Where to go this year....

Iowa

Where to go this year....

Post by Iowa » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:07 pm

So I think we have made the executive decision not to head to Iowa for opening weekend Phez this year. There is just no reason to rush up there when I rarely see another pheasant hunter in the same county all year. We will save that for our Christmas trip. We are thinking of making different trip we just dont know where. SD is an obvious choice but I would like other suggestions, I dont need to know your honey hole but just a general area with plenty of public ground. My brother-in-law mentioned Western Kansas for one idea. FYI - I'm driving with 3 - 4 guys and my 2 dogs from the St. Louis area.

fourtrax

Re: Where to go this year....

Post by fourtrax » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm

webster to aberdeen area of South Dakota?

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:04 am

My guess is that you want to hunt phez. But if you want a mixed bag, I would suggest western ND or SD, where you can get a chance at huns, sharpies and prairie chickens in addition to phez. Or if you want a real mixed bag and are willing to travel, some western states in Oct. have up to 8 species of upland birds available to hunt, including phez.

Merle

Post by Merle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:38 pm

If you go to Kansas you will need to get to at least Abilene. Usually find both quail and pheasants. It is about a 5 or 6 hour drive from Lake St. Louis and just eating at the Brookville Hotel makes it worth the drive!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm

fishvik wrote:My guess is that you want to hunt phez. But if you want a mixed bag, I would suggest western ND or SD, where you can get a chance at huns, sharpies and prairie chickens in addition to phez. Or if you want a real mixed bag and are willing to travel, some western states in Oct. have up to 8 species of upland birds available to hunt, including phez.

Western states such as ______?

I'd actually like to do an out of state road trip, staying in the western part of the U.S. I've considered WY. but also MT. I would just like a variety of species.
Last edited by JWP58 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 pm

I do some of hunting West of Brooking SD, loads of birds but not much public land. South Dakota Game+Fish put out a real nice plat-book that has maps of the entire state, showing all the public land and its free. Like someone else said Aberdeen, Webster area is fantastic but your probably going to have to pay. Lots of public land in southwestern Minnesota and if you don't mind putting in the time you'll probably limit. Minnesota has out-state license in relatively cheap however the limit is only 2 (3 after dec 1st). In eastern South Dakota we always see some huns, not a lot, and on occasion some prairie chickens. My best advise if you hunt SD,or MN is to avoid the first three weeks of the season.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 am

JWP58 wrote:Western states such as ______?
Idaho has three forest grouse species, sharptails, huns, valley quail, chukars, pheasants and very limited bobwhites all open in October. Both Washington and Oregon have the same without sharptails but add mountain quail.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 am

Man, Idaho sounds like a winner. Whats public land hunting up there like? Lots of country or is it like texas...none (ok maybe not none, but close to it)

From checking the Idaho fish and game website it looks like the south-west part of the state has the most species of birds..
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)