Ca. Phez hunt

NorCalGSP

Ca. Phez hunt

Post by NorCalGSP » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 am

I took my 11 month GSP out for his second real hunt today. We got to the field a little late so I was sure I would see hunters in the spot when I got there. But to my surprise there was nobody. If your from CA you know how hard Public lands get hunted and a late start is sure to hurt your odds most of the time. Excited to see we had the field all to ourselves I had planned to walk the edge of the field first then head to the center on the way back into the wind. However my pup had a plan of his own.
As soon as we entered the field Rock headed straight to the center about 50 yards away. I wanted to work the edge first and almost called him back that way but was glad I didnt when he locked up. As I approached I noticed he had lost that intense look. I figured the bird had ran so I released him. He put his nose to the ground and did a few circles and loops and up pops a rooster. I dropped it with my grandfathers old Winchester Model 12 he passed on to me. Rock picked it up and pranced around showing off his trophy before handing it over. He had a 2 other birds flush on the run after this but it didnt tarnish our day at all. Our work is paying off. I know there is still a long road ahead of us but that first bird over a dog was really something special.
To make things even sweeter Rock is a Rescue and before I got him I had never even seen a Gundog work. I read the books, watched the tapes, and put in the work and it is really an achievement to me and my dog to get a Wild bird on public land for his first bird. Just wanted to share this with a few people who can appreciate it. Image

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Re: Ca. Phez hunt

Post by DGFavor » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 am

Right on man!! Cool story!! :mrgreen:

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:42 am

Good stuff, thanks for sharing! Sure is fun when things start clicking and the hardwork pays off!
I always enjoy hearing sucess stories with rescue dogs, we have a rescue as well, seems all that much sweeter when they do great. Rock is good lookin' dog!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 am

Way to go...public land wild pheasants in ca is not for the faint of heart...well done

Joe

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:35 am

Good job! I might go to el centro for wild phez this year. One wild phez in California a year is good.

lucky guy

Post by lucky guy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:01 am

What a boy!! The look on his face says it all!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 am

Congrats, he found a needle in the haystack.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:48 am

That's freaking SWEET! Great job!

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:54 am

Thanx for the kind words. It looks like its going to be a good season for upland here in CA. Everything is still really green for this time of year. I am just itching to get back out there but I rolled my truck deer hunting so my outing will more than likely be few and far between this year due to transportation issues. Hope my dog will forgive me.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:52 pm

...well tell us the rolled truck story

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Way to go. CA is tough and getting tougher. Weather was great for the opener tho.

Cozzy171

Post by Cozzy171 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:39 am

Sounds exactly like my story. Didn't know a lick about gundogs, rescued one, and the rest is history. Have trained on lots of planted birds but just took our first wild birds this season as well. What a thrill, it is a sickness and your dedication is proving itself. Congrats.

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 am

The truck story is pretty simple. Hit black ice doing 45mph slid sideways for about 40yds went off the road and did one full rotation landing on the wheels. Kicked out the windshield and drove back down the hill in the snow.Brrrrrr

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:31 pm

bummer...were you up 50 or 80? I am the third generation born in Auburn...I have probably been near your tumble

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 pm

it was right past Stumpy Meadows right before Icehouse road. here is a few pics. Image Image

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Awesome story. My pup is still trying to figure out pheasant. He points but doesn't know why they run away. Chukar and Quail both sit still for him! Congrads on a rescue, if your feeling evil go hunt test or field trial him. I get the oddest looks from Judges and breeders when I tell them I have a rescue. :twisted:

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:30 pm

"To make things even sweeter Rock is a Rescue and before I got him I had never even seen a Gundog work. I read the books, watched the tapes, and put in the work and it is really an achievement to me and my dog to get a Wild bird on public land for his first bird. Just wanted to share this with a few people who can appreciate it."

I think people who attempt to train their own dogs get way more out of it than the guy who buys a dog and sends it to a trainer for months at a time. Great story. Sorry about your truck. Did the rollover get your attention?

NorCalGSP

Post by NorCalGSP » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 am

helpful_cub wrote:Awesome story. My pup is still trying to figure out pheasant. He points but doesn't know why they run away. Chukar and Quail both sit still for him! Congrads on a rescue, if your feeling evil go hunt test or field trial him. I get the oddest looks from Judges and breeders when I tell them I have a rescue. :twisted:
The rollover was the most exciting thing that has happened to me all year. Really got the adrenaline pumping.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Sounds like he is coming on well for you mate.
Good hunting.

ATB
Dave.