Texas Hog Hunting

3Britts

Texas Hog Hunting

Post by 3Britts » Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 pm

I have a couple of buddies who keep suggesting that we take a couple of weeks and head to Texas to do some hog hunting.
None of us have done any hog hunting. What can I expect and when should we go?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Texas Hog Hunting

Post by ACooper » Thu May 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Expect a lot of fun. Will you be hunting with dogs? In a stand? Spot and stalk? I would suggest researching your guide before you go.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 05, 2011 8:54 pm

3Britts wrote:I have a couple of buddies who keep suggesting that we take a couple of weeks and head to Texas to do some hog hunting.
None of us have done any hog hunting. What can I expect and when should we go?
Depends on where you go

Is can be a total blast if there are pigs to be aimed at...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri May 06, 2011 6:30 am

Texas is over run with pigs. I was driving to a NSTRA trial last weekend and passed about 60 tearing up a guys pasture. You can eat the sows, but with your boars, take your pics and leave em there! The new thing is to either hunt them with dogs or by helicopter (you can YouTube search the helicopter hunts). They're in every single county in the state and are doing a number on our quail population as well. Good luck and keep us posted!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 am

Boars we will get the backstrap from them

PS WARNING Be sure to have some tick spray and before handling have a Big bottle of some dawn dish soap and water...They can be LOADED with fleas and ticks this time of the year and the ticks don't hang around the oaks to long as they do drop from the trees and the lice don't worry about them they are host specific

When over in Texas for our deer hunts I do the caping and cleaning of the deer and the pigs I try and do the least amount as possible specially in the spring and summer I HATE TICKS I HATE TICKS I HATE TICKS

Tea tree oil will kill ticks

but besure to get your clothes you plan on hunting in sprayed well with some of those good ticks sprays also spray your shoes
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri May 06, 2011 4:09 pm

Hunting with dogs is the only way we do it, otherwise its not that much fun. I like to get up close and personal.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Make sure to bring a super sharp knife of excellent quality because the hide on those suckers will dull it quick and a small hacksaw for the ribs. I skinned out a couple a few years ago and nocked a big chip out of my Schrade knife blade by chopping at the rib bones with it. Good luck.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:10 am

Things to keep in mind:

1. Despite all the rumors, feral hogs do not wear kevlar vests (not bulletproof, .223 and up will work fine)
2. In light of the info above, theres no need to pack a howitzer
3. Pigs are mostly nocturnal, you may see a few in the morning and late evening, but mostly at night
4. This time of year, i wouldnt touch the nasty little turds, just enough to get a CHEAP rope around a leg or two to drag them off (cheap rope so you can just cut it)

How you hunt them will decide a lot. I myself go at night and hunt over a feeder that has a light on it. I just sit in my Tacoma til they show and start blasting.

Next weekend i'll probably pull an all nighter.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue May 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for all of the info.
When would you say is the best time of year to hunt hogs?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 pm

If it were up to me I would go late Dec - min March. Should be less foliage to deal with, fewer ticks, snakes etc. Have to work with an outfitter because deer season will still be going in Dec.

If you get a chance to hunt hogs with dogs jump at the chance, it is a HUGE rush, the first pig I took with dogs was almost 15 years ago taken with jagd terriers and black mouth curs. Might be more fun than shooting birds over a point, well a bigger rush anyway.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:51 pm

I think the best time would be late winter. All of the acorns are gone and feeders become the easy meal
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

centexhunt

Post by centexhunt » Fri May 13, 2011 1:53 am

We run hog hunts here in Texas.
Im looking for a akc gsp female if anyone wants to trade out for some hunts?
There is nothing like dove opening day in Creedmoor Texas!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri May 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Saw a vid of hog shooting in TX, used a full auto rifle in a hellicopter :) you can pay for one of these types of shoots, isnt hunting tho, just killing varmints like shootin prairie dogs.

Texas hunting forum is the place to get information. Many land owners will not let you on their land due to lawyers and such. I am looking to run down to Harlengin next winter and shoot a couple....

We used to run pt bulls on wild hogs, they would each grab ahold and pull it apart :) peta would have a field day but it was fun..
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri May 13, 2011 5:18 pm

markj wrote: We used to run pt bulls on wild hogs, they would each grab ahold and pull it apart :) peta would have a field day but it was fun..
Must have been small pigs... And some things are better left unsaid on a public forum. JMO

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon May 16, 2011 9:10 am

Must have been small pigs... And some things are better left unsaid on a public forum. JMO
Heck no some were over 300 lbs. and was common hunting in South Carolina in the day. Look up some pit bull hunting forums and see what them dogs can do. I also used one for deer, he would stalk me right up to a deer every time. Shoot deer, dog runs and grabs deer till you get there and finish it if it wasnt dead.

And why do you belive this isnt I shouldnt post this in a public forum? Some used dogs on bears in the old days, many books on that... More to hunting than shooting little birds, I used my shorthairs on coons, yotes, blood track shot deer. I often wonder if Ishold take one on a turkey shoot :)
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:29 am

Mark,

I am an ex-hound guy who has seen and done plenty of things with dogs that I would not care to describe to someone else. In fact, as I have aged a good many of them I find distasteful now myself. I belive Acooper was offering an opinion that is only common sense. What you describe is controversial at best, it survives because it remains largely unnoticed by the masses. The more attention that is drawn to some methodologies of "hunting" makes their demise infinitely more likely. That is of concern to us all, because shortly thereafter the attention turns to the
shooting little birds

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon May 16, 2011 6:49 pm

markj wrote: Look up some pit bull hunting forums and see what them dogs can do. I also used one for deer, he would stalk me right up to a deer every time
I have taken many pigs with dogs, I know what they can do. The point of my post was not the hunting hogs (or bears, or anything else) with dogs.

It was in response to this
markj wrote:they would each grab ahold and pull it apart
Do you not agree some might find this offensive?

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Hogs are everywhere here... all year round... do the vultures a favor and kill some hogs!!!

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue May 17, 2011 4:55 am

In Wyo. I can get ahold of a book, put out by the DWM, that has the names of farmers willing to let me hunt phesants on their lands. Is there something like it for Texas?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:43 am

You are right Mark..we will all be dead soon, none of it matters. Where are those pit sites, they sound charming?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 17, 2011 12:26 pm

One would assume bay pen competition is a little off the radar here?

Pits and ABDs are used as ketch dogs sometimes here, but BMCs and Cats the breeds of choice for strike, bay and ketch.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue May 17, 2011 4:31 pm

We prefer to use our DD's and Jagds
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 am

Where are those pit sites, they sound charming?
I was under the impression this thread was about hunting and killing wild hogs. Sorry if I upset some of you, this is a hunting forum, we kill in our hunts....

Remionds me of a plane trip, I was leaving LAX to Omaha, was talking to a gent about my feed lot and raiseing cattle. Well a gal gets up in front of me and says I am making her sick to her stomache she dont eat anything with a face. I told her I dont either, I cut off their heads. Plane erupted in laffter, she turned red and sat the heck down. Wasnt her conversation to begin with just some nosey do gooder tjhought everyone else was on her side of the conversation.

I hunt, I kill, I eat what Ikill cept for skunks and other varmints. Folks dont like it, best stay home cause I kill animals all the time. Hogs, steers, wild animals. It is a way of life her in Iowa and the midwest altho some lilly livered antis have moved into the area. We have laws against them interfering with what we do here.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed May 18, 2011 9:31 am

I was under the impression this thread was about hunting and killing wild hogs. Sorry if I upset some of you, this is a hunting forum, we kill in our hunts....

Remionds me of a plane trip, I was leaving LAX to Omaha, was talking to a gent about my feed lot and raiseing cattle. Well a gal gets up in front of me and says I am making her sick to her stomache she dont eat anything with a face. I told her I dont either, I cut off their heads. Plane erupted in laffter, she turned red and sat the heck down. Wasnt her conversation to begin with just some nosey do gooder tjhought everyone else was on her side of the conversation.

I hunt, I kill, I eat what Ikill cept for skunks and other varmints. Folks dont like it, best stay home cause I kill animals all the time. Hogs, steers, wild animals. It is a way of life her in Iowa and the midwest altho some lilly livered antis have moved into the area. We have laws against them interfering with what we do here.
You're funny I will give you that. I can assure you that I was not personally offended. What you are obviously are missing that we do not need and negative publicity to any of our pastimes, what you fail to grasp is it may not be detrimental to our way of life in your life time but how about mine? Or your childrens? I will stand by what I said before some things are better left unsaid in public, hunting forum or not. You think only hunters read this forum? Ignoring an issues does not make it go away.

BTW I posted a photo of a coyote I shot a a while ago and received nasty PMs from members here on this very board. I am telling you the "good people" are the ones you have to worry about.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 18, 2011 12:29 pm

What you are obviously are missing that we do not need and negative publicity to any of our pastimes, what you fail to grasp is it may not be detrimental to our way of life in your life time but how about mine
In my time this was not a concern, some folks bent over and let others tell em how it is gonna be. Fight for your rights, them antis tried to take away our gun rights but there is a movement in America is getting that back for us, I suggest you younger guys ante up and send some cash to the groups want to help you keep those rights. I do and my hunting days are close to over.

Hunting is seen as distastefull to many, so Idont invite them along :)
BTW I posted a photo of a coyote I shot a a while ago and received nasty PMs from members here on this very board. I am telling you the "good people" are the ones you have to worry about.
I am kinda surprisedd on that, I saw that pic and thought you did a good job :) wasnt all shot up and an easy skin. I used to hunt yotes with discarded runners from the dog race place here. We would sight the yote, turn 12 of them greyhounds loose, run him to ground and send in my pit. Used to get 50.00 bounty for the ears. Had to cut them over thehead in one piece.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Sun May 29, 2011 8:18 pm

I would like to give you my personal Texan invetation to come on down here and kill as many as as you can.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon May 30, 2011 10:03 am

That would be great. I just have to find a time when the three of us can get off work.