SW MN Pheasant hunting

dugger13

SW MN Pheasant hunting

Post by dugger13 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:19 am

Well... here i go again on my own...
I am going to make the trip. Have a spot to sleep and some buddies there for the weekend on private land. Anyone on the forum going to be around thursday and friday of this week? I am going to be by myself those 2 hunting days until the rest of the troops get there late friday night. I am going to be around the Okabena, area. Any tips for spots to try or help would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me as well. thanks

Hopefully me and the 2 dogs can scratch up a couple birds hear or there.

Chaingang

Re: SW MN Pheasant hunting

Post by Chaingang » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:36 pm

When you say sratch up a few birds you must then know about the DNR's bleak outlook for Pheasants this year. SW was down 82% from last year so you may be wearing out some boot leather to fill a days limit. But... still better than sittin home. :D

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:05 pm

I hunted around Okabena on the opener and saw a decent amount of birds. I had the best luck on WPA's.

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:39 pm

I've hunted SW MN the last two weekends and have done very well. Don't get too discouraged by the DNR reports. There are definitely less birds, but still plenty of them around. You just need to know where to look.

How I approach pheasant hunting in MN...
Look at each area you get to and decide which part of it you don't want to walk through because it looks too nasty. Then head to that part. :D
That's where the birds will be. About 90% of hunters avoid the nasty stuff and end up training the birds where to hide out.

The first weekend out, I saw about 40 birds in 4 hours of hunting.
Last weekend the birds were definitely more educated; but I saw around 20 birds.

I will be down in SW MN from Friday through Sunday. I may stop in that area at some point.

GOOD LUCK!

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 am

Gave up on MN and Ia this year me thinks- went to ND last week and it was OK off to SD tonight to check it out- SD even when down 40% is better vthan most states esp when Mr Jameson still raises WILD birds for all those wild bird lodges there.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:13 am

Well plans fell through again. Now i am stuck in wisconsin chasing grouse and woodcocks for the weekend. Poor me.

Might go later on in november or even december