Oklahoma birds

proudag08

Oklahoma birds

Post by proudag08 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 am

Recently I have been invited to hunt on a large ranch "whenever I want" and for "whatever you want as long as its in season, plus any varmits you see". The ranch is near Okemah, OK. I have only been out there once before but dont want to pass up a chance to get out and hunt a little bit.

So I had a couple of questions before I took a scouting trip up ther to look it over. First, I live in Texas so I will need an out of state license. Anyone ever have any trouble getting one? I wouldnt think I would but I was just wondering. Second, are there any wild birds in OK? If so, what kind? Third, if you were in my spot what would be the first thing you did on your scouting trip up there? Should I take feeders and a blind? Should I just scout it out this year and get serious about setting it up for next years seasons? Should I take a game camera?

I go pick up my pup on Wednesday so I wont be hunting this season anyway, but thought that I could get some deer hunting in and maybe some duck and turkey later on this year. This will be my first hunting area to set up from scratch so I was just curious what that would entail! Thanks!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Oklahoma birds

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:21 am

NR license is available at www.wildlifedepartment.com, but I don't know about the hunters' ed requirements for out of state.

Huntable upland birds include bobwhite, pheasant (west of I-35 only), snipe and woodcock. Waterfowl species, seasons and limits are listed on the ODW site.

Numbers are not great on upland.

Baiting is not cool, by the way, although deer feeders sprout like mushrooms on most private lands. Hogs are unregulated and considered a nuisance.

For most surveys, you are best on a fourwheeler or horse.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Possible that there could be some quail there, and likely that there will be some nice deer and a mess of turkeys in the area. Get your stand up in a hurry rifle season opens next weekend, bow season goes until Jan 15th I think.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks guys! I might have to have some of you come out and scout it out with me the first time I get up there! I need to know what to look for!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:06 am

It is however legal to bait and feed deer on private land anytime. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it taboo.

Legal to feed deer or bait deer anywhere in the state anytime on private land. I took this from a website that lists regulations for baiting deer in all 50 states.

As far as your hunter safety card goes Oklahoma will accept them from any state, mine is from Louisiana. They just changed the age limit on them so now I don't need one anymore. Oklahoma's regs on deer limits are a bit confusing. You can take up to 6 deer a year. You can take 1 buck and now 2 doe, it used to be one doe, during blackpowder except in zone 1 which is Texas and Cimmaron counties in the Panhandle where you are not allowed to shoot doe with a blackpowder rifle. You can take 1 buck and 2 doe during rifle season but the does must be taken on the first or last day of the season and at least one of the does has to come from zones 2,7 or 8 and once again no shooting doe in the Panhandle zone 1 or you can take all 6 deer during archery season but you can kill no more than 2 bucks a year. Get all that? :D

Here is a link for you.http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hu ... er-season/

Have fun and good luck.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:57 am

Okemah? For Quail? Not a good option to be honest the state East of I-35 has been dismal for Quail for many years and this year is no better, worse than last year honestly. I have grounds I have worked dogs on for years due North of Okemah and there are very few wild birds there nor have there been for a long time. Deer hunting is good around that are though and there are some wild hogs as well as a bonus.