WV grouse and woodcock

outdoorman

WV grouse and woodcock

Post by outdoorman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm planning a hunt this fall to norhtern WV, to hunt woodcock and grouse is this area a good bet?

ridgerunner

Re: WV grouse and woodcock

Post by ridgerunner » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:12 pm

I don't know about WV, but everything I reading about Potter Co. PA. sounds good. It's a little bit farther..might be worth it.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:12 pm

You would do better in north central Pennsylvania than the Northern panhandle of WVa.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:03 am

outdoorman,
I agree with the advise given, however if you are dead set on northern WVa you might try hunting just outside of Morgantown West Va. Contact the Greer Mine operation and get permission to Grouse hunt their property. They have some serious mountain forest that if you get permission can have some very good hunting on it.
I would however, because the Grouse population is low in WVa plan on spending some time on the northern tier of Pa, meaning above Rt 80. Our Grouse numbers should be decent this year again and the Grouse hunting more than challenging. In reality because the WVa Grouse population has dropped off, we have been letting WVa out of our yearly Grouse hunting trips. Pa is OSH friendly and the cost is more than fair, places to stay can be pricy or inexpensive depending on what you require. Dog friendly places are not as easy to find as they use to be, plan ahead if you come.
RGD/Dave

oldschoolhunter

Post by oldschoolhunter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Interesting. I've flushed plenty of birds from a certain area in Cooper's Rock this year. I know numbers are supposed to be down but just by this year's walks in the woods at Cooper's Rock, one wouldn't know it. I have a question about the Greer mine operation property. Is this the land off of 857 near the state line? I've read several things about the property on the Internet but no one ever says exactly which property they're referring and the company owns plenty of properties. I don't live in WV but travel there every few years for hunting trips between Pa. and WV. My personal experience has been a much higher concentration of deer in WV this year, less turkey, pheasant are practically gone ... but the grouse, fox and squirrel population seems pretty darn good. Oh, and my flushes came without a dog this year.