Run in's with wolves

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Run in's with wolves

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:16 pm

As a grouse hunter from Ohio intending hunts in WI & MI for Grouse, I would like to find out what you folks up there do when faced with wolves or bear for that matter while running your dog on grouse? Both for your safety and the dogs. :idea:
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Georgia Boy

Re: Run in's with wolves

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:56 pm

When I hunt with my friends in WI I carry a 5 pack of 00 buck. I might have some explaining to do if I had to kill one but I would if it was me or my dog in danger. Last year alone they had 20 something dogs killed by wolves, those were only the ones reported. Mostly with bear dogs, the wolves have learned when they hear the dogs treed its a easy meal. I only know of one bird dog killed last year.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:40 pm

If you have a dog that hunts according to cover you'll be fine. If you have a big running dog 100 yds plus. By the time you get to him in the brush the damage will be done if the wolves find him. Then you'll have to decide Vet or No Vet:cry: Slugs are what I carry and remember S.S.S.

lucky guy

Post by lucky guy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:13 pm

I carry a handful of OO buck too and a sidearm.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:55 pm

I dont think its as bad as some make it out......Bear dogs are another story all
together

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Totally over blown subject. Rarely ever happens. Im in the woods 4-5 days/evening a week, in prime bear/wolf terrirory, and have never had a run in. Actually never heard of one, that I believed. City folk see one running by or hear one howl, and its all of a sudden a "run in" with a wolf, all complete and total bs, IMO. I have came accross a couple bear baits with bears on then when grouse hunting, they just run off. Carrying buck shot might make someone feel comfortable, but would likely never do any good, nor ever have a reason to use it. IF (and thats a giant if) an attack were ever to happen, by the time the buck shot was put in and you found the dog, it'd be long over. Every single wolf "incident: Ive ever heard of, Id attribute to 612ers creative imagination .

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:43 pm

The wolf kills in WI are documented by the DNR. It was one of the game wardens that had a dog killed last year. Funny after that they decided to take lethal measures on one particuliar pack.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Here it is for this year, BS my arse :roll: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/w ... depred.htm

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:40 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:Here it is for this year, BS my arse :roll: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/w ... depred.htm

LOL, lots of bird dogs on that list. :roll: My guess, most of those dogs were hunting/chasing the wolves. Its BS. Total bs.

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:52 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:Here it is for this year, BS my arse :roll: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/w ... depred.htm

LOL, lots of bird dogs on that list. :roll: My guess, most of those dogs were hunting/chasing the wolves. Its BS. Total bs.
I agree too..I have been hunting all these years in WI and northern MI and had never encountered any attacks. I have seen lots of wolves but many of them runs off and not too worry. I do carry my sidearm just for full protection but other than that people hear one thing and they seem to over state the fact. Hope you come up and enjoy this wonderful grouse country.
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:08 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:

Your guess is that the hounds listed were hunting the wolves?

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:18 pm

ACooper wrote:
baileydog2007 wrote:

Your guess is that the hounds listed were hunting the wolves?

For sure :lol:

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for all of your input. I have hunted WI in the past, with no problems. Just curious. In Ohio, my only problems is during turkey season, when I call in more yote's than turkeys and run in's with fox traps during bird season.
Thanks again.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:25 pm

I hunted WI for a week last year and one wolf was sighted in our area, no problems. If you could do the math and figure how many dogs are in the woods each year, divided by the number of dogs killed by wolves the chance of it happening to you are slim. But to say it never happens is just not true. It happens about 20 +/- times every year. Granted, mostly bear dogs killed at the tree or loose pets but bird dogs have been killed in very close proximity to their handlers with the wolves showing no fear of humans.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 am

I posted about this topic this summer.
I have concluded now that i am alot more concerned with a run-in with a porcupine than a wolf. I still think it could happen if you happen to be unlucky that day, After spending alot of hours in the woods over the last 20 years, I finally saw a timber wolf this year for the first time and it wasn't in the woods it was on the side of the road while I was in the vehicle!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 pm

Overrated. Reality yes, but hyped more than needed. You also need to look at when the dog kills happen. "Most" of them have to do when when wolf pup dens are being protected by mom and pop. Thus why you see more bear dogs getting nabbed. They run and train more than any other dog out there and are in the woods during those "odd" times.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:15 pm

MN_GROUSE_GUY wrote:I posted about this topic this summer.
I have concluded now that i am alot more concerned with a run-in with a porcupine than a wolf. I still think it could happen if you happen to be unlucky that day, After spending alot of hours in the woods over the last 20 years, I finally saw a timber wolf this year for the first time and it wasn't in the woods it was on the side of the road while I was in the vehicle!
We always seem to find a porky :lol:

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 pm

I don't have any experience with dogs and wolves, but I have a fair amount of experience with dogs and grizzlies from time spent working in Alaska and I'm guessing black bears would react similarly. In my experience bears hate dogs and unless they're wounded or cornered they're just going to run away. My theory is that it's because they might remind them of wolves since wolf packs are known for harassing grizzlies. I've seen 400lbs bears turn tail and run from a tiny jack russel. Funniest thing I've ever witnessed. That little dog was the best bear chaser in camp too. The Saint Bernard and the pit bull didn't even compare to that little guy. haha

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:10 pm

It isn't so much a problem with bird dog's as with hounds. No, the hounds don't hunt the wolves, the wolves hunt the hounds when their denning territories are intruded upon. The DNR is worried that they are now becoming aggressive toward human's both in Mn. and Wi. Last year they trapped out an entire pack in Jackson county that was threatening human's.

Carrying buckshot or slugs is illegal in Wi. I carry a 45 pistol.

Wolves don't bother me nor do bear. I'm just aware they're both there and that I have to share the woods with them. In Wi. you cannot defend your dog (by killing the wold) if one attacks your dog. It is illegal period to kill a wolf unless it attacks you. Whether the wolf is attacking the dog or me would be open to my interpretation.

Not anything to worry about, just something to be aware of. The further your dog ranges, the greater the danger to the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:45 pm

In GENERAL terms, not all of Wi. is wolf country either. If you N of Hwy 64, you're in wolf country. If you're NE of 64, wolves are spotty. The heavy concentraions are N and NW of 64 but they are spreading rapidly. We've all ready killed two in Door County, and there's another family up here now.

I belive that last year we euthanized ten wolves in Wi. Mn. killed nearly 200. Shows where the problem is. Mn. has 4-5 times the number of wolves we do.

teague33

Post by teague33 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:55 am

We have a cabin in Sawyer County WI, on 40 arces of land in the National and County forest. I wouldn't worry about the bears to much, usually we only rarely see them while bird hunting, they are good about getting away. With the wolves we will occasionally see tracks, and scat, but we've only heard them a handful of times. We carry a side arm with us for extra protection. When you look on the DNR website you'll see that most of the dogs taken down by wolves are bear dogs, and that's due largely to the hunting style of the sport. I've been up to hunt four times, and going up for the 5th this weekend. Use your best judgement, and enjoy.

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:02 am

We hunt NE Wi, and don't worry too much about bears while hunting. They are used to being chased by the hounds, so they must run off when our bird dogs come near. Plus, my wussy Setters and Wirehair would hopefully turn tail and run back to mama! :) After 30 years of hunting up there every weekend of the season nearly, we've encountered neither bear nor wolves. Thank God!!!q
We do worry about the wolves a bit, but hope the beepers would help repel them. Also The WDNR website has a map locating the basic areas the different packs hang out in, and try to avoid those areas. I don't even hunt near my parents house in north central Wi anymore because I saw two wolves 400 yards from their front door!!!!
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:42 am

dawgmama wrote: After 30 years of hunting up there every weekend of the season nearly, we've encountered neither bear nor wolves. Thank God!!!q
:lol: :lol: :lol: When my Draht was a pup we were hunting woodcock near Laona, she was about 6 months old at the time. I heard some ferocious puppy growls and barks, a yip, and here came pup over the hillocks, at 1000mph, mama bear behind her. I yelled and waived my cap and the bear turned off. She's never bothered another bear. Funny as heck.
dawgmama wrote:We do worry about the wolves a bit, but hope the beepers would help repel them. Also The WDNR website has a map locating the basic areas the different packs hang out in, and try to avoid those areas. I don't even hunt near my parents house in north central Wi anymore because I saw two wolves 400 yards from their front door!!!!
I really wonder about the beepers repelling wolves. If they attack baying hounds, seems to me a beeper would be like a dinner bell. DNR says no though. I'm not so sure.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 am

I wouldn't worry about bear much, I worked at a ranch this summer doing research in what was supposedly one of the highest concentrations of troubled bears in the US (this is where they released the bears caught digging in trash and going into peoples homes around aspen, co and other places). I was worried my brittany would try and chase one down as he was in the field with me during my work day. This never happened, a co-worker though did run into a couple of tagged bears that were not at all scared of him. There were also a lot of cougar in this area that were gps collared, we were working right in their territory and that is what I was scared of picking off my dog. It didn't help that the cougar researchers reconfirmed my fears with dog/cougar stories. Yikes! Meanwhile they hunted them with dart guns and hound dogs. Now I live in the four corners region. It is best if you loose your dog to find them before they have to spend the night out. Garmin Astro!!!

pumatom

Post by pumatom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:05 am

> I would be concerned anytime in wolf areas.
> Here in Idaho there have been numerous dogs killed, mostly hounds.
> Not just during spring, packs of lion dogs have been killed winter time.