Sweeping downhill shots at Chukar

Billinsd

Sweeping downhill shots at Chukar

Post by Billinsd » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm

I went out to shoot some clays today on some blm land and got up on a steep hill and we took turns throwing clays left and right downhill to simulate flushing a chukar downhill.

These are TOUGH shots for me. What was hard was trying to lead the clay as it fell hard to the left or the right. How do you guys do it? Use a sustained lead below the clay or follow through from the top of the clay downward?

Thanks
Bill

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Re: Sweeping downhill shots at Chukar

Post by DGFavor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:05 am

We really didn't start improving our odds on chuks until we practiced shooting while balancing on two bowling balls on a 30 degree slope in our house slippers immediately after doing a 1/4 mile uphill windsprint and having a buddy simultaneously spritz water in our eyes to simulate sweat. If you want to entirely replicate the real deal, have the clay thrown behind you right before you actually call for it so it startles you and you have to turn around on said apparatus. It was just too easy otherwise. Good luck...post some video. :lol:

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:14 am

DGFavor wrote:We really didn't start improving our odds on chuks until we practiced shooting while balancing on two bowling balls on a 30 degree slope in our house slippers immediately after doing a 1/4 mile uphill windsprint and having a buddy simultaneously spritz water in our eyes to simulate sweat. If you want to entirely replicate the real deal, have the clay thrown behind you right before you actually call for it so it startles you and you have to turn around on said apparatus. It was just too easy otherwise. Good luck...post some video. :lol:
That's the best training program for chukar shooting I've ever heard of. I wonder why none of the sporting clay courses here in SE Idaho don't have a station like that?

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:58 pm

fishvik wrote:
DGFavor wrote:We really didn't start improving our odds on chuks until we practiced shooting while balancing on two bowling balls on a 30 degree slope in our house slippers immediately after doing a 1/4 mile uphill windsprint and having a buddy simultaneously spritz water in our eyes to simulate sweat. If you want to entirely replicate the real deal, have the clay thrown behind you right before you actually call for it so it startles you and you have to turn around on said apparatus. It was just too easy otherwise. Good luck...post some video. :lol:
That's the best training program for chukar shooting I've ever heard of. I wonder why none of the sporting clay courses here in SE Idaho don't have a station like that?
Advanced version: hold your shot until your slipper-clad feet are coming off the bowling balls and you are halfway into a bone-crunching fall. Don't forget to bring your most expensive shotgun.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Scott Linden wrote:
fishvik wrote:
Advanced version: hold your shot until your slipper-clad feet are coming off the bowling balls and you are halfway into a bone-crunching fall. Don't forget to bring your most expensive shotgun.

There are some large fans to simulate the winds right?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 am

Scott Linden wrote:Don't forget to bring your most expensive shotgun.
"Beaters" are definitely the gun of choice for chukars. Chukar hunting is definitly the X games of upland bird hunting. Only Himilayan Snowcock in Nev. may be tougher and I think they are easier to hit.

As I've often said before( probably in this forum) the ideal outfit for chukars is a semi auto with a drum clip, a GSP/Mountain goat cross and a chairlift. You hunt them for fun the first time and revenge from then on.

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:10 am

Sure sounds like fun! Might have to head out there one year and give it a try. This coming from a flatlander... I guess I like challenges!

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 am

fishvik wrote: You hunt them for fun the first time and revenge from then on.
:lol:

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:14 pm

That is just God's way of getting even with you guys out there on the prairie. You can't have miles and miles of prime picturesque country to hunt and then complain about how rough you have it. I am jealous of Doc Favor's pics all the time.....and then I watch his old video where he is huffin and puffin on the way to a dog that is pointed waaaaaaay out there.....I always giggle! :lol:
I bet he is on that horse most of the time!!!

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 pm

When I first started chukar hunting I was told the first thing you do is take your favorite gun your going to hunt with and just throw it down in the rocks very first thing so when you fall while chasing them birds(and you will) the scratches won't bother you any more

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:29 am

2dogs wrote:When I first started chukar hunting I was told the first thing you do is take your favorite gun your going to hunt with and just throw it down in the rocks very first thing so when you fall while chasing them birds(and you will) the scratches won't bother you any more
2 dogs, I was hunting the wiley bird just outside of Boise(the area is now a housing development) and I took a spill and broke the forestock of my shotgun off. I went home and glued it all back together and that became my chukar gun.

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:42 am

Ha, got ya beat, I'm on my 3rd set of stocks for my gun! I have amazing balance

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 am

I watch his old video where he is huffin and puffin on the way to a dog that is pointed waaaaaaay out there
Cripes, and that was just on the flats!!

I bet he is on that horse most of the time!!!
Even that scares the crap out of me!!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:17 pm

DG, Those photos remind me of helping range cons do upland surveys in Nevada, only in reverse. I had an agreement with my horse that if got my fat butt up the hill, I'd walk down and save both of our knees.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm

The sweeping downhill shot is very tough to mimic....especially when you factor in just how stinking fast the little buggers are when they cup there wings and drop altitude...

My buddies and i have found that one of two things seem to happen most often in our minds....one we rush the shot and shot over the bird, two we don't give it enough lead and shoot behind the bird. They are moving fast and its usually not a very close shot....make sure you have plenty of lead.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:35 pm

And one more ...

Once you've chased them up the hill a few times and they fly downhill before you get a shot, they'll decide they've had enough fun: on their last downhill flight they will increase their aerodynamic capability (follow along at home). As we all know, they only have five tail feathers, which look much like a human hand (extend your open hand, palm facing you, thumb and fingers splayed). Once airborne and at maximum airspeed, to minimize drag they will fold in the two left, and two right tailfeathers (for maximum effect, do that with your thumb and appropriate fingers). You will get the message chukars have been sending to predators for millennia.

See you at the top!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

2dogs

Post by 2dogs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Ha Ha Ha, You nailed it Scott! :mrgreen:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Once you've chased them up the hill a few times and they fly downhill before you get a shot, they'll decide they've had enough fun: on their last downhill flight they will increase their aerodynamic capability (follow along at home). As we all know, they only have five tail feathers, which look much like a human hand (extend your open hand, palm facing you, thumb and fingers splayed). Once airborne and at maximum airspeed, to minimize drag they will fold in the two left, and two right tailfeathers (for maximum effect, do that with your thumb and appropriate fingers). You will get the message chukars have been sending to predators for millennia.

Oh, yah, I can see that...of course you know what their call sounds like in flight as well..."efffyou!! efffyou!! effyou!!"

Who's laffin' now you little gray bastiges!!:

*sorry havin' some chukar huntin' flashbacks

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:54 pm

I subscribe to my dad's "massive lead theory." It involves an autoloader with the plug removed. And if you put enough lead into the air, something is bound to fly into it! :lol:

After your first year or so of hunting chukar, your lifelong quest is to find and catalog honeyholes where the birds are plentiful and the walking isn't straight up an down. And then take those secret locations with you to your grave. :twisted:

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:11 pm

What's all this talk of chasing up and down hills for? We've got them running in the washes around here. :mrgreen:

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Sweeping left = Dead chicken
Sweeping right = Chicken for another day

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Have you guys heard of Bob Farris in Idaho? He breeds Pudelpointers and he wrote and article about chukar hunting. He said what he will do is hunt the chukar from above them, moving downhill to them. When the dog points, he will make a big circle around the chukar and walk up on them from below. The dog has to be steady and the birds can't run. When he gets close to the chukar they will fly uphill and he has a much better shot.

Any of you guys ever do this? Thanks
Bill

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am

You can shoot clays on BLM lands? oh heck yeah... god I love it out here, can you train with pigeons as well? haha

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Hunt 'em from above - check:

Move downhill from 'em and flush up from below - check:

Steady dog - check:

Birds will fly uphill for a good shot - check:

Doin' it all wrong! Freakin' rookie!:

Did Bob happen to mention what to do if they point 'em on the flats?? :wink: :lol: :

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm green with envy.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 am

kbshorthairs wrote:I'm green with envy.
" :mrgreen: " ditto!

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 am

DGFavor wrote:Move downhill from 'em and flush up from below - check:
Pointing horses are not fair!!! :lol:
DGFavor wrote:Did Bob happen to mention what to do if they point 'em on the flats?? :wink: :lol: :
Chukar are NEVER on the flats, that looks photo shopped to me!!! :lol:
Thanks
Bill

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 am

Hey wait...is that picture with the horse Ed Mayhew?