He made it Finally... He point the Ruffies :D

mobeasto123

He made it Finally... He point the Ruffies :D

Post by mobeasto123 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Yesterday was the happiest day for me and my dog in a long time.. We went hunting the ruffed grouse near my camp. At my surprise the first bird we encountered my dog Pointed it.. After the shot he fetched the bird to my hand. We walked about 20 feet and he goes on point again I was more than surprised there was another Ruffie right So I've shot it too !! He repeated it 6 times in the day and 1 this morning by the time we went to the truck.. So I think that finally work with him, he understood..

Some of those point were at more than 40 feet and all birds were in the woods, if the dog had not been there .. We wouldn't have any bird on this trip..

I'm so happy I can't believe it myself, I feel like I won the Loto..

Thanks to all of you that gave me some tips to achieve that with my dog . :D

Thanks Again

David

[imgImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/img]
Last edited by mobeasto123 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

marysburg

Re: He made it Finally... He point the Ruffies :D

Post by marysburg » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Congratulations! Now you receive the reward for all your hard work and dedication, and I think I can see your big smile from 2000 miles away! Have fun with your wonderful pup.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:58 pm

There is nothing like the satisfaction of a young dog getting it all put together.

mik

Post by mik » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Awesome!!!

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Outstanding - no better feeling.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:21 am

Gotta love it. They just need to learn on the bird and when you are happy it makes them look harder and understand the whole sequence.

Big Congrats.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Croix

Post by Croix » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:18 pm

mobeasto123, congrats! Sounds awesome.

How old is your dog. And can I ask you, was he bumping birds prior to this hunt? I ask because I'm going through this now.

Thanks in advance and again, great Job!

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm

mobeasto123, congrats! Sounds awesome.

How old is your dog. And can I ask you, was he bumping birds prior to this hunt? I ask because I'm going through this now.

Thanks in advance and again, great Job!
Hi, my dog got 2 years old on october 5th, He was bumping those birds before this hunt.. But only the ruffies, he was ok with woodcock, pigeons and Chukkars.. But on ruffies he was about a nearly 1 point in 5 birds on the last 2 weeks and bumped every other birds.. My trainer told me to Nick him with the e-collar when he flush a bird and move up the intensity every few bird to make him understand to he must absolutely not flush those birds. Some disagreed and some agreed with it but I think it worked.. After this I put the dog on Whoa for about 2-3 minutes and make him understand by the way I act that it wasn't good...

Saturday it was the Day.. I don't know why maybe God has something to do with it but .. He pointed each and every bird on his path and it was in real hard wood .. Some of them were about 30-40 feet deep in the woods and he was pointing them right in the trail..we had to walk in the wood prior to the flush while the dog was still pointing in the trail.. Some other point he was himself in the deep wood and his bell stopped so we got in the wood to see the dog steady like a rock and we could flush it and shoot it before in get in the trees.. As I said he made it 6 times that day. I tought It was impossible .. But the next morning just by the time we went from the camp to the truck about 3/4 mile in Quad he pointed again 1 ruffed grouse from 25 feet and the bird was 10 feet in the woods..

The time will tell me if it was only luck or he just got it .
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Croix

Post by Croix » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks mobeasto123

My Setter is 1 year old. I'm in the same boat as you were! He is steady on pigeons and quail. Had my first point on friday, woodcock.

But ruffies are a whole different game, bumps every one he comes across. Keep hearing that one day it will just click. Sounds like that day has come for you!

Thanks for answering my questions. Good luck.

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Nice job Ruffies are fer and far between here in Cali. Only two allowed per season.