Ft Benning

usmc4295

Ft Benning

Post by usmc4295 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:33 am

Hey guys looks like my job is taking me to Ft. Benning (civilian contractor now). Was wondering if anyone knew how the bird hunting was around the area I saw some stuff on google bout ruffed grouse up in northern georgia but my time off is going to be pretty limited so any ideas suggestions tips hints things like that?

marslebl

Re: Ft Benning

Post by marslebl » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 am

I'm from Columbus, GA originally. Not a lot going on as far as wild birds, with the exception of a good dove shoot. Head south, closer to Albany, GA and there is a quail plantation everywhere you look. This is where the best concentrations of wild quail are too. Never done much Grouse hunting, but I heard there is some of that up north in the mountains. Great wood duck holes throughout AL and GA. Good duck hunting along the river and large reservoirs. Great deer and hog hunting in the area too.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 pm

USMC4295,
Wish I could help you, we did some Quail hunting at Benning way back in the late 60's early 70's, but everything has changed now, don't even know if you can hunt on the Fort any more. There are some serious Quail hunting plantations all over Georgia however. You should not have all that much trouble finding a good one close to Fort Benning.
RGD/Dave
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks guys was hoping if I got out of lousiana and headed north a little there would be some better bird hunting... oh well try to make the best out of a bad situation lol

gsppurist

Post by gsppurist » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:51 pm

I train my dog on Ft Benning and occasionally hear wild birds in the periphery of the dove fields that I train. Because of lack of options, I started hunting wood ducks and will try Teal this season. Seen some teal when scouting last month. If you are still around, PM me for training/hunting.

outdoorman

Post by outdoorman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 pm

I live in north Georgia,7 miles from NC,TN state line, there is a great hunting preserve in Dawsonville, GA if you want some quail hunting, as far as wild quail we have a few, very few around ELYJAY,Ga.as far as grouse, ive seen two in four years in the Mineral, Bluff area. Good luck.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 pm

usmc4295 wrote:Hey guys looks like my job is taking me to Ft. Benning (civilian contractor now). Was wondering if anyone knew how the bird hunting was around the area I saw some stuff on google bout ruffed grouse up in northern georgia but my time off is going to be pretty limited so any ideas suggestions tips hints things like that?

The turkey hunting is great!!! Don't know much about the rest.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 pm

I don't know about birds, but an Army Ranger friend of mine that was stationed there went hog hunting on base one night and killed a nice hog with a speargun. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"