Vizlsa information

LtsHnt

Vizlsa information

Post by LtsHnt » Sun May 01, 2011 11:53 pm

I am looking at getting a good Vizsla pup this year and am sure there are some experienced vizsla owners who could answer a few general questions for me.

1-pros and cons to the breed and if you prefer one gender over the other? (assuming the dog is fixed)
2- is there a dif. between field trial titles and hunt tests regarding how the dog will hunt, or is it all up to how you train your dog? i would prefer my pointer hunts within 40 yrds and i am assuming this depends on the training but please correct me if im wrong.

Thanks

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Vizlsa information

Post by RoostersMom » Mon May 02, 2011 11:51 am

I have a Vizsla and work closely with the Showme Vizsla Club and am around a variety of Vizslas for a lot of the year. I do hunt tests with my boy - and he's a great wild bird dog too. He works closely because the line of dogs I picked him from are super intelligent and close working - they adjust to the terrain. The breeder also has a few field trial Vizslas, but mine is from a breeding based more on producing a foot hunter's dog. He's a natural retriever and one of the smartest dogs I've ever owned (and I grew up with Border Collies!). And be prepared to never have to go to the restroom alone once you own a velcro dog!

As for your specific questions:

1) Negatives of my dog is that he doesn't have the same hyper drive to hunt down and kill everything that my EP and GSP have. He even (gasp) likes cats. However, I can take him anywhere, do anything with him and he excels at whatever we do (hunting, hunt tests, agility, obedience, youth hunts, rabbit hunting (he retrieves) ). I prefer males over females, in this breed the males are the lovers. The females are quite a bit more independent. My dog is fixed.

2) I do not think the training will stop a big running dog from getting out there a ways. My best suggestion to you is the find the dog you'd like to hunt over and then make sure the breeding is to the same type of dog... then get one from that litter. Not to say training doesn't matter - it does, very much. However, I would not buy an all-age field trial puppy and expect it to be easily trained to hunt within 40yds.

Give my dog's breeder a call and ask her some of your questions - she has a lot of experience with the breed. She hunts wild birds a ton with her dogs and trains the rest of the year. Lin Kozlowski - Everedi Kennels in Deepwater MO. She can be blunt with you - she's a plain speaking woman. But she can also help you find the right litter, even if it's not one of her dogs.

bwire

Post by bwire » Mon May 02, 2011 8:17 pm

We have two vizslas in our house, Nittany is 6 and Blitz will soon be 3 (both males). They are half brothers with both having the same father. As far as cons go, they are very affectionate dogs and want to say hello to every visitor that comes to our house. I don't have a problem with that but my sister-in-law does not like dogs and we end up keeping them outside when she visits (as long as the weather is nice). They also do not respond well to heavy handed training. Some people say vizslas are soft but I think they are more sensative than soft. My dogs will hunt in some of the thickest stuff to get to the bird. If you plan on doing any cold weather hunting over water a vizsla may not work out so well.

Pros:Our dogs have been very good with our two boys (3 and 5) and I used to take Nittany into my wife's classroom. He did very well with all the kids in the school and including some special needs students. Both dogs were easy to train for the field and in the home. I used to run Nittany in flyball (before we had kids) and he did very well with that. Both dogs will retrieve well but Blitz does a better job than Nittany with bringing a bird right to me. They do not range real far but they will adjust according to the cover, staying closer in thicker areas and ranging out more in more open areas. They will also check back regularly and when I walk in a different direction I don't have to call them. When they see me walking a different way they come running to stay in front of me. The parents of our dogs went through the hunt tests and my dogs have done well for me in the field. I used both of them on youth hunts and veteran hunts that our chapter of PF does in the fall.
Here is a picture of Nittany doing flyball.
This is Blitz when he was about 6 months old

Good luck with you search!

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Mon May 02, 2011 9:57 pm

thanks for all the help..luckily your cons are my pros (one mans trash is another mans treasure!).

bwire

Post by bwire » Tue May 03, 2011 5:27 am

I don't mind the affection of the dogs but it can be too much for some people.

VizslaGirl

Post by VizslaGirl » Tue May 03, 2011 9:37 am

I own 2 Vizslas, and work closely with the Vizsla Club of Metro Atlanta. I am also very close with my breeder and spend a lot of time around her dogs.

I own 2 females (9 years old and 14 months old) and I love the independant nature of the V Girls! It's very true that the boys are the lovers, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I like the bitches better. My 14 month old is out of BIG running lines, her grandfathers on both sides are well known for running bigger than a field trial course. That being said... I do hunt tests with her and we have both learned to work with her crazy big range (Actually, even her big running grandpas have proven to be great foot-hunting dogs as well). I like it - keeps it exciting!

I also compete in conformation and rally obedience with my 14 month old. The breed is very intelligent, gentle and loves to please. They are high-energy and can hunt all day, but will also be happy to flop down on the floor in the evenings and chill. My 9 year old acts like she's 5, and still keeps up with the young dogs. They age gracefully and are wonderful hunting partners for a long time.
CH Barben's Miss American Pie - "Mimi"
Barben's Chianti CD, RA, MH - "Cali "
Barben's Rob Roy SH - "Robby"
Barben's Summer Fling MH - "Summer"
Barben's Dizzy Miss Lizzy - "Lizzy"

BlueMoon Vizslas - http://www.bluemoonvizslas.com

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 pm

This guy will run a big gun dog and as soon as you are off of a horse he will work closer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:41 am

ultracarry wrote:This guy will run a big gun dog and as soon as you are off of a horse he will work closer.
Who is that?
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:07 am

ultracarry wrote:
This guy will run a big gun dog and as soon as you are off of a horse he will work closer.

Who is that?
is that jack?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu May 05, 2011 10:12 am

Ya that's jack "on-points flying axle". here is a pic of hootie....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Nice looking dogs!
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Tania_C

Post by Tania_C » Fri May 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Pros: They're patriotic

Cons: They'll smoke all your weed.

Tania S. Campbell
DC AFC Bayview's Treasured Odinn MH
Melto's Freyja
Aldercrest's Thor of Woodlynn OA, OAJ, OJC, OAC, NGC

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat May 07, 2011 10:04 pm

LtsHnt, the vizsla is a great breed. I have had vizslas for the last 12 years and couldn't be happier. My next dog will be a pointer (as there is something awesome about that athletic white dog with the big tail), however I will always have vizslas.

As stated in several previous posts, they are generally a very affectionate breed and strive human attention and interaction. If you plan on keeping the dog in an outdoor kennel, this may not be the best choice of breed. They do best kept in the house. Most are on the soft side and do not take well to harsh training methods, physical or verbal. They are often thought to be "high strung", however no more so than the other continental breeds. Any dog, large or small, hunter or house pet, all benefit from regular physical activity. A 10 minute walk twice a day around a couple of city blocks is not physical activity.

Regarding hunt test or field trial breeding, you will generally find that a dog from field trial breeding will be a naturally bigger running dog. Having said that, many dogs will adjust their range depending on the hunting situation. Although dificult, it would be easier to bring in a bigger running dog with training than to get a "boot polisher" to range further out. But remember, one of the great things about a pointing dog is it's abiltiy to cover alot of ground. Although you wouldn't want an All Age big runner that you need a scout to keep track of, don't be too upset if the dog gets out a bit further than your desired 40 yards.

The topic of males or females is all a matter of personal preference, and people will argue for either one. Some people will say that an unaltered male will have the highest drive and others say that a spayed female is the easiest to train. I have had both and would take either if from good breeding and properly trained. The best guarantee for a good dog is to pick from good breeding and to train it properly. Now, I am a bit partial to males, and this sounds crazy, but I think of them more as "one of the boys" at camp. Just my personal preference if I had to choose.

If you take your time, do your homework and choose the right breeding, I'm sure you will be very happy with your vizsla. Breeding is so important. A good breeder will also be happy to show you the parents abilities in the field. Don't be afraid to travel for a good pup if you have to. If you restrict yourself to a local litter you will be doing yourself an injustice. Best of luck to you.
Last edited by madmurph on Sat May 07, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat May 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Awesome post Tania, love the photos, and great accomplishments on Bayview's Treasured Odinn.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.