Cold weather hunts

Colo kid

Cold weather hunts

Post by Colo kid » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:49 am

When is it to cold to hunt pheasants?,with a dog .

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Cold weather hunts

Post by nikegundog » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:57 am

In MN if its above 0 the weekends are filled with guys out pheasant hunting. I really believe that if it warm enough for you to be out, its warm enough for the dog. My limit is about 0, if its below that I'm ice fishing, I'm sure the dog would be fine at quite a bit below that.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:36 am

Don't worry about cold. Once it's below zero it's all just cold, unless the wind kicks up. Then head for cover. I've been in cold at -65* below zero. With the wind blowing it became D**N cold! I wouldn't let the dog get wet at much below 10* though
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:47 am

I discovered that due to my GSP's mostly black coat, he self dries and solar heats really well. Plus he runs even faster the colder it gets. I haven't really found a limit to "how cold" he can tolerate. I know its lower than what I want to tolerate which is around freezing... He is a blanket mole in the evening though. He loves to crawl under the blankets and sleep beside me. He's not spoiled or anything. :-P

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:48 am

DonF wrote:Don't worry about cold. Once it's below zero it's all just cold, unless the wind kicks up. Then head for cover. I've been in cold at -65* below zero. With the wind blowing it became D**N cold! I wouldn't let the dog get wet at much below 10* though
Just had to ask where you were at that you saw -65?

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:33 am

Never hunted Pheasant when it's around 0, for 2 reasons, I live in Ohio, and when it's that cold I'm grouse hunting. Back when I was hardcore and totally addicted to grouse (a terrible disease, had to spend time at Grouseaholics Anon.) my two buds & I went out at -20 with our Britts and did fairly well and the dogs worked hard with little wind, but 8" of snow. The following day we went out at -13 with different Britts. It was so windy, when we got back to the truck our chaps were so frozen they stood up by themselves and our bolts were frozen in our guns. Now that's fun.
And, by the way, that was late January, early February. Went back to those same clear cuts the following year(s) and had several 20-30 flushes. So much for Jan./Feb. hunting being too hard on the birds. It's all about hunting quality habitat, not marginal habitat. Sorry to go off on a different tangent. That topic should stir up the controversy pot.
Merry Christmas!
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 pm

It's too cold for the dog when it's too cold for me. I'll go to about -15 ambient, depending on wind. I've been out at -20 on a calm sunny day, but 5 above with a windchill of -10 was terrible!

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 pm

I was out in Goodland, KS last weekend. There was about 6-8" of snow and the temp was hovering around 10-15 degrees. Didn't slow my pointer down much, but I could tell he was cold. I felt sorry for him so I let him ride up front in the cab. A long haired dog might fair better in that type of weather. I just keep a good eye on him, and made him wait out a couple fields. I really think he would hunt until he died if I let him.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:53 pm

My wife and I hunted ND last year when it was as cold as -19 (in the morning). We put nylon bootties and orange fleece vests on our dogs and kept hunts relatively short (<1hr). The dogs (SM and mostly slick coated GWP) did fine, but they definitely required a lot time warming and drying in the cab of the truck (we did too)!

MillerGSP

Post by MillerGSP » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I can recall back 3 years ago, I took Ratchet (my late lab) out duck hunting. It was about 6 degrees in the blind and in the negatives outside, but he didnt mind one bit that it was cold and his job required him to get wet. Always kept his eyes in the sky. Really wish he was still with me.
But seriously, he would break ice to get to a downed bird.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 am

Two years ago right before Christmas we went back up to SD and it was -23 and throw in the wind chill and it ended up being -30 out. We hunted all day for three days and the dog loved it. I remember getting back into the truck after that first field and the four of us had ice on the eyebrows and eyelashes. It was a blast! I tried putting one of those dog vest on and my dog had a fit, he hated that thing so I took it off.

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Ptarmigan hunt in Alaska. I think it was December 27th. Truck thermometer said -34° F and the wind was blowing on the ridges. Dog had no problems. We did have a vest on her durring the hunt though, just took it off for the pictures.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:25 pm

whoa on 'em wrote:Ptarmigan hunt in Alaska. I think it was December 27th. Truck thermometer said -34° F and the wind was blowing on the ridges. Dog had no problems. We did have a vest on her durring the hunt though, just took it off for the pictures.
That was a fun hunt! Here's another picture from that same day.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 am

Thanks for the pics..That looks like a awesome time..This post is getting me cranked up for second season....PA Rifle deer season ends today :DT

I love getting into covey of birds roosted under the snow...Thier is nothing like seeing 4 to 5 grouse busting out from under the snow at once..It only happens for me a couple times a year,BUT I'll remember everyone to the day I Die..
Last edited by rschmeider on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:36 am

cutty72 wrote:It's too cold for the dog when it's too cold for me. I'll go to about -15 ambient, depending on wind. I've been out at -20 on a calm sunny day, but 5 above with a windchill of -10 was terrible!

+1
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Pryor Creek Okie wrote:
whoa on 'em wrote:Ptarmigan hunt in Alaska. I think it was December 27th. Truck thermometer said -34° F and the wind was blowing on the ridges. Dog had no problems. We did have a vest on her durring the hunt though, just took it off for the pictures.
That was a fun hunt! Here's another picture from that same day.
Okie, I won't tell everyone how much trouble you had with the snow shoes :wink:
Happiness is a warm gun.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:28 am

nikegundog wrote:
DonF wrote:Don't worry about cold. Once it's below zero it's all just cold, unless the wind kicks up. Then head for cover. I've been in cold at -65* below zero. With the wind blowing it became D**N cold! I wouldn't let the dog get wet at much below 10* though
Just had to ask where you were at that you saw -65?
Prudoe Bay. On US 30 in Nebraska one time years ago it hit about the same with the chill factor in.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 am

Reading thru this I realize that a lot to do with cold in people is age. When I was young, mid 30's, I did the cold without much trouble. My son was born in Kalispell, Mont Dec 6, 1972. Myself and my inlaws went to the hospital and all I had on was a wool shirt. Of course I wasn't out very long. It was -20*. I'd go out in weather like that quite often just to go hunting. Just under zero I took my Springer out duck hunting on the North shore of Flathead Lake. That day but Skipper had ice balls on his feet and I almost didn't get the car to start. Now if the weather here at home get's down to the mid 20's i'm fine unless the wind blows; then I head for the fire place.

When I think about some of the weather I've drug my dog's out into, I wonder just how smart that really was? A Lab or Cheesie, sure but a shorthaired dog with little undercoat or even a long haired dog with little undercoat. If we'are out there with our dogs, they are probably gonna go as best they can for us. Us, being the key word. I don't really have any idea how much cold an animal can stand, probably more than I might think but I doubt as cold as I have taken them out in can really be all that good for them.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Some one needs to explain my dogs laying down in puddles if you break the ice so they can drink if they are really cold. I think they stay a lot warmer than you think. Bring them into the house in the evening and they love to sleep on the bed in the unheated bedroom and search for bare floors when in the heated portion. I keep my bedroom window open till it gets belor 30 out and the dogs love it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.