Oklahoma Quail

crazysooner

Oklahoma Quail

Post by crazysooner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Has anyone hunted western Oklahoma this year for quail? I'm thinking about a trip out there the week before Christmas and was wondering what to expect.

Redfishkilla

Re: Oklahoma Quail

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Expect a lot of walking with few birds...if any. Good Luck.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:38 pm

It sucks out here. No quail or pheasant this year. Horrible, worst I have seen it and I have lived here for about 25 years.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:14 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:It sucks out here. No quail or pheasant this year. Horrible, worst I have seen it and I have lived here for about 25 years.
Ellis County warden said the same thing, only he's been there longer...

It was sad. We are going out again over Christmas anyway. Kill a few doves, maybe a doe or two...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:38 am

This summer I talked to some farmer/ranchers from my area, they are roughly my dad's age in their 60's, they stated to me it was the driest and hottest they had ever seen it and they were born and raised here and had been here their whole lives. Just a real bad year for birds and it is going to take at least a couple years of good moisture whether it be snow or rain to bring them back paired with a couple of years of mild winters. For us mild winters isn't about snow amounts, that is where we get the majority of our precipitation for the year, by mild winters I mean temps. that are not in the -30 to -40's like we have had the past couple of years for a week to a week and a half at a time. Keep the temps. above that matched with decent snow and good rain in the spring and in a couple years we should have good bird numbers again. Probably wishful thinking but I hope it happens.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:24 am

Yeah, Brian is in his 50s...

At this point wishful thinking is about all we've got it seems like sometimes...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I was looking at transferring to a college in the Oklahoma panhandle because of the pheasant out there. When I was there in May for a visit we made a loop into the country, from the campus to the highway, and counted 28 birds flushed in about five miles. Some stuff came up and I couldn't transfer out there, but I called a few folks I know out there, trying to find a place to hunt so I could head out there for a weekend. The guys I called, hard core hunters, said they haven't seen any birds in months.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I hope your birds return. Here in Central KY the winters of 77 and 78 nearly wiped out the quail. They have yet to return to those numbers.