is the vaccine....ruth
I do have a couple dogs that got bumps after rabies shot and years later those bumps are still there
and the snake vaccines can do that also...