4 month old Diesel's First Hunt (Draht)

Meatballs

4 month old Diesel's First Hunt (Draht)

Post by Meatballs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:53 am

Well, since I have left South Dakota a year ago, I knew I would have to join a preserve to be able to hunt birds here in Kentucky. It was that or not hunt birds…not hunting birds but once every year in SD was not enuff for me.

The wild population of snipe and Bob White are very limited and are located over in the eastern Kentucky mountains.

I joined a preserve real close to home here and took Diesel for his first exposure to birds.

I had no expectations whatsoever. I just wanted to get him around some planted birds and see how he reacted.

I did not carry a gun and wanted to just concentrate on watching my 4 month old lil guy work the field.

I bought both pheasant and quail…my buddy JB did the shooting.

Diesel did not even notice the gun going off. Was never phased.

He pointed every bird we had opportunities to shoot (9). It took no coaching from me whatsoever. I never even had to say whoa. It was like watching a movie.

One bird we walked within 5 feet of and when diesel got downwind of it he pivoted on his front right foot, spun around in a flash with his left leg cocked and locked up…he pointed within 10 feet of the bird.

He even retrieved a quail that ended belly up in a pond after being shot. He wasn’t sure what to do and when I encouraged him he retrieved the bird in the water and brought it back to me.

The other birds that JB shot were all pointed by Diesel…he does not have the visual coordination to even know that the bird had been shot most times because of the commotion…in those situations I started chasing the down bird and encouraged him to follow…he then proceeded to point the dead bird…he got a chance to spend time with every downed bird and I traded compliments and a treat for every point he provided for us.

This is my first gun dog. I have bird hunted for years. I have never had so much fun.

He also decided to test the water in a pond for the first time. Once he got in he did nascar laps combined with greg louganis belly flops and then rolled in the mud...you can see how caked over his hide is in the pic on the tailgate.

Lona (Breeder out of Vom Eisbarteich Kennels in Watertown, SD), I am thrilled with my choice of a Draht and even more pleased with his bloodlines. If he never got any better than he is right now as a 4 month old I would be satisfied.

Matt :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Meatballs on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: 4 month old Diesel's First Hunt (Draht)

Post by birddogger » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:59 am

I feel your enthusiasm!! :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Good Job pup ! thanks for sharing the pic's :D

44magnum

Post by 44magnum » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

That's great! I have a DD pup a month younger than yours and so far I couldn't be more pleased. Looks like you both had a blast and he's doing good for you.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Nice!!..have fun, thats what its all about :wink: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

duke7581

Post by duke7581 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Great pics and im gonna be there shortly hopefully in the process of researching DD's right now and when i find what im looking for gonna do it. Always had FT labs so should be an interesting switch.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Sounds like a very good first experience....congrats and good job. Great looking pup.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:27 pm

duke7581 wrote:Great pics and im gonna be there shortly hopefully in the process of researching DD's right now and when i find what im looking for gonna do it. Always had FT labs so should be an interesting switch.
What are you looking for?
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com