No birds to be had here anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

No birds to be had here anymore.

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 am

Took my boys to two places where used to find birds a lot. Haven't in recent years but hoping they will come back. Trouble with both boys keeping focused Friday and Saturday. Just ran crazy and all over the place and way to big. Sunday we went out again and they were beautiful. Never got more than about 300+ yds out and pretty much kept me in sight all the time. When they went out of sight, They'd show again in a few minutes. Unfortunately this one former great place has been about ruined. Oregonian newspaper did a couple articles on it years ago. Called it the best kept secret in Oregon; it was! We'd see a couple hundred pheasants every trip down there and quail all over. Well after the article every hunter in Oregon stopped in to get their share. Within a couple years there was next to know birds down there and the hords finally quit going.

But the boy's ran great with a couple minor mishaps. First after about two and a half hours, Squirt came in full of blood. Looked him over and he'd ripped and ear leather on something, probably bard wire. That's the second time he did that in a week. Boy does that bleed a lot. Got it stopped a few times and he'd shake his head and get it going all over.

Bodie looked fine till I looked at his chest. Boy he split the skin good in a couple places but no blood. Both were really tire on the way home and slept great last night. Getting them to run the way they did yesterday has been a long time coming but seeing it was worth the wait and frustrations.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: No birds to be had here anymore.

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:19 pm

It is always that way isn't it. We have two sporting journals here and they give the coordinates and roads etc. It is ridiculous. They put the pay for the column above the birds and normal pressure.

At least the pups had a good run and probably real happy to be out and "free to be bird dogs".

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:49 pm

I know what you mean - I work hard to find my spots. Made the mistake of mentioning to the owner of the camp where I was staying at where I'd gotten into a few birds. I came back two weeks later and the place had been pounded. I can't blame him - naturally he wants to get his guests on birds so they come back. But shame on me - so now I keep my mouth shut.

But you can't control what gets published. I had been poking around some cuts I'd discovered for a few years, never flushed any birds but the cover was looking more and more promising. Then somebody published a story about these particular cuts and how they had been part of a habitat project some 10 or so years ago - with directions, GPS coordinates, and even Google earth images. If the birds had had a chance to re-establish before, they have much less of a chance now if hunting pressure increases.

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Get maps and start looking for new locations. I started applying the formula of water, food, cover to my map reading and I've been some what successful at finding new areas that others don't frequent very often. Even if you have a favorite spot, move off it and spend time checking out new locations so you don't over stress your honey hole. Just a thought.

I'm glad to hear your dogs were alright.