A Wish for a Grand Slam...Species #2

QCBirddogs

A Wish for a Grand Slam...Species #2

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Earlier this year I read a touching post on another board.

It consisted of a story about a young man, written by his mother, with a terminal disease that wished to shoot a grand slam of turkeys before his debilitating disease didn't allow him the ability.

After several E mails, phone calls and date changes, the hunt was on!

Eric and his cousin Travis were to arrive on the night of April 6 at our ranch in Oklahoma.

In the interim, I spoke with several friends and clients and explained our plight. Many stepped up to the plate! We had several ranch owners say, use our place and make sure you get those boys birds. Several friends offered help as well. One came out from Ohio to help guide and aid in the daily chores around the farm. Another, in the video business, offered he and his wife to guide and film the whole weekend. Yet another, JW, offered to make a grand slam of custom wing bone calls for him with personalized scrimshaws!

The young men arrived on Thursday in the late morning. They drove all night with only a few hours rest.

The rest of our guides were due to arrive latter that evening, so we had some play and rest time.

The boys seemed tired so we guided them back to the ranch after meeting in town. Unloading their belongings went quickly but they didn't want to take a break.

Eric has a 6 wheel ARGO that he gets around the woods with. We unloaded that from the truck and he wanted to show us what it can do. He took us on quite a ride around the land, as well as through the ponds! What a machine!!

Getting to know these two young men was easy. The hunter in all of us makes an awkward meeting rather easy, we all have something real special in common. They settled right in quickly.

We got to see a Bass Pro video of an Elk hunt and a photo album of all the hunts and fishing trips that Eric took in the last few years. Hearing him tell the stories was even more exciting. The glow on his face was priceless. Personally, I enjoyed hearing the tales of the hunts the two boys had together. I was very impressed with the love and care his older cousin Travis had for him. They seemed inseparable.

My wife made a big supper and it was to bed early for the first days hunt........

To be continued.......

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:38 pm

The first morning hunt was tough. The wind was blowing up to 45 miles per hour. The dust balls and smoke from fires made it hard to see. It didn't take long before we decided to call it off and regroup for the afternoon.

It rained most of the afternoon, we got a late start. Eric was worn out and decided to stay back at the house while we took Travis on a stalk hunt. We saw quite a few birds, belly crawled a few pastures, but couldn't get quite close enough.

We did have a chance to get Travis to chase a Armadillo to see if he can make it jump. He was way to slwowthough!

Before sunset, we headed back to the roosting areas, waiting to see what we can put to sleep for the night.

Friday night was a blast. The boys loosened up, we had a great supper, played the guitars, sang a bit and had a few cold ones. We let the video camera roll all evening while we coaxed Eric and Travis to tell us stories about their hunts....

Bright and early Saturday morning Eric and Travis headed to the roost with their guides Phil and Jessica. The winds were fierce yet again! This time they had several birds with three nice Toms "detree." After spending a few hours having the birds toy with them, they slowly walked off.

I took my cousin on a stalking hunt the same morning. Just as we had given up and decided to head back to the house, we accidentally walked up on a few. He scored a nice Jake! We were hitting the driveway the same time as the boys were empty handed.

Noon time brought the idea of visiting my wife at the sale barn, where she bleeds, ID's and Preg checks all the cows to be sold. They also have an excellent cafe, so lunch was in order! Good eats and a plan for the afternoon hunt.

We headed out after lunch to the old barn. We heard a few Gobblers sound off on the way in. We quickly set up and hit the calls. The ole boy kept toying with us so Phil and I headed out to find him, while the others waited. Once we found him and all his hens we gave up and headed back to the crew. We found Travis nose to nose with a 1800 pound Black Angus Bull, and Eric egging him on to jump on for a ride! Boys will be boys! We quickly difused that situation and again, empty handed, headed back to the house.

After getting some training and caring for all the bird dogs here, Gayla pulled in the drive. The plan was to set out early and roost some birds for an early Sunday morning hunt. The boys needed to get home to Indiana at a respectable hour.

This time Gayla took Eric, I took Travis and Phil and Jess headed out on their own to scout, all while my cousin prepared a feast with his freshly harvested Turkey!

It didn't go exactly as planned.......

Travis and I were not as stealthy as we thought, our first group heard us and headed for the hills! We did manage to roost a few nice Toms and a few hens though. I called home to see how others did when we hit the truck..... Eric and Gayla scored and we headed home to get the scoop!.......

TBC

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:42 pm

As Gayla and Eric were pulling in to a hot spot, they caught a big group by surprise. Gayla jumped out to see what was beyond the hills, and Eric hit the call a few times. A Jake broke off, heading right for the ARGO. With no way to tell him what she was seeing quickly, he took aim.

He landed a perfect shot on a Jake that weighed in at 16 pounds and had a 4 1/2 inch beard.

We enjoyed the story and made plans for the mornings hunt to chase the rest of what Gayla saw over an excellent supper of wild turkey STOUP.

After supper, Gayla called in a favor from her brother, the local Game Warden. He showed up personally, in uniform, to meet and check in Eric's turkey.

The evenings festivities were even better than the previous ones. We also explained that we have not served them the "Special Guest Dinner" of calf fries yet. Which most replied that they wouldn't eat anyway!

5am came quick after a long night of yodelin'!

We set up quick hunkered down and hit the record buttons on the cameras. When daylight broke, the trees thundered!

It is early in the breeding season here, so we duel called from two areas. Three Toms hit the ground hard and fast and came right in. We were back home in an hour!

Travis landed a nice Tom.....18 pounds, 8 1/2 inch beard with 1 inch spurs.

With the hunt over, we headed back to the ranch for coffee. As we pulled in the drive, I mentioned, the one thing that would make the last 12 hours even more perfect is..., if we drive the pasture and find our new colt born.

One of our maiden mares was over due by two weeks and we have been checking her twice daily. As we rounded, the feeding area all the horses were standing around her. We didn't find her and her colt, but her just laying down to foal! A very rare sight, to say the least. We were able to video the whole affair, along with the Philly's first step and meal!

While watching the festivities with everyone, we all decided, judging by the events of the last 12 hours that her name will be...... R.E.O's Rio Grande. PERFECT! What a day!!!

After checking in the bird, we headed home so the boys could pack as we made them lunch.

A bottle of Champagne, Italian Sausage and Peppers and what they thought was Travis' freshly killed Turkey, southern fried!

The meal was great......they all raved about the food for the last few days and thought they got away without having to eat Calf fries. I asked what everyone thought of the fresh turkey......Most said it was all right.......Then I asked, remember that I said you all had to eat the Special guest Dinner!.........

Two young men packed a truck and headed west on a quest to hunt a Rio Grande Turkey with Red Earth Outfitters, people they have never met before.

They arrived in Perry Oklahoma, strangers to us, as we were to them. Three days later, After drawn-out goodbyes, hugs, and handshakes, they left as family!

Never have I met two finer young men. I hope they take us up on our invitation to hunt Quail and Pheasant this fall.

Phil & Gayla Salvati

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:54 pm

What good people you are! Thank you for the story.

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:05 am

Phil, OUTSTANDING!

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:44 am

That is a great story, you and your wife a tribute to your state.

Best Regards,

Rob

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 am

Thanks for the story, it really made my day. You two are a pair to draw too I must say :) top notch in my book.

By the way a Phillie is a sandwich, a filly is a young female horse, Dad called them all "colts" when first born. I have had the fine privilage to see many thoughbreds be born and a few of them win on the track. It is a wonderful thing to be a part of.

Been to many a sale barn, just brought back 2 angus steers, left the fries there :( they is gaining up real good.

Sounds like one great place for a visit and a hunt.

My nephew is going on a youth turkey hunt soon, it is his first time out. It will be held at Desoto bend and only kids can shoot. They also do a youth pheasant in the fall. We have been taking kids on these for 4 or 5 years now, it is the best thing ever to see them get the first one. The light really goes on and we have hunters to take our place.

Hats off to you both, you two are wonderful folks and I hope to meet you both some day.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:45 am

Mark,

the Philly and Fillie thing has always been a pet peeve of mine. I hated being called it! lol

Hence the play on words.

I have guided many a youth hunts on pheasant as well. I too, enjoy the pleasure it brings to the children.

The feeling this last hunt brought to us is hard to convey. We are thinking of starting a new group or site helping other young people reach their dreams.

I will say, this will not be the last hunt we offer to someone in need!

BTW, you are welcome anytime.

Phil

omega58

Post by omega58 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:43 am

Thanks for sharing the story Phil, seems like everyone had a great time. . . and not just hunting.

Scott

Post by Scott » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:43 am

Great story Phil. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Its always great meeting other people who hunt. Thanks for sharing the story.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:12 pm

phil and gayla....
what a fantastic story!
eric, my girls and i (and all 3 of our dogs) can all vouch for the great time phil and gayla show their guests. it brings a whole new meaning to the term southern hospitality!! my girls are still asking/begging about when we will be going back to oklahoma to visit!!!

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:17 am

That was a wonderful story. True meaning of good people. Thanks for sharing that!!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:03 am

We are thinking of starting a new group or site helping other young people reach their dreams.
That would be great, I would sure like to "guide" a youth hunt or two early on in the season before it gets too cold or nasty.

Tomorrow is youth turkey and my young nephew is going on his first ever. It is at DeSoto wildlife refuge :) they are huge and all over the place. My brother is taking him out, he hasnt got a turkey either. Only kids shoot this time around.

I may take you up on the hunt next fall. There are some old friends of mine in Ok city I could also look up. He dont hunt tho.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935