Duck Season Opens!

Mollyontherun

Duck Season Opens!

Post by Mollyontherun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:27 pm

This Saturday will be the opener. Due to a neck injury, I'm sticking with my upland gun- an SKB 20 G. Gas Auto plus a Limb Saver recoil pad! It shoots like a pellet gun :)

I'll be interested to see how I fare with the 20 G. I'm using Kent Fasteel 3" #2 @ 1550fps.

Saturday we are hunting with a lab. A week from Friday we are taking Molly out for her first blind hunt since we trained her to water retrieve last summer. I'm excited to see how she will perform.

Greek

Re: Duck Season Opens!

Post by Greek » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Good Luck!!! Please let me know how she does. I am getting some flack about wanting to Waterfowl my GSP.

Mollyontherun

Re: Yes, check back...

Post by Mollyontherun » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Please let me know how she does. I am getting some flack about wanting to Waterfowl my GSP.
Thanks, I'll post on this thread again... and let you know how Molly performs. Hopefully, we'll get some ducks and be able to post some pics.

As for GSP Waterfowling... I've heard from people who say their GSP can do everything a lab can do, to... "I'll never take my GSP out again."

One thing for sure... Molly does NOT live up to what most labs can do in waterfowl retrieving. But I think she will get the job done.

Here in W. Oregon, we usually have mild conditions 40s to 50s... and we have a neoprene vest for Molly too. Hopefully we will be able to keep Molly warm. I'm not sure what we will do when the temps drop to 39 and below. We'll see how she does in early season... maybe have to buy a heater for cold days.

The GSP whinning is another matter. As you know... GSPs LOVE to run. So waiting in a blind is usually counter intuitive for this breed. We bought a training collar that vibrates and had great success with stopping the whinning and steadiness in the blind.

Sincerely,

MOTR

Mollyontherun

Re: We couldn't wait till Friday- Pics

Post by Mollyontherun » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Well... we went out today and brought Molly out for her first official duck hunt.

She's not going to win any retiever trials, but she got the job done... retrieved every bird. She even "pointed" my son's lost crippled widgeon that was hiding in the grass :) No way he would have found that bird w/o a dog.

The weather was in the low to mid 40s this morning. Molly was a bit cold. We may have to think about investing in a bilnd heater if we want to take her out in colder weather.

Three Mallard Hens
One Mallard Drake
One Ring Neck
One Widgeon Hen
10-17-11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greek

Re: Duck Season Opens!

Post by Greek » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:57 am

Looks good!!! Good to hear. I can hardly wait to hit the blinds myself!! Congrats!!