Phesant hunting

deke

Phesant hunting

Post by deke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:23 pm

The time is almost here to start planning phesant trips. We are thinking about heading to miller, SD. Does anyone here know if there is good public hunting up there or if we could get on any private land in SD that holds birds? Our group is three guys and two dogs, we are up for anything if you know of any better public hunting.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Phesant hunting

Post by nikegundog » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Deke, South Dakota has a booklet, more like a plat-book of all the public land in SD and its free, its a must-have. Check with game and fish and the dpt. of Tourism shouldn't take much to find it, if you can't find it let me know and I'll check. Miller is a popular area so most private land owners will want $$, but it will be available.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:43 am

We hunt in Miller every year. Its AWESOME. We do have access to a smaller private ranch, but we do hunt a lot of public as well. Usually stay at Lake Louis, which is north of Miller. There are a ton of birds there, and a lot of hunters. The ranch we hunt (we are a small group, usually 4-6 guys tops) we can do in a long afternoon, so we hunt walk in areas and Lake Louis before lunch, hit the ranch after lunch. Been going there for 7 years, never a problem getting our birds. Two of the years were a lot more work, too many crops still up one year, the other the wind blew 400mph everyday (well it seemed like 400mph!). Get the phamphlet that shows the state land, its a huge help. It also makes a difference how many guys are going, a lot of the state/walk-in stuff near Miller, is relatively small and really not suitable for huge hunting parties, which is good IMO, keeps a lot of people away I think. Lake Louis is pretty big, but gets hunted pretty hard everyday, but we alwyas kick up some birds there, always. I absolutely love and look forward to Miller every year, it is awesome. Last year I had to go alone, no one could or wanted to go, my oldest son (18 now) has a serious girlfriend, so, I went. The only thing I would say, is in my opinion, IF you have a huge hunting party and no private land access, it might be a bit tough. Having said that, Ive never planned a hunt out there with a large group, so I could be totally wrong, but the stuff we hunt, is best suited for small-medium groups, IMO.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 am

I used to go to Miller every year and don't have too much to add other than what has already been said. A lot depends on the crops and where they are at harvest wise. We just hunted ditches and right of ways for the most part and hit Lake Katherine (I think) a few times later in the season. Plenty of walk in areas around those parts as well.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:44 am

I have gotten the booklet, thats how I decided on Miller as a base area. Im just looking for some guys who have been there to confirm what I am reading, and from this it sounds like it is a good spot to check out. Do you guys know what the farmers would charge to get on their land and hunt for a day or two. Also, we were thinking about going in the middle of November, is that a good time of the season?

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 pm

Last time I was out there the low end being asked was $100 per gun per day. That was at the beginning of season which may affect the price. Mid Nov would be good as the crops should be gone by then.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:37 pm

+1 , can't go wrong during mid Nov., seen $100 a gun on a lot of fliers. I hope we're talking Pheasants and not Pesants, they tend to frown on the latter. :cry:

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 pm

Very good. I didnt even notice the spelling error. Do the farmers advertise over there for private hunting or is it a knock and talk like eastern washington?

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:54 pm

deke wrote:I have gotten the booklet, thats how I decided on Miller as a base area. Im just looking for some guys who have been there to confirm what I am reading, and from this it sounds like it is a good spot to check out. Do you guys know what the farmers would charge to get on their land and hunt for a day or two. Also, we were thinking about going in the middle of November, is that a good time of the season?

Mid Nov is a great time to go. We usually go first weekend and just before thanksgiving. The latter obviously has less birds, but all the crops are off and the pressure is usually less too. And, IMO, unless you are going with a huge group, you wont need to pay to hunt private land, if you do your homework. Some like to, but we never have had to. We have a ranch we can usually hunt, unless their relatives are there, which has happened twice, we still got out birds. However, when we did not have access to the ranch, was themid october trip, so I cant speak for mid Nov. How many of you are going? I have a few spots to hunt and a good place to stay, for a few possibly. Not a free place to stay, but a good one, cheap, if going with a small group. PM if interested.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 pm

He said in his original post 3 guys, and 2 dogs.