Pine Island near Portage, WI

Brittlver

Pine Island near Portage, WI

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:14 pm

Anyone hunt grouse in this area. Is it any good? Was thinking of going there opening weekend if it is nice.

Jesse

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Pine Island near Portage, WI

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Sorry Jesse, never heard of that, but who knows - give it a whirl...maybe a woodcock or two also. I will be there this weekend for a horseback trial and see if there are any locals that can lend some insight for you.

MTR

Post by MTR » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Jessie, haven't seen any grouse up there before. Hard finding the king in south west Wisconsin. Should be able to kick up a wood cock or two, but that isn't open for another week. 20 years ago, we uses to be able to get a grouse or two in Lancaster area of southwest Wi - lack of forestry and susational forest has really hit the population hard. It should be a nice walk in the woods though! Maybe you will find some chukar left over from a trial. Remember if you added pine island on your permit, you should be able to shoot chukar without tags since they are a non-native species. For the first time in a number of years, I will be staying home for the grouse opener. It is always too hot and too much foliage. Gonna go for the Woodcock opener the following weekend, then hopefully seven weekends in a row in the Northwoods.

Have fun!

-Rob
Last edited by MTR on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Ya I know what you mean. Hoping to get out at least for an hour or two. Trying to plan a trips up north. Thinking of trying to get a couple guys together to get the cabin Duggart is renting. $300 for three nights. Not to bad if you have 4 guys.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:47 pm

I have seen grouse north of the field trial grounds off levee road!

larue

Post by larue » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:12 am

pine island has a few grouse on it,when you get off the dog training area's.There are quite a few woodcock also.
I would expect to have a few more grouse at pine island after all the logging they have done in the past few years,might take awhile but the cover should be better in the near future for grouse.
Btw,the sand county almanac speaks of hunting grouse there,a cool book to read.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 am

larue wrote:Btw,the sand county almanac speaks of hunting grouse there,a cool book to read.
Indeed it is and I would reccommend it to anyone who enjoys the outdoor sports and is a conservation minded person (Hopefully the two are inclusive). It was required reading for first year students at the College of Forestry, Range and Wildlife Sciences (Now the College of Natural Resources) at the Univ. of Idaho when I was there many moons ago.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Ya I had to read it when I went to school for Natural Resources at FVTC. We also watched the movie. Very good. Funny how Wisconsin brings the best out in everything.